Archinect
anchor

How are your eyes?

senjohnblutarsky

Saw it mentioned in another thread...

How are everyone's eyes since they've been in this industry?  I started at 20:15.  I can't see anything at distance anymore.  

I'm trying to make a habit of getting up and walking around, or at least looking around my desk.  But I think that can only help so much. 

Apr 4, 17 8:17 am

1 Featured Comment

All 13 Comments

archiwutm8

Bad, went blind in one eye at the age of  23.

Apr 4, 17 8:41 am  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

I had some weird eye issues a couple years ago. Nothing wrong with my eyes, but rather my neck and shoulder, which affected my right eye. This all stemmed from how I sit at my desk. An ophthalmologist gave me some good advice, but I also had to do physio for a while, and it's never really gone away, though it has improved.

Apr 4, 17 9:16 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

My eyes were never good to start with... and they've been sliding since mid-high school. I spend a fair amount of time away from the screen on site or marking paper so screen time is often reduced. Monitors are super dim too.

Apr 4, 17 9:42 am  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

I just found an "eye saver" mode on my Samsung monitor.  It seems to have made it more dim and changed the color a bit.  I turned it on this morning and it seems to be a little easier on my eyes.  The Acer monitor beside it doesn't have and option quite like it, but does have a "text" option that seems to have done similar things.  

Apr 4, 17 9:51 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Mine is set to "warm".

Apr 4, 17 10:07 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

Much better since we switched to LED monitors, with the old CRT I had at least 2 episodes a year of bad headaches and blurred vision. Same with fluorescent tubes, it's something with the frequency.

Apr 4, 17 9:52 am  · 
 · 

Nearsighted AF, but sporting some stylish glasses. I do blame AutoCAD for it, because why not blame Autodesk?

(Although considering all my grandparents have/had glasses as well as both parents, it's probably genetic)

Apr 4, 17 10:35 am  · 
 · 
Featured Comment
Wilma Buttfit

Better the less I use the computer. I try to limit it to 20-30 hours a week. When I was on the computer 60-70 hours a week my eyes got worse and worse and I had to get a stronger prescription every year and I thought eventually I would just have to go blind. I have since stabilized. The same can be said about other aspects of my health. 

Apr 4, 17 10:46 am  · 
 · 

Phone, tablet, laptop... all beaming light directly into your eyes. It's not the profession, it's progress.

Apr 4, 17 11:26 am  · 
 · 
zonker

Try Trader Joes's Supervision - 4 caps/day and B12 - also Red Bull

Apr 4, 17 11:49 am  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

Ive noticed in the past 2yrs, about every 3 moths or so I get a 2-3 second blurry sensation if I look from screen to paper books back to screen. but every since i started as a drafter I was taught to look away in the distance as far as I can every 2hrs or so, I try but not always on my mind

Apr 4, 17 3:47 pm  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

I actually developed a muscle spasm below one of my eyes a few years ago.  The eye doctors said it was probably related to blood pressure issues, stress, or things like caffeine.

I have low blood pressure. 

Architecture is stressful.

Caffeine makes mornings in Architecture a little easier.

Guess I'm sticking with the twitching.  It does seem to cause some eye irritation from time to time, though. 

Apr 4, 17 4:53 pm  · 
 · 
uuuuu

I got one of those computer reading glasses from Amazon. My eyes are less strained from staring at my laptop for hours with the glasses.

Apr 4, 17 9:19 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

I find that once the light gets flat in the winter, my eyes tire more easily.  However, i am now over 40.  Comes with the territory i suppose.  Got glasses, they help

Apr 4, 17 10:33 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: