Archinect
anchor

Sf Costs by Quality of Workmanship

BulgarBlogger

Can someone tell me for NYC what a good estimate is for a average cost per square foot for different types of workmanship for different sectors? Example:

Residential (apartments)

Basic

Good

Expensive

Residential

Basic

Good

Expensive

Commercial - Corporate

You get the idea...

Thanks!!

Feb 16, 16 6:00 pm
BulgarBlogger

2nd one should be - residential (townhouses)

Feb 16, 16 6:01 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

new construction or remodel?

Feb 16, 16 6:04 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

Lets do remodel; writing a business plan...

Feb 16, 16 6:15 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

I guess my question is not so much about just the workmanship, but about the construction cost expressed in dollars per square foot.

Feb 16, 16 6:18 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

assuming that when you say apartment you mean condo.

I don't think there is a difference between condo remodel and home in NY besides access.

Basic - $400-800/ft

Good - $800-1200/ft

Expensive - $1200 - sky is the limit

Feb 16, 16 6:22 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

Chigurh... Why do I have a wierd feeling that these numbers are a bit high? My firm just did an entire townhouse gut renovation (good budget, not basic or expensive) for about $2.5 mil.  Just wondering... What would the equivalent be for commercial projects? 

Feb 16, 16 7:45 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

http://www.dcd.com/guides.html

I have found to be pretty accurate.

CSI also publishes data... you should get it for free if you use MasterSpec.

Feb 16, 16 7:59 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

if you have data run your own numbers 

Feb 16, 16 8:33 pm  · 
 · 

CSI publishes data? Where?

Isn't RSMeans the 'gold standard' when it comes to cost data?

Aside from publishing standards which MasterSpec follows (MasterFormat, SectionFormat, etc.), CSI has nothing to do with MasterSpec. AIA publishes MasterSpec through Arcom.

"MasterSpec®, a product of the American Institute of Architects (AIA) ...http://www.arcomnet.com/masterspec

Feb 16, 16 11:10 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Everyday... let me look around. I could be mistaken. The last place I worked was a large design-builder and they took someone's data - I thought it was CSI, but maybe RSMeans - and translated it into the world's most-redundant proprietary internal database.

Feb 17, 16 8:03 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: