Archinect
anchor

I want to design and build homes...What should I do?

elijahwilliams

Hello,

I am currently an undergrad studying Engineering-Civil Engineering. Although I am in love with Architecture, I want to be able to design and build. One of my Engineering goals is to start my own business designing and building homes. I have taken some business courses but I would like to gain more knowledge in Architecture and Engineering.  I would like to ask a few questions to help me get on my way.

Can Civil Engineers design homes?

Are there any Civil Engineers that designs homes?

Should I minor in Architecture? or Dual-Major?

What else should I know about Architecture?

Thanks!

Elijah

Mar 19, 17 12:32 am
Non Sequitur
Anyone can design anything. It's that pesky permit and construction phases that ruin the layman' day. Read up on your local's building rules. Maybe no arch is required.
Mar 19, 17 12:43 am  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

anyone can design anything, but then again anyone can eat anything also, doesnt mean its a good idea, there are a lot of people in prison & mental institutions with "good ideas" and have "designed" good escape plans, need I say more or do u see my point yet?

Mar 23, 17 10:26 am  · 
 · 
magentasky

It really depends on where you are (geographically).  

http://archinect.com/forum/thread/123121488/can-a-civil-engineer-design-a-house

Mar 19, 17 2:52 am  · 
 · 
gruen
Consider teaming with an architect & having a small integrated practice. And do study some architectural design if you can.
Mar 19, 17 6:54 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Thompson Custom Homes in Houston was started by a Civil Engineer. He may have architects working for him by now. His firm has won a lot of awards.

Mar 19, 17 7:45 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

Depends on the state.  In most states you will actually be able to do more than an architect since an architect is not required for residential but an engineer sometimes is...

Mar 19, 17 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Legal requirments are a very very small part of it though.  Most important thing is your ability to design nice homes and make a profit as a design/developer.  

Mar 19, 17 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

In states where I work, you would be fine as a civil engineer.  The only stamped drawing needed for a house is the foundation plan sealed by a civil engineer.  Anybody can draw the other sheets.

I would suggest a few years work experience with a residential deisgn/build company would be the best training for you.  A lot of the skills you are going to need are not taught in most architecture schools.

Mar 19, 17 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
elijahwilliams

Thanks for this comment! very helpful.

Mar 21, 17 6:43 pm  · 
 · 
elijahwilliams

Thank you all for your help. I really appreciate it!

Mar 21, 17 6:34 pm  · 
 · 
no_form

"Although I am in love with Architecture, I want to be able to design and build."

so architects do not know how to design or build?  what do we know? 

Mar 21, 17 7:09 pm  · 
 · 
elijahwilliams

Nothing was said about what architects do and do not know. You must be an architect yourself, I apologize if you feel offended by what was said.

Mar 21, 17 7:21 pm  · 
 · 
no_form

although loves architecture - wants to be able to design and build. your grammar suggests that architects are good at something, but not how to design and build.  hence your desire to stay with civil engineering.  is this incorrect?  

Mar 21, 17 7:32 pm  · 
 · 
no_form

Mar 21, 17 7:32 pm  · 
 · 
elijahwilliams

Thanks

Mar 21, 17 7:35 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

I read it as, "Although I am in love with Architecture, I want to be able to build as well as design."

Mar 21, 17 8:27 pm  · 
 · 
MyDream

Nice post I have dreams of doing something like this too one day. I study a lot of residential design and am in the process of sketching southwest style homes and few more New American homes. I would love to see how you grow maybe you will be a great home builder one day.

Mar 21, 17 8:17 pm  · 
 · 
Elexanyc

Hi everyone! I am new to the forum, I am an  architect in New York City and I want to build my own small house upstate. I am embarrassed to say that I have little experience in building a house from start to finish, I wonder if anyone could recommend some books to look into. I think it could be a great learning experience. I stumbled upon a series of books "from pros to pros". Are there perhaps any seminars I could attend? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much 

Dec 22, 17 9:11 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

You are an architect?

Dec 22, 17 11:06 pm  · 
 · 
Elexanyc

Yes, but I have experience in skyscrapers. Working for a large firm, I feel like a cog in the wheel, not being able to see the building as a whole.. this is very embarrassing to admit to myself that I don't know how to build a house ground up..

Dec 23, 17 10:28 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

Merry Christmas

Dec 23, 17 10:29 am  · 
 · 
robertclark

I am not an architect, I'm a mechanical designer/drafter.  I am building an energy efficient New England style farmhouse in Massachusetts.  I did a few years of research on my own before designing this house.  It can be done.  I am acting as architect and general contractor, with no prior experience.  Listen and learn from your sub-contractors.  They have many, many years of valuable first hand knowledge and experience.

The 24'x28' 2-story house sits on an ICF basement foundation with 4 inches of foam beneath the basement slab.  The structure is mortise and tenon timber frame with 6 inch SIP walls and 10 inch SIP roof.  Pex tubing radiant floor heating is installed on all levels including basement.  The house is all electric supplied by 8kv grid-tied solar PV.  Total house cost is under $250K.

Mar 28, 18 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

I think you are ideally suited to manage a design / build firm.  Engineers are far superior to architects ( typically) to manage the process and deliver in a manner that would be profitable.  I would encourage you to work with quality professionals though ( architects, landscape architects, interior designers ) so that the quality of work is high.... good design and bad design can cost the same to build except that bad design can cost you a lot more and good design will always rise to the surface and be more highly sought out. Design is an important part of the process but only a part the rest is having the ability to execute it in the field effectively to make money at it.

Oct 3, 18 3:26 pm  · 
 · 
apscoradiales

Short answers;

- go to school to become an architect

- get licensed

- work for others to gain experience and get to know clients

- open your own practice

- go for it

Jul 25, 20 10:36 am  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

Short Answer... design and build homes

Oct 13, 20 9:25 pm  · 
 · 
ziazia

Apart from the technical side of things. If you are designing custom homes learn a lot of social skills to deal with your clients!!

Oct 24, 20 11:28 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

WUT.

Oct 29, 20 2:00 am  · 
1  · 
monosierra

Goddamned bots everywhere these days

Oct 30, 20 8:38 am  · 
 · 
apscoradiales

"Almosthip

Architects don't design single family homes...."

You are on the wrong forum apparently.

Nov 2, 20 9:01 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

we're not, but perhaps you are? Anyways, this is a spam necro thread.

Nov 2, 20 9:11 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: