Archinect
anchor

American Intern Architect looking for work for German firms

iandidentify

Hi guys,

I am a M. Arch I holder working for an American firm in Germany. During University I completed an exchange year in Germany, and my love for the culture and the language brought me back. I am fluent in German and am working in an all-German team where we are currently in Leistungsphase 05 on a large project. I am working towards licensure in the US, and am wondering about my future in the profession. 

I really enjoy language learning, and would love to acquire more languages and become a more internationally-focused architect working on projects around the world. In my free time I am learning other languages

My current job requires me to be in Germany for 6 months out of the year, and back to the US for 6 months, and I really am appreciating the experience, but the pay isn't great. I had a few other opportunities to work for corporate firms who would have paid $10,000 more a year in starting salary in cities where the cost of living was a lot lower than where I am living now. 

I'm wondering if any of you have had similar experiences, or how those of who who have internationally-focused career aspirations have used them to your advantage to leverage useful positions for architecture firms? 

In short: How do I use my love of languages and cultures to help me be a more thoughtful and useful architect and to increase my relevance for the architecture profession?

Dec 11, 16 5:45 pm
shellarchitect

Can't answer the question directly, but I've been told that it costs a firm a ton of money to fill an open position. Would be worth asking for a salary review if you like the job otherwise.

Dec 14, 16 9:30 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
There are Anglophile firms in Germany-operated by Americans or Brits. They might be interested in someone w your skills.
Dec 16, 16 7:47 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: