Archinect
anchor

SOM

arclem

I have been presented with a possible opportunity in Chicago office.
Are the horror stories true? I live in a nice southern city and work for a firm that does average local work but I really want to get back to the issues that interested me so much in school. Is SOM that type of place?

Feb 21, 05 3:03 pm
kylemiller

they were

Feb 21, 05 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
Archi-F

heard the same about the SF offices

Feb 21, 05 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
plastic

i used to work in the chicago office but was laid off in the months following 9/11 as part of the "economic downturn". they were just as quick to let go as they were to hire...i was in a new hire class of 10, and was one of the last group of new hires that spanned a couple of months with newbies every week or so. if i remember correctly, it was our group that put the chicago office over 400, when i was laid off 14 months later, the firm was hovering between 250-300

do you know what studio you'd be in? that i think is one key to happiness there and either foster or stifle experimentation...also would you be technical or design? they tried to really play down the separation of the two and from what i recall (heard) it wasn't nearly as segregated as the ny office, but the separation was there and quite evident.

unless you'd be coming in and given your own studio or a position as a senior designer (assuming you've been out of school for a while from your "getting back to issues" comment) good luck with the getting back to those issues in an office environment. there are (were) a great number of talented people there during my stint that were all for getting together for competitions and experimentation beyond the office.

if you're looking for a change of scenery, i can't recommend chicago enough...it was a great place to live and work and i often wish we were still there. i can only say that if your only reason to move from your nice southern city and a firm doing average local work is to take this opportunity in a nice northen city with a firm doing average global work, it isn't worth it.

if you want any more detailed info on the firm or city...feel free to pm me, and i'd be happy to help you out.

Feb 21, 05 3:47 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Still though - you know what your getting into. Dont expect to be calling any shots. But do try it out. Just being there at the begining of your career is worth it and looks good on any resume. Seeing how a big office works is essential to understanding the process - its just like a small project but in my opinion cleaner, because the clients have deep pockets and you'll have top notch consultants to learn from.
Plus there is no sweeter place on earth than Chicago in the summer. There is also no more disgusting place than Chicago in January. Walking into the Sante Fe building in May will be an awesome experiance.

Feb 21, 05 5:41 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: