Archinect
anchor

Why are architects afraid

s=r*(theta)

Why are people in architecture industry afraid of other architects? In my mind, it seems architects are always living in fear of other architects / designers. why is that?

Apr 4, 17 5:44 pm
tduds

Why do you feel that way? I don't know if I'd agree. 

Personally, I've never felt afraid of another architect.

Apr 4, 17 5:53 pm  · 
 · 

I'm afraid of Daniel Libeskind. His buildings can poke your eye out.

Apr 4, 17 5:56 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I bonked my head into one of his angled walls.

Apr 4, 17 6:05 pm  · 
 · 
stourleyk

I tore my jacket on a Paul Rudolph. 

Apr 4, 17 6:00 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

I was asked if I could make a Paul Rudolph house energy efficient. That scared me, because the only way to do so would have ruined the design. Fortunately my clients decided not to buy the house.

Apr 5, 17 10:47 am  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

I typically dont see architects willing to help other architects, or friends as architects, and most times if you bring up a project thats being done down the block by some local architect, others in the office began to rip on how bad or how much better the project could have been or what sucks about that firm or those people.

Apr 4, 17 6:14 pm  · 
 · 

I don't think that's being afraid, I think it's the nature of what we do. We critique everything.

Apr 4, 17 6:18 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I think it's insecurity, not fear.

Apr 4, 17 7:09 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

I also think that varies from firm to firm and city to city. I find the PNW to be an especially congenial design community.

Apr 4, 17 8:18 pm  · 
 · 
Fivescore

Many of my good friends are other local architects. We collaborate, help each other, socialize, share resources, and I don't know what I would do without them.  And then there are other local architects whose work I do not usually like very much, and architects whose ways of operating their firms just do not mesh well with my priorities or values - and I'm sure I've been critical of them.

From what I can tell of other professions, I don't see architects as any better or worse.  My college professor friends hang out with other professors, collaborate with each other, etc. - and they rip on each others' books and teaching styles.  It's the same way among my medical professional friends, legislator friends, etc.  I don't think it's mostly fear-based.  It's competitive nature, passion about one's profession, inevitable clashes between different methods and personalities and points of view... Are there really professions that don't have this?

Apr 4, 17 10:34 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

Because we're assholes, but 100% of the human race is, not a trade treat.

Apr 5, 17 12:11 am  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

100%!!! jeez, in my mind you should get out of the city more

Apr 5, 17 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

haven't lived in a city since 2002, population here is less than 8000, grows to 30k for xmas.

Apr 5, 17 2:49 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor
I get what the OP is saying. It is because architects are, as a whole, a pathetic, repressed group. When they see someone a bit happier or upbeat, they will try their best to push them down or make them miserable. This is pretty endemic to the profession. Can't wait to get out.
Apr 5, 17 1:53 am  · 
 · 

Who the hell are you hanging out with? While there are some that are like this, in my experience most are quite optimistic and fun to be around. But, what do I know? Maybe my experience is the exception.

Apr 5, 17 10:21 am  · 
 · 
archietechie

The difference between other professions and this is, there's no right or wrong in creativity. Thus rendering the architect an opinionated individual, at times pessimistic.

Apr 5, 17 2:47 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Because architects can't deal with criticism but are first in line to critique others.

Apr 5, 17 6:03 am  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

seems like fear imho, afraid you are going to steal there job, clients, or cool points.

Apr 5, 17 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Why are people so nasty https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8Qjy-ydl9QE

Apr 11, 17 6:10 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: