Archinect
anchor

Use of the i word

ennisdavis

Do any of you know if you can use the title "intern architect" legally in florida. My boss says no but he is a di... I looked in the state statute and could not find anything.

Feb 15, 17 7:15 pm

First of all, what does your boss want to call you instead?

Secondly, is there some reason you want the title when NCARB has been telling people not to use it?

Finally, if you really want to chase it down, there is some old information here (I've also heard that it isn't accurate for all jurisdictions, even when it was current), but it says you're ok to call yourself an intern architect in FL. Call the licensing board and ask if you can't figure it out by reading. 

Feb 15, 17 7:31 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Likely your boss does not want clients or contractors incorrectly assuming you're an architect... Perhaps because you're too green?

Intern Architect is the official "title" as per my professional association yet some try to sneak other variants. Sorry chump. Wrote those exams then call yourself whatever you want. Before that, it's intern.
Feb 16, 17 7:56 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
*write
Feb 16, 17 7:57 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]
Check. Your. State. Board.
Feb 16, 17 11:04 am  · 
 · 
tduds

My last company used "Junior / Senior Designer" for nonregistered architects. Job Captain is a nice term also for people with some clout but no license.

AFAIK there aren't *legal* restrictions on titles other than "Architect"

Feb 16, 17 11:46 am  · 
 · 
Bloopox

Per Florida's current statutes, "Intern Architect" is not permitted, because it contains the word "architect":

"A person may not knowingly use the name or title “architect” or “registered architect,” or “interior designer” or “registered interior designer,” or words to that effect, when the person is not then the holder of a valid license issued pursuant to this part."

Some states' statutes contain an exception for the titles "Intern Architect" or for "Architect in Training".  Florida is not currently one of those states, so your boss is correct that you cannot use that term.

I agree with Everyday Intern that "intern" probably isn't a term you want to aspire to anyway.  "Intern" isn't used anymore by NCARB.  By the Department of Labor's definition an intern is someone whose work is undertaken for benefit of his own education and does not provide benefit to the employer.  Intern is also understood by much of the general public to mean someone who hasn't graduated yet. 

Feb 16, 17 12:40 pm  · 
 · 

Good job proving the NCARB infographic I had linked to as incorrect.

Feb 16, 17 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

It's just that that's an outdated graphic, and was oversimplifying things in the first place (for instance some of the states that do allow "intern architect" only allow it for those with NAAB degrees who are currently actively employed in an IDP/APX setting and have up-to-date NCARB dues.)

NCARB used to have an accompanying question in their comparison list, about acceptable terms for interns, but they removed it several years ago - I believe they decided in one of the annual meetings within the past few years that they will no longer advise on titles and will leave that to the states.

Feb 16, 17 3:17 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: