Archinect
anchor

Residential Spaces for Old Aged People

saizufmafan

Hi.

I'd like to know about how should I make a space ideal in a residential design for an old aged couple. I would like to know about the relationship between spaces in it and also what would make the space convenient to the old people in terms of movement, the activities carried out, etc. This is for a project which we're doing in college, and I feel that I could make use of information provided here.

Thanks!

Jan 27, 17 1:19 pm
tduds

As few stairs as possible.

My parents live in a townhouse with the master suite on the main level and the spare bedrooms upstairs. They think it's the greatest idea in the world.

Jan 27, 17 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

how about you take a field trip to a retirement home or 2 or 3; document what you see and interview "old aged people"? its part of the architectural design programing process and will be part of your career beyond academic career and If you are going to be an architect I would consider you start on the correct foot (no pun intended) putting in the work.

Jan 27, 17 2:50 pm  · 
 · 
Who knows, maybe some of us on here have done quite a few senior housing projects...
Jan 27, 17 3:25 pm  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

^ agreed Josh, but in my mind the answers to his/her questions lies with the experts who would be the "Old aged people" occupying them. and again he/her would be getting a better education than turning to archinect and kicking back

Jan 27, 17 4:53 pm  · 
 · 
chris-chitect

I think it would be interesting to find Japanese Precedents since they have a rapidly aging population. One example I heard of, contrary to ideas of no stairs, was a retirement home full of elevation changes that kept seniors more active and nimble. Not saying it was a good idea, but I'd be curious to see how that worked out.

Jan 27, 17 5:25 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

^ In the US, ramps in nursing homes increase insurance costs. A private residence would probably not have that situation though.

Jan 27, 17 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
We're starting to play with designing active stairs in senior housing. Little more on the bottom line to make them nice, and not a lot of clients going for it yet.

Did get an accidental one in the project I punchlisted today.

And now my flight home is delayed.
Jan 27, 17 7:08 pm  · 
 · 
chris-chitect

tintt, are you talking about health insurance costs? Like a health insurer charging more when they know you live around ramps? Or is this for the nursing home's liability?

Jan 27, 17 7:38 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Nursing home liability insurance.

Jan 27, 17 7:52 pm  · 
 · 
chris-chitect

Ah, ok...I know those health insurance companies in the US can be brutal so I wouldn't have been too surprised. 

Oddly enough, when you turn to google... http://www.businessinsider.com/japan-senior-crime-rate-turning-prisons-into-nursing-homes-2017-1

Jan 27, 17 8:16 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

A flip-side of tduds' parents situation:  my 80+ yo folks live in a split-level  whose stairs give my mom a good workout every day, just going around the house.  I'm convinced that her (relatively) good shape at this age is due in large part to those steps.

Now, in an instant, those stairs can go from built-in exercise equipment to impassable obstacle, it's true.  So... one more complicated issue.

Jan 27, 17 8:18 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Just throw yourself off a small flight of stairs and try limping around your surroundings for a week or so to get a feel for it, you'll know what to do.

Jan 29, 17 2:33 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: