Archinect
anchor

Ethics and Starting Your Own Practice

Ronstar

I am currently employed at an arch firm and have recently started my own practice on the side, which my employer does not know about. Additionally, I never signed a non-compete clause. So far the plan has been to generate enough work at my new firm to allow me, at some point, to give my 2 weeks notice to my current employer. 

I am putting together an RFQ response where I list a project I’ve been working on while employed at this current firm; the project is currently under construction and I cite the work as being performed while employed at current firm (employer). I just want to make sure that I am not violating any professional conduct guidelines per AIA by including this work in my RFQ response. 

Any advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks. 

Oct 31, 17 2:09 pm
poop876

Why AIA?

Oct 31, 17 2:12 pm  · 
 · 

Are you worried about AIA professional conduct guidelines, or that your current employer will find out about your side hustle?

Oct 31, 17 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
MDH-ARCH

I am in the exact same position but not so much concerned about RFQ's. More so about not getting caught and fired. I am going to start a similar thread so I dont high jack yours. Good luck?

Oct 31, 17 2:25 pm  · 
 · 

Did your boss decide not to retire?

Oct 31, 17 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
MDH-ARCH

We have not had any further conversations about it. I'm also not a sucker and cant sit around for 5-10 years hanging on hope. I feel I need to start doing my own thing in the mean time, but don't want to jeopardize what I have.

Oct 31, 17 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
joseffischer

He says such in the response at the end. He jumped the gun, but got a 25k bonus and talk of the title 'associate'

Oct 31, 17 3:23 pm  · 
 · 
archinine
Seems like a conflict of interest using work from the firm you're currently at that isn't even finished. While it's common for new firms to mention older projects performed at previous firms...it's just that, work done at previous firms, not the one you're still at.

Technically it depends on what sort of agreements and such you signed when joining your current operation. Usually the big places have a lengthy hr/marketing document you must sign that prohibits this act quite directly. Smaller places not so much.

Permission to use finished work later in life is completely different than concurrent in progress work...but you should certainly have permission. A lot of smaller places will gladly encourage use but it really depends on the principal.

If you don't have enough to show that's complete and/or from past employers you may reconsider trying to win this job.
Oct 31, 17 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
Ronstar
Thanks for the responses everyone....as far as my concerns go, it didn’t really seem to pass the smell test to me - I understand using projects for personal marketing purposes (resumes, CVS, etc. while seeking employment), but since the projects I’m talking about would be included in a document to solicit a specific project for my own firm’s viability, that complicates matters as a few of the responses note...and yes, I’m also a little worried about my employer finding out about my new venture and deciding it’s incongruous with my remaining employed - not that I would necessarily disagree with that sentiment if I was on the other side of the table, but my goal is to leave on my own terms and on good terms with my current employer.

I figure that that the reality of starting one’s own firm - with a few exceptions, of course - deals to a great extent in these types of decisions - where one is trying prevent, for as long as possible, the collision between the 8-5 job and the 6-midnight job, but I guess that just sounds like my wanting it both ways, huh? At some point, you have to commit to your convictions.
Oct 31, 17 4:00 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: