Archinect
anchor

Interesting in studying architecture. Local inspiration.

benjaminrose1991

Hi! First thread so bear with me.

I live in Canberra, Australia and I'm interested in studying architecture in the future.

I've always been interested in architecture and loved some of the quirky and impressively designed buildings here in Canberra. The work of John Andrews (CN Tower, Scarborough College, Gund Hall, Intelsat Headquaters) is all over the place here in Canberra. The buildings seem to be very pedestrian and occupant focused to an insane degree with some neat energy saving tricks to make his designs 'green' especially by the standards of the 1970s and '80s.

Callam Offices are unique for it's flood-aware structural design, function separated zones, and it's pedestrian movement model that allowed private movement between office pods while allowing public movement through the offices without entering them.

Cameron Offices is a brutalist-structuralist design originally spanning three hectares of land before being partially demolished for apartments. Originally having nine office wings with a raised pedestrian mall that linked the office wings with surrounding public transport, the original planned site for a shopping mall, and nearby housing. The primary office spaces are suspended from exposed external trusses creating huge amounts of column free floor space.

Safe to say that I'm inspired by John Andrews' work and after a fair bit of research on his design methods and knowing how I solve problems myself that I'd design buildings along very similar lines.

What do other people think of work of John Andrews? Should brutalist and 'space-age' structuralism stay in the past?

BTW - I'm a photographer too. Photos by yours truly.

Jun 26, 16 11:03 am

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: