Archinect
anchor

Construction Industry to Architecture/Design Industry

edjkim15

Hi all,

I recently just graduated with a B.Arch and started my professional career in the construction industry as an assistant project manager. My duties involve being on site and coordinating meetings with the owners, architect and engineers, while also keeping report of the progress.

Though I have always been into the ways in which the construction industry operates (which is why I started in the this industry), I still have intentions to start my architectural career and get my license soon after, and whatever happens next is fair game. 

My only concern with this kind of transition is whether it is worth it or not. I hear mixed opinions of experiences while working in the architecture industry, but I still enjoy partaking in the design process, which I know will involve more than what I did in school.

These are my thoughts at the moment; as this conversation goes on I will post other questions that I have in mind. I appreciate any kind of feedback regarding this matter.

Jul 8, 16 9:39 am
thisisnotmyname

Figure out a way to finish IDP and do the ARE while remaining in construction.  The most successful architects I know are either working in design/build or have strong relationships with construction companies.

Unless you are going to move to an absolutely stellar architecture firm, I can't help but think that leaving construction is a mistake.  

Jul 8, 16 9:55 am  · 
 · 
edjkim15

I did my research with the IDP (now aka AXP) and saw that I can get 320 hours in for working at a general contractor. It is not a lot but better than nothing. It also says that I need 1860 hours in an architecture firm, which means that I will have to go into an architecture firm sooner or later.

I guess what I still want is to be drawing things and 3d modeling instead of just delegating and managing. I just wonder if once I have attained a short amount of experience (1 year or so) I should transition into architecture or just stick to the construction management industry. But like I said before whatever happens in the near future is fair game.

The struggles.

Jul 8, 16 11:19 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: