Archinect
anchor

Presidents' Day...

How many of you are working today also? I know that some of my friends from school have today off, but those offices are out towards Boston more. Do most offices give today as a day off? Waking up to snow made me want to stay home and sleep longer, and I seriously thought about just saying that I thought we were closed today and not going in.

Feb 21, 05 8:32 am
3ifs

i am at work and i am too damn tired to be here. i wish i was at home on the couch.

Feb 21, 05 9:05 am  · 
 · 
FRO

I'm @ work but might be leaving to snowboard by 9 or 10. 30" since Friday!

Feb 21, 05 9:48 am  · 
 · 
J3

The entire city (DC) is shut down, but we are working! yay Architecture!

Feb 21, 05 9:52 am  · 
 · 
e

i'm not working today but only becasue my wife isn't. i work for myself and 3-4 days before every holiday she says to me, "are you working on monday?" monday? what's monday? it's a holiday. oh.

i never know when they happen, and they always creep up on me. if i actually got paid for them, i'd probably remember them.

Feb 21, 05 11:19 am  · 
 · 
Archi-F

working, working, working, working

Feb 21, 05 12:04 pm  · 
 · 
lush

holiday!!! I am not working...I cant believe my office has today off!!! YAYYY

Feb 21, 05 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

our office has the day off, but i am working.

Feb 21, 05 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
threshold

Working...

Feb 21, 05 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
Jr.

working....

Feb 21, 05 3:15 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

working. how can your offices afford to give so many holidays? I work x-mas eve, Friday after thanksgiving and have even worked on memorial day and the fourth of july. lately I have been wondering about our policies - when they gave me a whole 4 hours leave when my grandpa died to go to the funeral. then I was supposed to hussle right back...
is there a certain pride in working all the time that I lack? i read a statistic a few weeks ago about 26% of americans don't take their vacation time at work. so they just donate it back to their employer. does this give a sense of pride?

Feb 21, 05 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
FRO

Strawbeary- I feel fairly confident saying that nobody has used their dying breath to say "I should have spent more time at the office." It sounds like the people you work for are a little over driven. I never get paid for holidays of any kind, but I am free to keep almost any hours I like as long as the work gets done. I'm not in a normal place, though.

Feb 21, 05 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
Manteno_Montenegro

I am working today, and I just heard that woman on All Things Considered say the word diarrhea.

Feb 21, 05 5:48 pm  · 
 · 
lking

strawbeary, i think that's an insane schedule....and it really has to effect your health and mental sanity. last year i was working for an art conservation center and i only got paid the hours i worked. therefore, if i wanted to be with my family on x-mas, then i had to expect the deduction in my pay check (which was already meager). after a year of working there i was going insane. right now, as i'm awaiting to hear from m.arch grad programs, i'm working for a non-profit. the office is closed for every federal holiday (we get paid) plus 4-weeks paid vacation. it's wonderful. after experiencing the 2 extremes, i can't imagine going back to the old ways. and i think the figure is closer to 40% of americans don't use up their vacations. i am not one of those.

Feb 21, 05 5:50 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

lking - you have a job with 4 weeks paid vacation? that sounds great. where do I apply?

if you work here at this office for 20 years you eventually get 3 weeks vacation. I'm a long long ways from that. I won't stick it out that long. Yes, even the principals take less than two weeks vacation a year, setting a fine example. There is one guy - a drafting tech, who has been here long enough to take the 3 weeks vacation and he doesn't take it all! not more than a couple of days! drives me nuts!

Feb 21, 05 6:12 pm  · 
 · 
e

that's sad strawbeary.

Feb 21, 05 7:31 pm  · 
 · 
A

Ouch, I've got 3 weeks since my first day out of school, although I've never got presidents day off and always had to work the day after thanksgiving and x-mas eve day.

Right now I'm stuck with the dillemma that I don't have enough vacation time. For once I'm not worrying so much about $$$. If it's not one thing it's the other in this profession.

Feb 21, 05 9:38 pm  · 
 · 
joed

i'm at school today... columbia's like the only school that makes its students show up on federal holidays. on the bright side, there was a really cool lecture with office dA and ARO.

Feb 21, 05 9:53 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i worked but what i really wanted to do was reflect on our greatest president rutherford b. hayes.

Feb 21, 05 10:47 pm  · 
 · 
LightMyFire66

I worked, but now notice everyone's got different vacation / holiday schedules. I used to get 4 weeks paid vacation every year for quite a few years... but left that job to take a more risky job where pretty much have to work every day, minus Christmas, Thanksgiving and most weekends. I still end up working a lot of Saturdays, sometimes Sundays depending upon workload... I'm asking the company to NOT pay me for the 2 week vacation I'll be taking soon, since the company is still trying to get out of some past debt... I've made sacrifices and extra hours only straight time, no time-and-a-half... but I get quite a lot more respect and can pretty much do what I want, come in mid-morning, work late or not, whatever works for me. So it's not that bad. For most situations though, I would never accept a place that didn't have at least 2 weeks paid vacation + normal holidays.

Feb 24, 05 5:24 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: