Archinect
anchor

How to find an old version of AutoCAD (2010 or earlier)?

greenlander1

Looked on Autodesk's website and all they had was the subscription versions and on Amazon no luck either or they had versions for around $1k.  I just want a caveman version for 2D drafting as I was last was using CAD regularly in 2006.

Aug 20, 17 2:28 pm
Wood Guy

What operating system do you use? Autocad 2014 and older won't (or may not) work on Windows 10. 

Aug 20, 17 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
greenlander1

I actually saved a windows 8 computer for this very reason!

Aug 21, 17 10:46 pm  · 
 · 
poop876

I have 2004 on one of my machines with win 10, so yes it does work! Just have to work around a bit. 

Aug 20, 17 4:25 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Do you have the latest updates installed? My Autocad LT 2014 worked fine until the last Windows 10 update. I'm not great with computers so I just went with the subscription model.

Aug 21, 17 12:09 pm  · 
 · 
poop876

Yeah it works fine with the latest updates! Actually when I was upgrading Autocad last year to the newest version and I was on the phone with Autodesk, the IT guys said that there is no way I could run 04 on Win 10. I took a screen shot and sent it to him. He was puzzled!

Aug 21, 17 1:02 pm  · 
 · 
BIMBlaster

Try old "Autodesk Developer Network" resources, they had CDs and there were a few thousand of them so some of it may be floating around Ebay type places or ISO archives.

Aug 20, 17 6:12 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Have you tried second hand / charity shops? I've seen some old Photoshops and CorelDRAWs next to some GTA and Duke Nukem PC games on more than one occasion scouring some local second hand shops, maybe you'll get lucky and they'll have Acad in one close to you?

Aug 21, 17 4:04 am  · 
 · 
archinine
If you cannot locate an old cad license you could always opt for rhino 5. One of the last softwares available for outright purchase I think it's like $600 for an individual license. It does everything CAD does (and a lot more), it has a very similar command line with many of the exact or near exact same commands, and the interface can remain as caveman-like as you wish - you can pare it down even more than CAD. There will be a learning curve in terms of sheet sets and plotting as those features are accessed differently, but they are available. It's more than suffice for solo work. As a bonus if you ever start to feel adventurous and want to do some quick 3D work down the line, you have that option without needing to give autodesk more dollars.
Aug 21, 17 8:13 am  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

Maybe it's for sale on the darkweb? :)

Seriously, Autodesk has put a lot of effort into suppressing the sale of older copies of ACAD as well as not supporting fixes that would make them play well with current Windows versions.

Real innovations and improvements to AutoCad ended quite a while ago, and by making it impossible to "own" the program on a CD-Rom, Autodesk now keeps the money coming in by running a subscription scheme driven by periodic forced upgrades.

Aug 21, 17 10:29 am  · 
1  · 
poop876

I hate that! I just want the CD and use it as much as I want.

Aug 21, 17 1:03 pm  · 
 · 
greenlander1

Thanks all for the ideas.  I ended up ordering autocad 2011 LT for $50. I was scouring through the net for a while til I found it.  Took a while. Seller seemed a bit sketchy but went through Amazon so we'll see!

Aug 21, 17 10:48 pm  · 
 · 
graymttr101

Does anyone know for sure if Autocad 2004 runs on either windows 7 or 10? If so, what are the work arounds? I'm trying to connect a large format printer for a client who has an XP for CAD 2004, and a Windows 7 server. Any suggestions?

Jun 25, 19 12:44 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Just buy a new machine.

Jun 25, 19 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
graymttr101

LOL I would but they are older gentleman who do not want to change.

Jun 25, 19 2:18 pm  · 
 · 
poop876

Yes, it is a fact. I have 2004 on windows 10 on multiple machines, even few month old ones with 10.

Jun 25, 19 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
poop876

To work around it...you have to copy appdata and program files into the correct folders as they are in different locations from xp, 7 and 10. But pretty much what happens is, you install it on 10, then when you click to open, it can't locate files, so you have to copy the files from a machine where it works into appropriate folders and then it works!

Jun 25, 19 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
graymttr101

AWESOME!! Thank you POOP! lol

Jun 25, 19 4:01 pm  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

my I ask... why does AutoCAD need to be updated? Nothing has changed since 2000! The whole subscription base is a big money scam IMHO!

Jun 25, 19 9:09 pm  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

Well, they have changed ACAD by f*cking up the user interface somewhat with the ribbon, etc., but you are correct in the sense that that they have done little to improve the program. Autodesk's subscription pricing is criminal.

Jun 25, 19 9:19 pm  · 
 · 
greenlander1

word

Jun 25, 19 11:36 pm  · 
 · 
poop876

Right! I hate the new interface!

Jun 26, 19 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
greenlander1

Jun 25, 19 11:35 pm  · 
 · 
el_naggar4

I hate the new interface!

Jun 22, 22 5:58 am  · 
 · 
greenlander1

haha I cant imagine how complicated it is now. I remember back in 2004ish they did an upgrade and I was like way too much information...

Jun 22, 22 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
Stasis

My favorite ACAD was 2006.. after that they went through UI change, which I thought it was not as intuitive.. Any newer version came after just ran heavier than it needs to be.. 2006 version was so snappy and opened almost instantly.. 

Jun 25, 22 12:46 am  · 
2  · 
rcz1001

Same here.... the ribbon UI, I don't like as much.

Jun 25, 22 12:54 am  · 
 · 
greenlander1

by some miracle I found an old folder in the garage and came across 2002 on disc!  I actually have to work on something and am overjoyed since I know where everything is and its not so complicated lol.

Feb 27, 24 11:15 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: