Archinect
anchor

job market, NYC

asonjay

I am interested in any advice or insight into the current job market for architectural interns in NYC. I live in Atlanta, graduate in May, and I want to move to New York as soon after graduation as possible. I have no idea, however, on the likelyhood of finding decent job fairly quickly.

I am also curious to know how any of you NYC interns live right now with cost of living being so high and starting salaries, as far as I can see from the salary poll, being fairly low.

Thanks for any input

Feb 19, 05 9:00 pm
duke19_98

I hear robert stern is hiring everyone that walks in the door.

Feb 19, 05 9:46 pm  · 
 · 
mmm3

be aggresive. i bought a one-way ticket for a week after graduation and stayed in a hostile. this gave me a month till i ran out of cash to pay for a bed & food. with this deadline i pursued every lead i had created. cold-calling, resume drop-offs, emailing, etc. i had a job within 2 weeks. gave me a better perspective on the real world and I think firms where impressed with my comitment.

after i got a job, i found a sublet for cheap, then found an apartment 6 mnths later. its been almost 2 years since. i still live paycheck to paycheck but i have managed to but anway a couple grand and upgraded my wardrobe (a must). it's hard being broke but it also makes you strive harder.

website's that should help you - craigslist.com , http://www.cons4arch.com/ - http://www.newyork-architects.com/

and get a website that shows off your portfolio/resume for emailing

Feb 19, 05 11:10 pm  · 
 · 
ursonate

Does it have to be New York? I just moved away from there after 15 years. I figure, if I'm going to struggle, I'll do it some place less expensive with a much better quality of life. Maybe I'm just getting old. Something to think about...

Feb 19, 05 11:20 pm  · 
 · 
asonjay

Thanks for the insight. I want to give New York a chance while I'm young. I don't see myself staying there forever. But I'm pretty sure I'll love the adventure of it for a few years at least.

mmm3, thats awesome that you just took off after graduation. I might try to work for the summer to save a little cash. Thanks for the websites.

Feb 20, 05 1:52 am  · 
 · 
anotherquestion

moving to nyc involves an immediate loss of ~2K: deposit & first months rent. plan in advance...

Feb 20, 05 8:16 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

only a thousand bucks a month for rent??? is it a closet?

Feb 20, 05 10:45 am  · 
 · 
Suture

How much is the going rate for a new wardrobe?

Feb 20, 05 11:35 am  · 
 · 
anthony dong

make sure you're resume doesn't read like you're straight out of high school....leave off the objective heading ---that's what you're cover letter is for.

Feb 20, 05 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
Suture

How much a nght in a New York hostile hostel?

Feb 20, 05 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
duke19_98

I'm planning on heading up there for a week or so after graduation. I'm hoping to have enough interviews set up during that week to so that I'll get a job somewhere. I'm also considering hopping down to Baltimore on the way back. Really, I've don't have anything to hold me back, so I'm just looking for an adventure.

Feb 20, 05 2:59 pm  · 
 · 
AUTOMAILER DAEMON DOOD

i'm starting interviews in ny in about 2 weeks, and if i pick up any things that might help you out, i'll let you guys know. i'm also dying to find out how difficult it will be (how long it will take) to land a good job. i guess the only thing i can recommend from my experience is to network as much as possible - you never know who knows/is friends with a principal at your "dream-internship" firm.

Feb 20, 05 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
Sean!

also look for housing in Brooklyn, rents are alittle cheaper then Manhattan. its just a subway away--Cobble hill, Brooklyn Heights, Boerum Hill or WIlliamsburg.....good luck

Feb 20, 05 5:38 pm  · 
 · 
Suture

jersey city yo!

Feb 20, 05 7:14 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

heard a story on npr a few months back about some guy who commuted something like three and half hours each way by car and then by train to manhatten from someplace in pennsylvania. you can get alot done on the train though ie sleep, make calls use computer.some life but at least he could afford a house with a white picket fence.

Feb 20, 05 8:19 pm  · 
 · 
asonjay

i think i'd rather build a cardboard picket fence around my cardboard home than commute that much. I hope that man loves his job.

Feb 20, 05 8:58 pm  · 
 · 
Suture

actually he just hates his wife!!!

Feb 21, 05 12:30 am  · 
 · 
anotherquestion

vado, to clarify: live in brooklyn. the "~" means 'estimated''. And this involves sharing an apt.

btw, i never paid >$900/mo in 6 years living in ny. the first 3 years here, i had a large NYC studio converted to a 2br at permission of building owner, i paid materials, they paid labor and did it in 24 hours. i didnt pay a broker's fee. i walked to work in 10 min every day.

living in ny is a great time, but there's a lot of competition and expense. some people thrive on that.

Feb 21, 05 2:18 am  · 
 · 
sanofiSYN

As another option to staying in a hotel or hostel, if you go on craigslist there are many ads for people looking to sublet their place for very short term periods (anywhere from one night to one week and up). I'm currently looking to find a new place and use this site often. Sometimes you'll find better deals than what you'd get at a hotel, other times not, but I recommend keeping it in consideration.

To everyone in general, I want to find a new apt in Brooklyn - Cobble Hill, the Hts, Williamsburg. Anyone know of a nice place?

Feb 21, 05 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
moto

Go get a Cell phone with a new york city number. then call every firm you can imagine and tell them are in the city and can come by durring a certain week... then when you have enough interviews set up (3-5) fly out and do the hostel thing. This is a great way to get interviews with out being in NYC. Aslo Get one of those po boxes from UPS and have that as your address on your resume... Trust me, if you don't have a NYC address and number they will never call, and this is the much cheaper then beatting the streats in the city and paying $1500 per month for rent...

Feb 23, 05 10:00 am  · 
 · 
Marc Pittsley

It's not true that they will never call if you don't have a NYC address and number. I lived in Boston before moving to NYC and did all of my job search using a Boston area code and mailing address. I had no problems.

Feb 23, 05 10:22 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: