Archinect
anchor

Untappd Peoples

Non Sequitur

Olaf, since I toasted your blueberry brew a 2 days ago, the app is now suggesting similar brews in my area. I may have to go on the hunt for some fruity beers with this 35C week I'm having.

Jun 20, 16 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

Has anyone else tried the Sierra Nevada Summer Camp beers?  I've tasted three of them so far.  Not impressed... at all. 

Jun 21, 16 7:50 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

senator, are they skunky? Sierra Nevada has skunky beer problems in my experience, I don't buy them anymore. 

Jun 21, 16 8:21 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Fruity and sweet beers are just wrong. Had a sweet Mexican beer awhile ago, absolutely horrible.

Jun 21, 16 8:44 am  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

Not skunky.  Just nastiness.  Gym sock/gym shorts was used to describe a couple of them. 

Jun 21, 16 8:45 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

funny story... was in South America when i was like 20... my beer tastes at the time were quite varied, running from Mickey's to Steel Reserve. I saw a "Malt Beer" for sale and bought a liter bottle.

It was so terrible. Like a malted milkshake but with beer. Far too sweet to drink with undertones of diarrhea the day after you eat like 2 pounds of gummi bears.

Jun 21, 16 10:18 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Diarrehea gummy bears?

How does this fine crowd feel about Barley wine?

Jun 21, 16 11:32 am  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

I want to like the style.  So much promise.  I just haven't found one I liked. 

Jun 21, 16 11:38 am  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

A fun read for anyone interested in specific qualities of styles:

http://www.bjcp.org/docs/2015_Guidelines_Beer.pdf

Jun 21, 16 11:39 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Abita makes a good barleywine. 

Jun 21, 16 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

bump. don't forget to cool off this summer.  

Jun 22, 16 1:15 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

senjohnblutarsky - you involved in bjcp?  I'm a judge.  The guidelines are great - but definitely not comprehensive, nor can they keep up with all of the inventive stuff going in in craft beer today - but they are super helpful for standard base style understanding and benchmarks.

american barley wine rules - bigfoot, old guardian and the like.

Jun 22, 16 2:49 pm  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

Nope, no association.  I've just been trying to get some of my brews in line with their guidelines.  

I have a brown porter I've been trying to perfect, but went way too heavy on coffee flavors.  Looks like they shuffled things around on the newer style guidelines.  Took me a while to even locate a brown porter-appropriate category. 

As a beer drinker, I just think the guidelines are very helpful.  Says what I should be looking for, and lets me know how people have modified things. 

Jun 22, 16 3:10 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Plenty of Quebec breweries make excellent barley wine (vin d'orge) but the only time I drink it is at winter beer festivals. I can't find any decent ones in stores.

Beer style judging? Now that's something to put on your business card.
Jun 22, 16 3:39 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

nice.  The best thing you can do to get better at brewing is to enter competitions or take a sensory course on beer, take the bjcp tasting exam - helped me identify all sorts of subtle issues with my beers.  Brown porter is a great brew - I went through a handful of versions a couple of years ago - trying to get close to Fullers London porter, the one I liked the most was closer to Sierra Nevada Porter - won a couple competitions with it also for the category.

Brewing rules.

Jun 22, 16 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

to keep working, to make an 8 hour day a 16 day before my 9 year wedding anniversary (today at 1:33 AM) i drank a 6 pack of Amber Ale by Fat Tire.  Writing proposals and reports and filling out forms on a 6 pack....

Do I have a problem?

Yes, I have problems, they be called clients.

Jun 24, 16 1:34 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

Congrats on your anniversary

What beer do you recommend for brexit?

Jun 24, 16 7:20 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

hmmm...good one curt. lets think about it. Samuel Smiths Oatmeal stout? or Skull Splitter! lest go Skull Splitter, available at my local irish pub.

Jun 24, 16 8:11 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Anything cheap and bitter will do nicely.

Jun 24, 16 8:25 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

congrats on the anniversary Olaf.

Jun 24, 16 9:51 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Happy anniversary, Olaf!

Jun 24, 16 6:40 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

thank you peeps. i still managed to go get flowers at 630am at grocery this morning after that 6 of amber ale by fat tire and working til 2am. so what is a good drink tonight?

Jun 24, 16 7:01 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Does your wife like beer? Find one that has been brewed with flowers. There is a local one brewed with roses that is amazing but I'm sure they don't distribute. There are others, you should be able to find one. Rose and hibiscus both I think it was. 

Jun 24, 16 7:15 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

thats sounds cool, let me see if i can find something.

Jun 24, 16 7:30 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
I really like hibiscus brews.
Jun 24, 16 7:42 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

i've heard of dandelion wine.  i will now have to test dandelion beer when that time comes around again.

grocery flowers?  will there be a #10?

Jun 24, 16 8:14 pm  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

I can set you up with some dandelion wine recipes.  I have a few for a book I am working on.  Can't help with a dandelion beer recipe. 

Jun 27, 16 7:57 am  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

Popped open three of our homebrews the other day.  Two were same batch with different yeasts.  Both were pretty decent.  Third one... big booger came out of the bottle during the pour.  I'm hoping the bottle was the source of the infection.  Don't really want to have to toss a whole batch. 

Jun 29, 16 7:56 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
So, I can't help but notice 2 of you guys tried out the delicious Fin du Monde brew this weekend. I just had to go out and buy all 6 of their brews for the week ahead.. Or this evening.

Props to Olaf and Tintt for the inspiration.
Jul 3, 16 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Correction, I don't think it was Tintt. Whose untappd handle is playitfaster?
Jul 3, 16 2:11 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

thats archanonyous i think. chi town.......had another Unique brew.....go Iceland! i proposed to my wife up on a mountain near Akureyri, so I am partial. also, as an American I must disdain all things French but love them like a little brother at the same time.

Jul 3, 16 3:05 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

fuck iceland is getting killed.  i hate the fact that Leinenkughel only sells their watermelon shandy in the variety pack.

Jul 3, 16 3:52 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Playitfaster is me. Fin de monde has always been a favorite.

Jul 3, 16 8:37 pm  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

Was without a decent phone signal for a few days over the weekend.  So all those morning check ins from Sunday... Yeah, I'm not hitting the sauce that early. 

Jul 5, 16 8:05 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Most of my check-ins over the weekend where tastings. Yikes, I see I can't spell this morning though. Ug. 

Jul 5, 16 10:22 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

All my morning check ins? Mostly because I'm actually drinking in the morning.

This weekend was mostly unnecessarily strong beers under hot sun - not necessarily the best combination.

Jul 5, 16 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

I'm not good about switching over to summer beers.  I know I should, but I also know what I like.  I'll just 'suffer' through my stouts and porters. 

Jul 6, 16 7:45 am  · 
 · 
Jamb'd

Revolution Citra Hero one of my new favorites.

Jul 7, 16 3:41 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Just came back from a lunch time sampling... Pimped up my stats too.

Jul 7, 16 4:57 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

A couple of friends started a micro brewery a few months ago, tonight's their soft opening (little 30-person party) and I'm so pumped to go. It's a good day.

Jul 7, 16 7:48 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Alright, going out for drinks with coworkers in 10 minutes and I'm going to start using Untappd again.

I used to be such a beer geek, I gotta get my cred back.

Jul 7, 16 8:01 pm  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

And did you get your cred back over the weekend?

And somehow, this totally-relevant-to-architecture thread fell off the first page. 

Jul 11, 16 7:59 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Oie, a well deserved bump indeed.

T'is was a quiet untappd weekend for me although I did get to hit up the latest craft beer joint in my city last week for some sweet sweet sampling. I still have a bar fridge filled with Unibroue's elixirs that need ratting.

Jul 11, 16 8:27 am  · 
 · 
tduds

I checked in two excellent pale ales on Thursday and promptly forgot to do anything else.

Whoops.

Jul 11, 16 3:32 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

bottom of page 2?

Unacceptable, this thread is too good to fall behind.

It was pushing 40 degrees yesterday (that's 104F for you metrically challenged folks) so I thought I'd try a new wheat fruit beer. Big mistake, it was terrible... almost like 6 day old bottle of white wine left open under your studio desk type of taste... with just enough raspberry flavour to be annoying.

0.5 out 5 stars. Not worthy of a artful picture.

Jul 14, 16 8:42 am  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

I haven't gotten to try anything this week.  I've been to busy... (too busy for beer. crazy.  Right?)

I'm making a beer stop this evening.  A six pack of Ruby Redbird is calling my name.  If it's going to be as hot as predicted, that will be a nice chillout beer. 

Jul 14, 16 9:18 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Is that a grapefruit beer?

Jul 14, 16 9:37 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

haven't posted much here, all the beer i drink is either pretty local or available nationwide.  Just have to say that I planted some citra and williamette hops, should be in my 2017 homebrews

Jul 14, 16 9:42 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^do you have an Untappd profile?

Jul 14, 16 9:49 am  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

Yeah, it's a grapefruit beer.  I tend to be a stout/porter/schwarzbier guy.  But I just like that stuff.  Probably akin to my love of sour beers.  We all have that random variety that doesn't match the rest. 

Jul 14, 16 9:49 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: