Archinect
anchor

Should I put this in my portfolio?

jgmr

I have some photographs of architecture and architectural elements that I took in my travels. I produced most of them myself in a photography darkroom.
Should I put this in my portfolio? Will it make my portfolio look stronger?

Feb 20, 05 2:20 pm
JG

If you do I would also add some kind of explanation and what these photogrpahs taught you. If they are merely for 'looks' leave them out, admission boards aren't fooled by pretty pictures, they like content.

Feb 20, 05 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
Bula

Portfolio for school or employment?

Either way I don't think it hurts unless the primary content or your portfolio is overshadowed by your hobby. It shows depth of creativity and an eye for composition. Place in the rear along side any freehand sketches, paintings, etc. you may have.

Feb 20, 05 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
wangsta

i put photography in my portfolio. however they weren't of specific buildings or places. I only included pics that showed off compositional skills and/or ideas that were created by my particular vantage point.

I wouldn't suggest putting in 'postcard' like photos of famous architecture. Even if the quality of the picture is amazing, it's not showing them anything new.

Feb 20, 05 4:22 pm  · 
 · 
Tim DeCoster

ditto to wangsta. my response would be prettymuch word for word.

Be sure to mention that you developed your own images in the dark room. I am kicking myself right now becasue I realize that this is a bit of information that I left out that would have made my photography page much stronger.

Feb 20, 05 4:33 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

sure, put them in. they show how you see. and how skillfull you are and you can be trusted with office camera duties (could be an important in, to job sites). all the better, they are architecture related, so interviewing architect can relate to them. however, keep them to reasonable amount. i find what architecture/design related work people do in their own time, a very important element in hiring process.

Feb 20, 05 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
wyoming81

Always better to show process in your portfolio. Try showing a study that you did of some kind. Maybe you took a lot of pictures of hand rails or facades because you were interested at the time. If you can find a theme, something that may have not even been a consious study at the time, and show how you utilized the camara to explore those elements during your travels it always helps in the presentation of photographic work. If nothing else at least show photographs of a diverse range of location to show the reviewer that you took the initiative to see and experience architecture.

Feb 21, 05 1:29 am  · 
 · 
e909
abra.
. i find what architecture/design related work people do in their own time, a very important element in hiring process

yeah, breadth (depth?) of interest.

And jgmr, great idea to include photos in presentation/portfolio/etc. I've got a few photos that I consider to be somewhat eye catching vignette-type details.

wyoming81
Try showing a study that you did of some kind.

So in the case of interviews, I could bring site study/analysis materials for some portfolio projects. If an interviewer seems interested in one specific project, I could show the associated site-study materials as further interview info.

Feb 21, 05 5:58 am  · 
 · 
wyoming81

I am just saying its better to show some process in your photography skills. These days a bunch of pretty pictures of travels abroad doesn't have the same value it once did due to the changing technology of photography. I always think it is better to show how you use the camara as a tool for architecture, art or as part of a journal of your travels. The best photographers are never taking picture of things, but are studying some theme or idea through the lense. Whether it be the new frontier of the 1800's or staged manipulations of nature. Often times in the case of architectural study trips there is always a theme that presents itself once you look back on the pictures you took. The idea is to set yourself apart from other individuals, and the deeper you can take any element of your portfolio the better. Otherwise it may be viewed as pretty filler without substance. Well taken pictures are a dime a dozen, just walk into your local coffee shop if you don't believe me.

Feb 21, 05 11:47 am  · 
 · 
jgmr

thanks everyone...you've all been very helpful.
i'm just updating my portfolio for future employment.

Feb 22, 05 8:35 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: