Archinect
anchor

To Wallpaper or Not to Wallpaper?

maggiewalsh

Hello Everyone! My name is Maggie and I am working on an interior design project where I am trying to understand how people use wallpaper. Has anyone here used wallpaper recently in a project? I’d love to hear all sides of the subject, good, bad and ugly.

Nov 16, 17 12:21 pm
Non Sequitur

People still use wallpaper?

Nov 16, 17 12:41 pm  · 
1  · 
maggiewalsh

Hahahah, Thats a good enough answer for me :)

Nov 20, 17 11:42 am  · 
 · 
estyle

I can't reply to your main question for some reason, so I am replying here. The question is huge--are you talking single family residential, multi-family, institutional, commercial? There are reasons to use wall paper or wall covering in all of those. Right now it is trendy in single family residential, which makes sense. Things go in and out of style to get us redecorating and spending money. Wall coverings are useful in larger buildings, as others have pointed out, because they have different levels of durability and washability that make them functionally better than painted drywall but cheaper than tile or panel. Recently I've seen custom wall coverings a lot in elevator lobbies of multifamily residential. It is an easy way to add some graphic interest to a smallish space.

Mar 9, 20 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

only if it's very expensive and shiny, in the powder room. 

for main areas walls we've been using colored venetian plaster. 

Nov 16, 17 1:13 pm  · 
 · 
maggiewalsh

Is shiny in?? And why expensive only, which qualities vary the most between expensive and cheap?

Nov 20, 17 11:43 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

Yes

Nov 20, 17 11:46 pm  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

Wouldn't touch wall paper with a 10' pole.

Surefire way to make your project dated... use wall paper... and an interior designer.

Nov 16, 17 1:30 pm  · 
 · 

We only use three kinds. Gold leaf, Mark Evans, and $100 bills.

Nov 16, 17 1:40 pm  · 
1  · 
JLC-1

not the diamond crust?

Nov 16, 17 2:09 pm  · 
 · 

No, it looks like cheap glitter.

Nov 16, 17 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

you're right, oops, it's upside down....

Nov 16, 17 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

No, running bond.

Nov 16, 17 4:25 pm  · 
 · 

Mnuchin shopping for new wallcoverings? Shame he can't afford the $100 version. Miles is right though, I'd prefer running bond.

Nov 17, 17 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
archinine
I believe wall covering is en vogue and far more durable than paper. That's what my interior designers always spec.
Nov 16, 17 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

semantics

Nov 17, 17 11:52 am  · 
 · 
randomised

That's not semantics, when it isn't paper it isn't paper...

Nov 17, 17 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
maggiewalsh

do you have a better opinion of wall coverings? Do most people here make that differentation?

Nov 20, 17 11:45 am  · 
 · 
randomised

It's either wallpaper or desktop background in my experience.

Nov 21, 17 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

I use wallpaper all the time. Actually just redecorated, just put up the cover of Unknown Pleasures by Joy Division, without interference of interior decorators or designers. Very pleased with the result, really ties my computer screen together.

Nov 16, 17 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

Nice. Does the computer screen have to be perfectly flat? Do imperfections transfer through the wall paper?

Nov 16, 17 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Yes it works best on a flat screen and it unfortunately doesn't cover up fatty finger prints.

Nov 17, 17 1:18 am  · 
 · 

The wallpaper for my blog used to be tiled, now it is just blown up and pixelated. Why archinect? Why?

Nov 16, 17 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

I only use velcro for wall paper... you know so incase anyone is walking around in a sticky suit with a trampoline they can stick themselves to the wall.

Nov 16, 17 4:20 pm  · 
 · 

Wall paper AKA wall coverings can be useful, be wary of the flame spread and if they are washable or not. i only use washable in bathrooms and in areas where water or food are even remotely likely to be spilled. Some of the chemicals in the mastic can react with varnish or metals in a bad way. The textured wall coverings can be hard to turn a corner with and if they are in places where folks will touch or brush up on it they look dirty fast. 

Also make sure you look at it under the same lighting as it will be installed, some colors and textures look good under one lighting type and washed out in others.

I don't hate wall coverings but they are tricky on large walls or walls that are near windows because the shadows and the seams can really stand out in natural light. Wrapping round columns with wall coverings is the worst, don't do it.

Over and OUT

Peter N

Nov 17, 17 9:24 am  · 
 · 
maggiewalsh

How do you know if they are flammable? Is that with the product? How do you know which chemicals are in the mastic?

Nov 20, 17 11:49 am  · 
 · 
chigurh

fear of wallpaper is an antiquated modernist ideal..ornament and crime...fear of decoration and not being an expression of the tectonics of the building is BS.  Use whatever you want in a creative and tasteful way.  

Nov 17, 17 11:51 am  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

Who's afraid of wall paper?

Nov 17, 17 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/vie...

Nov 17, 17 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
maggiewalsh

@everyone How do you decide on a product? What is the biggest determining factor for you when you choose a specific thing, like a paint, wallpaper, flooring, etc.? 

Nov 20, 17 11:52 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

mostly by what the clients like and can afford.

Nov 20, 17 12:16 pm  · 
 · 

First is to see if what is permitted in the code for the type of area I want to use it in. Then does it do what I need it to do (looks, sound attenuation, other functional requirements) and then if I have the budget for it.

Nov 20, 17 12:20 pm  · 
 · 
maggiewalsh

How do you find products that adhere to a certain code? Is that limiting?

Nov 20, 17 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

yeas, by code or specific ordinance in some applications you cannot have some materials - you would know if you build something

Nov 20, 17 1:32 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Biggest determining factor for my wallpaper is resolution obviously.

Nov 21, 17 2:23 pm  · 
 · 
( o Y o )

Just go to the forums at inferiordesign.com  

Nov 20, 17 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

talking about wall paper, Charles Manson died today.  I'm sad that wall paper didn't die as well. 

Nov 20, 17 8:02 pm  · 
 · 
Joe Soda

Small bathrooms only. And then use only wanted posters, or pages from the Tribune Tower competition book.

Nov 23, 17 3:43 pm  · 
 · 
FlameAura

Miu Miu Aoyama store by HdM has some sort of wallpaper/textile, looks quite nice in my opinion :) 

Nov 23, 17 5:24 pm  · 
 · 
arch76

wall paper/covering is like painting your wooden kitchen cabinets or getting a tattoo. its hard to go back once you do it, but if initially done well, can be an integral design element

Dec 12, 18 9:55 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

don't use a wallpaper that isn't vapor permeable on an exterior wall.

Dec 12, 18 11:52 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: