Archinect
anchor

Build less? Build smaller? Breed less?

MyWarmedPlanet

I followed up on the topic from a little blip on public radio.  Then of course I found this more depressing/shocking article:

https://theintercept.com/2017/...

I think, on one hand, the maternity wall that is in front of me is already taking my architectural ambitions down by a few notches, which means I am designing less.  That does not mean that I am designing smaller, because I am not the one talking to the client.  There might come a time when that happens, and then do I tell a client that they should not clear-cut a forest to line the whole inside of their house with wood panels?   

Aug 2, 17 1:52 am
senjohnblutarsky

Want to work? You'll do what the client wants and like it.

Unless you have the luxury of turning away clients, you won't have much choice.  You might talk someone down a bit, but you're never going to impose your will on someone unless you have some serious star power. 

Aug 2, 17 8:01 am  · 
 · 
geezertect

The senator is right.  Nobody is really that interested in your social conscience.  If it bothers you that much, you need to find a niche where your values already coincide with the values of your client or employer.  Or do some other profession for your livelihood.

Aug 2, 17 8:16 am  · 
 · 
randomised

So, if a client, let's say, wants you to design a concentration camp with a giant furnace, you'd all gladly do it? 

Aug 2, 17 8:27 am  · 
 · 
cipyboy

someone will do it, we are all governed and valued by capitalist principles. As long as it's legal, the compass directs us on making more revenues. Does not mean that I like doing that but that's just the way it works these days.

Aug 2, 17 8:55 am  · 
 · 
geezertect

C'mon. Are you seriously equating trophy houses with concentration camps????????

Aug 2, 17 9:05 am  · 
 · 
geezertect

My point was that, if you have qualms about doing a particular type of architecture, don't do that type of architecture. Don't expect the client to revise their value system to correspond to yours. You aren't that special.

Aug 2, 17 9:09 am  · 
 · 
cipyboy

Yes true. to add to that- if your values restrict you from designing a lot of spaces, you lose

Aug 2, 17 9:14 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Wow, what a bunch of sell-outs

Aug 2, 17 10:00 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Somehow the rest of my elaborate response disappeared...not going to retype now. Maybe later. Sorry if that came across harsh :|

Aug 2, 17 10:03 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

you have to educate client and persuade them towards work that aligns with what you believe to be good practice.  You cannot dictate your agenda.  Be subtle and persuasive.   As a landscape designer I often persuade clients to adopt more sustainable solutions, xeriscape, native plants, smaller hardscape areas, etc.  Do they care about providing swaths of milkweed for butterflies or about reducing co2 footprints? Of course not, but you can usually sell it to them if you present its selfish qualities (beauty, low maintainence, water savings, cost savings, etc.) 

Aug 2, 17 10:30 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Indeed, they come to for your expertise, you didn't study all those years and spent all that money to just do what you're told by someone who doesn't have a clue but only cash.

Aug 2, 17 1:18 pm  · 
 · 

At some point you have to decide whether you want to be an architect or an advocate. You can try to be both as jla-x describes, and it may work out well for you. But at some point, with the wrong client, you'll probably have to pick whether you sell out on a few of your principles for the money, or walk.

Aug 2, 17 11:30 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

I agree with EA.  There are really only 3 approaches.  One, only take clients that share values and appreciate design.  Two, sellout and do whatever.  Three, persuade clients as much as possible and take joy in the small victories.   Personally, I'm trying to focus on transitioning towards #1 at the time, but it is a financial luxury to turn down work...and those clients are few and far between...

Aug 2, 17 12:10 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

​Great summary. Pick your battles and celebrate the small victories, highlight the victories when appropriate. Not every project is meant to be on the front cover of AD, some serve as learning projects for better ones down the road. We have feature projects for a reason and others are cash cows that serve to let us experiment on the good ones when we have them.

Aug 4, 17 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

​Great summary. Pick your battles and celebrate the small victories, highlight the victories when appropriate. Not every project is meant to be on the front cover of AD, some serve as learning projects for better ones down the road. We have feature projects for a reason and others are cash cows that serve to let us experiment on the good ones when we have them.

Aug 4, 17 2:03 pm  · 
 · 

My old man used to say do you want to eat or do you want to sleep?

If only it was that simple. He spent most of the end of his career trying to do anything other than residential work.

Aug 2, 17 12:13 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: