Archinect
anchor

two souls, one breast

dasein

just curious do any of you have a passion that competes with architecture? meaning a hobby or other interest that you have thought about pursuing instead of architecture.

i love food and wine, and have flirted with the idea of going to culinary school. its hard to imagine leaving architecture though. i keep trying to strategize a way to do both. i've been thinking about those odd combination shops here in new york. like lunettes e chocolat - a store that sells both chocolate and sun glasses. combination architecture studio and pastry shop? i don't know.

any other good stories?

Feb 16, 05 9:44 am
aemkei

A good friend of mine owns a small independent movie theatre/café in addition to his architecture career. His taste in movies is far greater than his taste in architecture, so everyone is happy for whatever side-projects he starts that will take his focus from actually designing buildings.

Feb 16, 05 10:51 am  · 
 · 
FRO

I would eventually like my design/build firm to sponsor my downhill MTB team.

Feb 16, 05 11:03 am  · 
 · 
MADianito

im into girls besides architecture....and i think i have great taste in both...also music...

Feb 16, 05 12:27 pm  · 
 · 
archiphreak

design/build/run my own bar...ahh, the simple life for me...

Feb 16, 05 12:41 pm  · 
 · 
Museschild

i'd love to be a schmaltzy lounge singer, nights. don't even care if no one comes to hear me. just sing jazz standards & etc. all night long, with some dude at a piano & a bass player. mm. then I wouldn't fall asleep at night with "CAD screen" images flashing through my head.

Feb 16, 05 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
MADianito

i have this theory that architects r potential karaoke psychos...i've went to karaokes w/mates of school of arch, and also with ppl from office...and trust me archs r always the ones who want to sing more...

Feb 16, 05 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
Manteno_Montenegro

I build dioramas of popular cityscapes and then smash them with a lead mallet in a public performance that demonstrates the awesome power that misbuilt human clones could one day have on civilization.

Feb 16, 05 3:04 pm  · 
 · 
mmm3

my passion that competes with architecture is money. i dream of dollar signs. and the more the days turn into weeks, weeks turn... etc. i relieze that i going to have to broaden my horizons one of these days. focusing on the dialy grind to see the larger picture is depressing and also motivation (to be my own boss).

Feb 16, 05 6:30 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

breasts are my passion actually

Feb 16, 05 7:04 pm  · 
 · 

i've often flirted with the idea of starting an underground restaurant... private apartment and a fixed price dinner, somewhat fixed menu...but those in the know just show up. no liquor unless you bring it.

Feb 16, 05 9:44 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

ive dallied with the idea of starting a byof (bring your own food) restaurant since i dont cook so good

Feb 16, 05 10:18 pm  · 
 · 
c.k.

shoemaking is what i've always wanted to learn

Feb 16, 05 11:16 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

I am a graphic designer and print maker. I have been doing serigraph printing for over 10 years...tons for bands over the last 4...I love it...Screenprinting is a passion I will never gve up...it keeps me rooted in my graphic design education which was pre computer and all Stat camera, rapidograph, wax maxchine, film seps, etc...a tactile experience a computer can not replace.

It all rolls into a love of design in the broadest of terms...and architecture is just a small part...I like seeing where the lines cross.

Feb 17, 05 1:21 am  · 
 · 
momentum

i would love to do comic art and architecture, but both together would ensure my wife leaving me.

Feb 17, 05 7:04 am  · 
 · 

I'd love to buy an old fire station and do a design/build on it, turning it into both my studio/apartment/workshop and a youth center/venue/gallery focusing on giving local music a place to play. I've been involved with the hardcore/punk/indie scene as a spectator for a long time now, and really want to give something back to it.

But for now and for a while, I fear its nothing more than a dream...

Feb 17, 05 8:50 am  · 
 · 
VanWinkle

So you want to create your studio/apartment in the same place as a youth center? I'm calling the cops......

Feb 17, 05 8:53 am  · 
 · 

most fire stations out here that aren't being used are the old fashioned two or three story richardson-romanesque rip-off type. My space would be on the upper floor, and the first floor could be the venue type space.

Its been done before, so its not some kind of progressive concept that I came up with. There was an article in readymade magazine about a group of recent college grads that pretty much did the same thing. I can't find the website for the project at the moment, so if anyone knows what it is, post it or something...

Feb 17, 05 9:18 am  · 
 · 

there was an excellent 16,ooo sf firehouse in cincinnati for sale for $365k. I dreamed about it non-stop.

Feb 17, 05 10:34 am  · 
 · 

Anyone have a side passion for cars? I would like to try designing a car, including all the mechanical components.

Feb 17, 05 10:35 am  · 
 · 
Archi-F

Florist - biodegradable art

Feb 17, 05 10:19 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

Yeh I have another worthless career idea, a painter

pixelwhore - I want to do that to a church

Feb 17, 05 10:22 pm  · 
 · 
betamax

i saw a nineteenth century prison for sale in my hometown last summer. i wanted that prison soooooo bad. i'm sorry for what i have done.

Feb 17, 05 10:34 pm  · 
 · 

there's an old prison for sale out here in Western MA too. Its right along the highway and every time I drive by it I think of the possibilities that I could never afford.

Feb 17, 05 11:59 pm  · 
 · 
Anonymous

Politics is a side passion of mine. As architects we really have a small part in creating the built environments we live in. It's very much related to and influences our profession so I find a natural inclination towards it.

Feb 18, 05 12:55 pm  · 
 · 
Minimal Animal

Photography..

I can easily see myself as a professional photographer as an alternative career...

Feb 18, 05 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
SpringFresh

I am leaving architecture to pursue the passion that is my own life.

but i also want to design and run a bar, though realistically i will just be working in one as i try and pay bills while i write my book...

and no not the little red one. this ones big and will have lots of pictures

and yes love photography and painting- especially the idea that creative work can be totally intuitive and impulsive- which i dont think that architecture really is.

Feb 20, 05 6:53 pm  · 
 · 
ev

i would like to be a male prostitue...or buy an old fire station and start a "ghost-busting" business.

Feb 20, 05 9:25 pm  · 
 · 
e909
ive dallied with the idea of starting a byof (bring your own food) restaurant since i dont cook so good

oh. you're that guy with all the huge pockets.

Feb 20, 05 11:43 pm  · 
 · 
e909

comedian (oh, now you laugh.)
music (too weird)
2-d and 3-d 'art'.
some biological interests (but not just an old fashioned impregnation service)
politics? only as an 'influential' heckler. have you ever tried staying awake at a city hall or commission meeting? best cure for insomnia ever devised.

those all seem to require better networking/pr abilities than i have. plus i need to incorporate functional parts in my creations... or they seem irresponsibly wasteful.

Feb 20, 05 11:57 pm  · 
 · 
asonjay

volcano photographer

Feb 21, 05 1:41 am  · 
 · 
MADianito

i dream of doing nothing and still earning a life.....maybe just renting hamocs in a beach back in mexico, that would be good.... and surf in the mornings

Feb 21, 05 11:26 am  · 
 · 
rutger

Location scout for James Bond movies :-)

Feb 21, 05 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
dia

I'm with mmm3. After 5 years of education, almost 3 years of post grad work, a student loan of over $50,000, a paltry salary, a child, and little chance of anything getting better if I stay on the archi-course, I am contemplating a switch.

Feb 21, 05 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

i'm dabbling with getting into DJing.

Feb 28, 05 3:19 am  · 
 · 
e909

i get too dizzy when spinning.

Feb 28, 05 6:56 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: