Archinect
anchor

Elevator design

infernocp

I know that you can have an elevator with two doors (rear or side entry) but could you have an elevator that had 3 openings: one in the front, and one on each side? I have a building for my studio class in which the elevator butts up against the outside wall on the first floor, and on the other side to a kitchen underground. I would like to bring in food deliveries to one side door on the first floor, and have them be able to get them directly to the kitchen on the basement level, without having to walk out into the main lobby and go around to the kitchen.

Feb 20, 05 8:03 pm
Ms Beary

will a dumbwaiter work? it's an elevator just for the food.

Feb 20, 05 10:23 pm  · 
 · 
Suture

if you are massaging the specifics of elevator design for your STUDIO project then you better already have a kick arse design. Surely your presentation to the jury will not include the dramatics of your elevator design. There are many more important things to spend your life on.

Will you be having muzak in your elevator?

Feb 21, 05 12:29 am  · 
 · 
infernocp

I will make an elevator large enough for a mariachi band. I don't think "live elevator music" has ever been done before.

I did think about a dumbwaiter, but the way its set up, it just won't work. I have to have the elvator to service the customers anyway. I think my design in strong enough that the elevator won't matter, but I like to make sure everything is actually possible.

Feb 21, 05 1:00 am  · 
 · 
too degrading

add a second elevator. Or call the nice folks at Schindler or Otis and tell 'em you're Frank Gehry or David Childs or something... anything's possible! This is America God Dammit!

Feb 21, 05 2:45 am  · 
 · 
too degrading

Maybe the cab could rotate... and the door open on different sides as it goes up... the rotating shaft kind of thing.

Imagine telling your reviewers that your elevator acts like a big screw! That might be worth it just for that.

Feb 21, 05 2:48 am  · 
 · 
Suture

that whole band is on the wrong end of the shaft (pun intended) and are getting screwed over by weird doors.

Feb 21, 05 9:49 pm  · 
 · 
joed

the chefs could serve food to the visitors and provide refreshments for the band. what an elevator!

Feb 21, 05 9:56 pm  · 
 · 
Archi-F

can you do a lift - independent of doors??? Just a thought

Feb 21, 05 10:07 pm  · 
 · 
Suture

how bout a time/ space/ matter teleporter!

beam me up scotty!

Feb 21, 05 10:22 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

yes- a lift like Archi-F says. The doors are on the stories not the cab which is a platform. there was an elevator in a hotel in switzerland like that. it was tempting to touch the walls and floors as you went up through the building. it was safe, and big enough for two people and that was it.
amazing how much ubersafety in the states costs - it changes whole building dynamics and adds S.F.
Hmmm, so does ADA.

Feb 21, 05 10:50 pm  · 
 · 
Mum

Rather than insert a Wonka-vator into your project you should try to make a standard elevator (doors only on opposing sides) work with your project and impress your studio professor with your design skills as they would be tested in the real world.

Feb 22, 05 12:31 pm  · 
 · 
Suture

it will cost you some 200,000$ to do crazy doors. Your hypothetical client would not like that. SOLVE the problem through DESIGN!

Feb 22, 05 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
Archi-F

or celebrate the fact that you're still in school and are not constrained by the realities of budget (as of yet) and go for whatever is possible...

But yes - you can probably solve it through design on a budget...

Feb 22, 05 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
Sullivan.DJ

i used to do this sort of stuff in school, but as a rule of thumb - good design shouldn't require a 3 door elevator. maybe stop thinking of a typical elevator and go by the other suggestions.

Feb 22, 05 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
aemkei

I can't remember where, but I remember seing a cylindrical elevator somewhere on the internet, that rotated sligthly so that it would end up in front of the doors, that were fixed on each floor but not directly below/above one another. I don't know if this elevator exists or if it was just a case study by some engineering company, but it did eliminate the problem with the don't-touch walls...

Feb 22, 05 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
Suture

Jury: Very well, great job on the vertical circulation....and can you tell us a little about the materiality of your facade? your concept? financing scheme? Iterant technologies you are using? ....

Feb 22, 05 2:09 pm  · 
 · 
Manteno_Montenegro

A well trafficked elevator in a big city needs some hidden cameras in the floor tiles.

Feb 22, 05 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
Archi-F

what advantage does that bring? Other than a view up from below - Girls - be weary of wearing skirts. Guys - I'm sure there's some girl's you don't want to see in skirts. - or a guy in a kilt for that matter.

Feb 22, 05 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
stainB

seriously, if your elevator vertical span is no more than 30m, you can probably squeeze a lift that runs on hydraulic. The piston is located at the bottom of elevator, and you can free up any vertical support (door mechanism/roof/M&E) on the edge of the lift

http://science.howstuffworks.com/elevator1.htm

advantage: minimum structure. good for scenic (all glass) lift
disvantage: slow, inefficient

Feb 22, 05 4:38 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: