Archinect
anchor

Continuing Education

designermom

Does anyone know what the State of New York accepts as continuing education hours? I finished about 7 classes on line using AEC Daily and am not sure these would be acceptable. My 36 hours are due in August. Thanks!

Nov 30, 17 8:05 pm
designermom

Thanks, guys. Christopher- could you send me a link to the website? I couldn't find this information on it. Thank you!

Dec 1, 17 8:15 am  · 
 · 
randomised

And you are licensed, how?

Dec 1, 17 8:56 am  · 
 · 

Which website are you looking at? The one I found was pretty clear. It even tells you which sponsors (providers) are approved by the state, and what the acceptable course subject matter needs to be.

Dec 1, 17 4:40 pm  · 
 · 

NY requires 36 hours every three years ... 12 per year average which seems to be pretty standard for most jurisdictions I'm familiar with. At least half must be from "courses of learning," and two-thirds must be HSW. 

Dec 1, 17 4:40 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I have 72hr requirements on 2y cycles.

Dec 1, 17 4:52 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Ricky, that 72 hour is the Canadian requirement.

Dec 24, 17 6:17 am  · 
 · 
Gloominati

Rick also some of us have overlapping requirements for multiple states, and for AIA, LEED specialties, CSI, ICC, PMI, etc. Since not all credits satisfy the particular requirements of all of these states/organizations/credentials, I end up with far more credits per year than any one of these things requires on its own. Last year I had close to 100. This year isn't done yet, but it will be close to the same.

Dec 24, 17 11:16 am  · 
 · 
archietechie

Oh Dave...where art thou' s humor gone?

Life's too short to get worked up over an anonymous internet profile. Doesn't matter if you're licensed or not, what matters is whether you know your shit inside out, on site or not.

And if some young punk tried to shove his license in your face, take him to school with your knowledge.

Dec 2, 17 3:59 pm  · 
 · 
archietechie

Well then...welcome to the internet/2017-18.

Dec 2, 17 9:26 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Posting less often reduces the risk of being insulted.

And posting far less often greatly reduces that risk.

Dec 2, 17 4:32 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

Nevada accepts practically anything for continuing ed - as long as it grants AIA HSW's you should be good.  Do 4 online read-the-article-take-the-multiple-choice-quiz credits and you'll be done in less than an hour: http://continuingeducation.bn...  Nevada counts those as fulfilling the "structured setting" requirement.  No need to travel. 

Also Nevada only requires 8 units (less than any other state that has a continuing ed requirement) AND you can carry units over from the previous renewal period if you had extras.  How much easier could it get?

New York is a different story - they snag too many people on the in-person thing.

Dec 11, 17 4:23 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

Fake prez, real architect. Oh, wait....

Dec 11, 17 7:23 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

I didn't think anyone read the online articles. Just skip to the quiz.

Dec 12, 17 9:30 am  · 
 · 
Bloopox

Can't you get a few product reps to bring you lunch and do their spiel for credits?

Dec 12, 17 12:43 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I already said I'll do your CEU's. What is easier than that?

Dec 12, 17 9:29 am  · 
 · 
3tk

36 every 3 - pretty standard; note that the powers that make these decisions are headed toward 12/yr and only HSW (which makes sense as the license is supposed to be to protect public HSW).  Mr Rob Lopez and co can be pretty strict on what's allowed so pre-approved credits are recommended.  Otherwise the course description should include topics that are listed as part of the state's description of the profession.

Dec 12, 17 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

So are there any units about riveting?

Dec 20, 17 6:34 pm  · 
 · 

This is the closest one to riveting that I'm aware of ... but it doesn't really cover riveting (sorry); Categorized by Design: AESS.

I take that back ... there are some that cover riveting; Connection Solutions for Modern Wood Buildings, and Connection Solutions for Wood Framed Structures.

Dec 20, 17 6:58 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

I was (as usual) wittily riffing with wordplay, but I looked at those sources, EA, and there's some beautiful work in there. It's all about the joints!

Dec 20, 17 7:02 pm  · 
 · 

Wit, wordplay, riffing ... I'm only here to help ;)

Dec 20, 17 7:07 pm  · 
 · 
StephenW

Last year I had 147 CEUs. I needed 30. Does that make me 390% extra compliant? Can I slack off for the 3+ years?

Jan 23, 18 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
proto

large office with a bunch of lunch/learns is my guess

Jan 23, 18 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
proto

3 free lunches per week -- that's probably the motivator

Jan 23, 18 6:37 pm  · 
 · 
StephenW

It wasn't a serious question Rick. Anyway my license is on a 2-year cycle with a 3 month grace period, and LEED is a 3-year renewal, so I could slack off for 2+ years now. As for building codes: IBC and NFPA are on 3-year cycles, so if continuing ed rules were based on code education it would make sense to put everything on a 3-year cycle.

Jan 23, 18 10:30 pm  · 
 · 
StephenW

No such thing as mid-cycle code amendments here, because the state only assembles the code task force every 3 years (or sometimes 6 - they've been known to skip whole editions of IBC). It doesn't matter what addenda get issued by ICC in between, because the state never adopts those. I think the primary purposes of license renewal are to collect fees, and to have another gate at which to catch delinquent taxes, child support, and traffic fines. Some states don't even have any continuing ed requirements, but they still have license renewal.

Jan 24, 18 9:13 am  · 
 · 
StephenW

I got sent to a couple of multi-day training things - one of them was 25 HSW's and another was 11.  And a few half-day code trainings and insurance company seminars, so another 16 or 20 came from those. My AIA chapter has a film series that counts for 2 or 3 HSW's per movie, there's one in most months. I get some for being on an advisory committee that meets for 2 hours once a month.  And the rest from lunch and learns, but I think we only average one per week.

Jan 23, 18 6:49 pm  · 
 · 
StephenW

Lunch and learns are by definition during lunch - so not part of billable time. Same with evening movies, and the volunteer time. Sending us all to the insurance seminars pays for itself in the associated insurance discount.

Jan 23, 18 10:25 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Cant sleep. Doing CEU's at 2:30 am...

Jan 26, 18 4:42 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: