Archinect
anchor

favorite stone slab?

awaiting_deletion

I'm in love with Portoro Marble lately, how about you?

Jan 24, 16 1:09 pm
senjohnblutarsky

I like some of the flavors of soapstone. 

That and it's pretty darn cool as a countertop material.  No one around here carries it, though. 

Jan 25, 16 8:21 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Does Labradorite count?

Jan 25, 16 8:49 am  · 
 · 
The Rosetta Stone is pretty cool.
Jan 25, 16 8:59 am  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Jet Mist granite is my favorite. It has subtle patterns and looks particularly good in a brushed finish:

Soapstone varies a lot in hardness, but my favorite is Churchill--it's very hard, with a green tint that looks almost black when it's oiled regularly, and it's mined in the US:

Side note, if you're in New England, I've worked with many different shops and these are hands-down the best: http://www.morningstarmarble.com/. They have very high-tech measuring, layout and cutting systems and excellent customer service.

Jan 25, 16 9:32 am  · 
 · 
joseffischer

I love Churchill Soapstone. I've had 2 clients pick it, very nice.

Nov 6, 19 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

jet mist granite looks awesome, and it's granite.

Jan 25, 16 10:45 pm  · 
 · 
jacobshirley

The portoro marble is interesting but I'm not a fan of heavy grains. I think it's too easy to distract from the design of the space when the stone is noisy. Never underestimate something sexy like - http://spec.ninja/material/2246/Countertops+Summit+White+Daltile+Granite

I currently have a client that wants a huge 12' slab for a fireplace surround in a high end resort penthouse. I'm thinking a clean book matched slab. - http://spec.ninja/material/7228/Countertops+Aura+Cosentino+Dekton

Dec 22, 16 10:22 am  · 
 · 
tintt

I'm loving this subtle striped countertop with matching backsplash.

May 26, 17 11:14 am  · 
 · 
proto

^^^ nice! not sure if it's the same, but used a marble like that in our shower

i've seen a lot of nice quartzites recently with great veining

May 26, 17 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
tintt

I haven't figured out what that is but was looking for a quartz (manufactured) that had a nice linear veining like that anyways.... so if you have seen one, please say so!

May 26, 17 2:11 pm  · 
 · 
proto

i've been unimpressed with the quartz patterns so far. Try quartzite, actual stone, same bomber characteristics for kitchen use. Pental had a ton of white based ones last I was there. We have one in our kitchen that's quite nice

May 26, 17 4:53 pm  · 
 · 
tintt

Yeah, I don't think it exists in manufactured stone. I'll look at the natural stone ones. Thanks.

May 26, 17 9:58 pm  · 
 · 

Every time I got to ABC in Brooklyn I fall in love. Last time it was with this slab, which I made a table out of:

May 26, 17 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Slate SlabRock

For current and future MST3K fans, the many names of David Ryder.

May 26, 17 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
proto

@tintt

quartzite

marble

May 26, 17 5:13 pm  · 
 · 

That striped marble is sweeeet.

May 26, 17 7:30 pm  · 
 · 
tintt

I'm really digging the stripes. Need to calm down though, getting too excited.

May 26, 17 10:03 pm  · 
 · 
Beehelp

My present love is black lighting 

Jun 12, 17 10:18 am  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

Whats up with architects' fetish with stone and lighting? I personally love big machinery a d projects under construction. Isnt that more exciting that the newest LED controls or stone slabs? 

Jun 13, 17 8:06 am  · 
 · 
tintt

No.

Jun 13, 17 11:15 am  · 
 · 
tintt

This stringy silvery ethereal stuff. 

Jul 16, 17 6:24 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

I've seen more pleasant hospital operating rooms - or is that one?

Dec 27, 18 7:59 am  · 
 · 
tduds

If you hate contrast, I guess.

Nov 6, 19 1:25 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

• ×Search in: