Archinect
anchor

strategies for getting unstuck

RValu100

What are some good strategies for when you're working on a drawing and either no solution looks good, or all solutions look equally good?

Sep 27, 17 11:57 am

1 Featured Comment

All 8 Comments

pick one and ask someone with more experience or more specific knowledge about the solution to verify that it will work. 

Sep 27, 17 12:00 pm  · 
 · 
Featured Comment
Wilma Buttfit

When no solution looks good, take a walk or do anything physically engaging. Change medium - do paper and pencil if you've been on the computer and vice versa. Write a narrative to work it out in words instead of images. Re-analyze the objectives (ask what is it you are really trying to do?) When you think all your solutions are equally good, ask for a crit.

Sep 27, 17 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
archinine
Eeny meeny miney moe
Sep 27, 17 12:45 pm  · 
 · 

Tequila.

Sep 27, 17 1:30 pm  · 
 · 

Why waste it?

Sep 27, 17 2:46 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Because then you can have the Scotch for yourself :)

Sep 27, 17 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
JonathanLivingston

We're all going to get laid!

Sep 27, 17 5:52 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Actually am more of a wodka kind of guy

Sep 28, 17 5:38 am  · 
 · 
randomised

WD40

Sep 27, 17 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Butter.

Sep 28, 17 12:49 am  · 
 · 
randomised

I reserve my butter for shaving

Sep 28, 17 6:09 am  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Look at it upside down or mirror imaged. Seriously; sometimes it shakes something loose. 

Sep 27, 17 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

that was a proven method when I was in school - the other was to switch desks with a classmate in studio, haven't done it in prof work.

Sep 27, 17 4:27 pm  · 
 · 
proto

or use one as the section & the other as the plan

Sep 27, 17 4:27 pm  · 
 · 

If I had a $100 bill every time I saw a professor turn someone's drawing sideways or upside down, I would have graduated debt free. (This should not be taken to mean this technique isn't effective, just that it happened a lot ... which might actually indicate its effectiveness)

Sep 27, 17 5:24 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

At the end of design reviews with clients, before I send them home with drawings, I rotate the floor plan and encourage them to look at it from different angles. More often than not, the gesture generates an audible "ohhhh..." of understanding.

Sep 27, 17 6:17 pm  · 
 · 
thatsthat

Talk over the options with someone, pointing out the pros and cons of each.  See if they have any experience in your shoes and how their project turned out.  Even if they say nothing, sometimes just hearing yourself say it out loud, the apparent winner comes to the fore.

Sep 27, 17 5:10 pm  · 
 · 

Try any of these Oblique Strategies (subtitled Over One Hundred Worthwhile Dilemmas)?

Sep 28, 17 12:46 am  · 
 · 

Too oblique for the OP.

Sep 28, 17 8:53 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: