Archinect
anchor

how do you like me now

st.

which is a better time to try to find a job:

just before taking the ARE

or

right after getting licensed

i'm looking to move on and have finished IDP but haven't begun the ARE. would i be more desirable if i were licensed?

as a side: i have rushed through IDP so i only have a little over 3 years professional experience.

Feb 22, 05 5:24 pm
Archi-F

I think you're definately better off if you have your license -

But how happy are you with the firm you're at now and how long is it going to take you to take the AREs?

I've had a friend do it in as little as 6 monthes - and I know some people that have taken over five years (which will be no longer with the rolling time clock starting next year).

If you're really looking to move NOW - than go for it - but if you can handle another year at your firm - than stay there.

Feb 22, 05 6:04 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

I have heard someone (was it here on archinect?) say that they took time between jobs and whipped all the AREs at once - in about 8 weeks. I have thought about doing this. If you can support yourself cash-wise and get health insurance coverage it sounds like a good idea. Myself, I can go without the cash income cause I know how to save, but where the hell am I going to get affordable health insurance?

Feb 22, 05 6:26 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

good question, i was thinking about the same thing the other day, even though i am not nearly through IDP.

i think in my own head it made sense to look for something after getting the stamp. you're just more marketable.

i've heard of people taking time off to take the ARE's too.

Feb 22, 05 6:37 pm  · 
 · 
3ifs

here's my take on it.

stay at your current job and whip through the ARE as fast as you can. figure you can slack a bit at work, knowing you are leaving when you finish the ARE.

also, you need have a contingency plan in case you fail a section. they aren't very hard, but it would suck to be out of work while taking the tests and have to wait six months to re-take the failed section.

if you have less experience, you will probably have to study a little harder than someone with a few more years under their belt.

another point, and this is only my opinion... i feel that the best guage of an applicant's value to a firm is still experience, regardless of registration. being an RA certainly will not hurt you, and it will give you a distinct advantage over someone with similar experience and no registration. the fact is, a firm will not use your stamp due to insurance anyway. that being said, i do in fact think that registration is very important to your marketable skills, and it shows employers that you are ready to take your carreer to the next level.

don't take time off for the AREs, they are too easy for that. you should be able to take one a week if you study hard... a test every other week is a very reasonable pace. i did a test every other week for my final 'push' of five exams. it felt great to get through them quickly, and when three of the pass letters came at once i was very happy. the goofballs at NCARB wound up sending me my registration application before i received the final pass letter...

Feb 23, 05 9:23 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: