Archinect
anchor

Work in India???

GT+...:(

Yeah, sorry let's put an end to it. Georgia Tech. . . . .what. . . .I don't know what your talking about. Mariano, whatever, I don't feel like arguing anymore, you won.

Feb 22, 05 9:12 pm  · 
 · 
e

we are talking about your comments in a previous post where you mention attending georgia tech and g-love hoping that your name has nothing to do with the school since he/she went there too. i assume he/she does not feel your rhetoric aligns with his/her university.

Feb 22, 05 9:24 pm  · 
 · 
sharpie.

Lemme finish it up.. AISHSWARYA RAI dropped out as an ARCHITECTURE student from BOMBAY.

Feb 23, 05 1:31 am  · 
 · 
Minimal Animal

so?

what's the big deal with Aishwarya Rai being an architecture school dropout ???

Feb 23, 05 11:56 am  · 
 · 
fakeid

i, too, recall GT+ saying that he went to georgia tech in another thread..

3 things..

it's despicable to say one thing while doing another.. for instance, saying it's not personal while doing the contrary, it's an act of a wimp, a backstabber, and a bottom dweller.. to make things worse, it's even more disturbing when one's scared to reveal one's identity.. i thought juvenile behavior ceases when puberty kicks in..

2ndly, the insecurity of an inferior individual is totally understandable.. however, it's a only-the-strong-survive world, sounds corny but convincing.. the society is not a charity organization.. the race can't stop when an impotent stumbles and falls.. if you can't make the roster, you're cut, as simple as that, don't request for mercy and retain some dignity.. there're plenty of american who made it far and succeeded regardless.. in fact, most high ranks in most firms are american..

3rdly, being in atl, where tech is situated, i perfectly understand the difference between the red and blue states..

no offense and nothing personal..

'your wisdom is only surpassed by your own ignorance. - ESPN college game day commercial'

my two cent..

Feb 23, 05 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
newstreamlinedmodel

ies Van Der Rhoe dropped out of architecture school too and I’ll be darned if that’s not another dern foreign name. Guess they got us again boys.

Feb 23, 05 10:19 pm  · 
 · 
blackbird

"us and them"

those words have been haunting me for a while.

i was speaking to a friend of mine who moved to north america from trinidad. his forefathers were portuguese. we got to talking about marriages and families and approvals and ties that have to be considered when u live in a home (i wont generalise by saying culture), as he does, where everybody is involved in everybody else's life - they seem to accept it, enjoy it, hate it and just go on with it.

What he told me was - his grandmother would totally disapprove if he married some one of indian decent (he didnt know it at the time but he would later marry a girl from pakistan who he met in canada). I asked him if thats what an indian grandmother felt as well about a portuguese groom for her granddaughter - (this was also the same time i was learning about the crazy mix that trini is made of - various cultures, religions, "foreigners", languages).

he then started to give me a list of which group prefered which groom or bride. so indians disapprove of their (granddaugters?) marrying people from african decent, africans of the portuguese, on and on.

it was a list that could be designed like a color gradient - name of people and their ethnicity (wish i had a better word for this too) and a little square of color.

trinidad is a melting pot where most people dont know who their ancestors are, which city they came from - most of these people came from older civilizations, with a lot of history, with a lot of traditions - the weight of an old culture where it is difficult to sometimes be free - to do what you want (tangent: america still is/was about freedom to some). example: india, where you can trace ur family tree to a few thousand years and sometimes be discriminated for it. here they were in trinidad - with a chance to start at the begining........(?)

and they got themselves a color chart.

us and them.

is it innate in our make up then (maybe we are mutants - if you want world peace you have to genetically alter us.)
if a human being had an indentical twin (as close i can get to eliminating this buffer zone) -
one would find a reason to be better than the other.
(even as mundane a thought as "ohh god am so glad am not as fat as that cow sitting in front of me........"
you could replace fat cells and beauty with god, or sex or a favourite - color.
and you could replace the looking away in mild distaste to hacking off someone into bits because they are different and therefore......

p.s. 2 days ago someone murdered a gay man in his apartment a few blocks from where i live. stories circulating it was the work of a homophobic.

p.p.s. on a bus stop once i asked a native indian lady where she was from and she looked at me and opened her arms.
it was one of those moments where i understood her perfectly - she opened her arms wide and it seemed to take in the horizon....which touched the sea, which touched another shore somewhere........

its all just "us"
for now the foreigner is the little green martian......for now.
when do u think we'll get that?

but for the likes of people like 'e' and 'g-love' and other like-minded people that make up the world -

it would be long dead.

Feb 24, 05 12:04 pm  · 
 · 
e

well put blackbird. the pps story was great. weAREtheSTONES, i say go. not because of the intolerence of some, but because it will be a beautiful, life altering experience. how often do we have opportunities like this presented to us? sieze the moment my friend. it will open your eyes, broaden your horizons, and make you a better person. i know visiting my wife's homeland humbled me and gave me an even deeper appreciation of who she is.

maybe you and your girlfriend could discuss what if it doesn't work? would she be willing to come back with you? would a trial period be an option for you?

Feb 24, 05 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
nike

i thought i was in the local train of mumbai or probably at annual NASA where students were fighting for no reason esp academy and JJ or is it Sir JJ

Aug 25, 05 6:44 am  · 
 · 
6nuew

Annual NASA is a joke. It resembles a hostile inter-tribal conference more than an academic meet between soon-to-be professionals. I wish I hadn't attended the one that I did attend, I could've just watched the ending of Ace Ventura: When nature calls. Pathetic... I'm glad Daniel Libesking and Norman Foster didn't attend, like they were supposed to.

Aug 25, 05 8:13 am  · 
 · 
6nuew

*LibeskinD

Aug 25, 05 8:13 am  · 
 · 
sharpie.

c`mon manuG, NASA becomes a joke when you come out of college. but, when do you get to meet or know what other soon-to-be professionals from various colls do?

who hosted it? and were libeskind and lord foster really invited?

Aug 25, 05 8:52 am  · 
 · 
spiderdad

what's NASA?

i guess its not the space people.

Aug 25, 05 10:15 am  · 
 · 
sharpie.

'NASA' also stands for NATIONAL ASSOCIATION FOR THE STUDENTS OF ARCHITECTURE, IN INDIA.
the association member colleges and non-member colleges gather at every annual convention to discuss plans, host competitions,events, invites lectures.
academically- learn, discuss, listen, pin up sheets etc etc..
non-acedemic- dance/sing/play/makeout.....overall.. there is a whole lot of fun and rollick.

imagine, over 100 architecture colleges with each college coming up with around 30 delegates. plus there are zonal meets when nearly 30 colleges take part.

Aug 25, 05 10:39 am  · 
 · 
6nuew

I'm still in college, and I think NASA is jst terrible. Most of the participating colleges that win the events do nothing the entire semester in college other than practice for the damned 'cultural events' and put in marathons of measured drawing work, none of which actually helps em in real/academic life in any way.

I'm from RVSA, in bangalore.. we do pretty well in the design and on-the-spot events, but lose terribly in the louis kahn trophy, since we dont sit around and prepare for it all semester long. I think JNTU, hyderabad or someone hosted it.. Secunderabad actually. To their credit, the food was great. Where did you study, chameleon?

Aug 25, 05 12:47 pm  · 
 · 
6nuew

oh, and a visit by Libeskind and Foster was mentioned on the invitation that was sent to our college. Thankfully they didnt, and i am even more thankful for the fact that i narrowly lost out being elected as 'unit designee' from our school.

Aug 25, 05 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
sharpie.

chill dude, maybe its not as bad as you make it sound. i was the usec of my college and i had a ball of a time organising things, not to forget an amazing experience clearing debts when we hosted the zonal convention at chennai.
nasa was`nt all about just preparing for the trophies, there was more to it. swinging flags, screamin slogans with the clan at the top of our voices. team events, getting to know the juniors in college better. yes, there was a whole lot to it. well, that`s the fun part.
i did learn a lot during the annual convention looking at the displayed sheets, a few seminars were quite good actually. the biggest disappointment comes when the team works amaazingly hard on a trophy, but due to some politics fails to get noticed.
hah! and not to mention the student politics. it mostly is a mad house when all usecs get together to solve the " issues". as far as i`ve seen, after debating over measly things, most bigger problems were never solved.

anyway, the point is enjoy it when it is there and be part of the only arch. student tradition in our country when you are still in college. you can`t expect people to teach you construction and hold design studios for a gathering of 3000 people, can you? anyhoo that`s me. i did my arch at madras univ. good luck.

Aug 25, 05 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
6nuew

I guess u and me are just different. I couldnt stand the flag waving or chanting. FYI I didnt want construction or design studios, its just that i was hoping for something stimulating and more focussed on interaction and fun than conga lines and drumming and body paint (I have video evidence to back this up), and all the ppl from my school seemed to agree. I guess thats why RVSA is kinda disliked among archi schools in India. anyway, glad u enjoyed it.. ciao.

Aug 25, 05 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

come on guys....NASA is fun when you are in the 3rd year. I used to hate it when people would start behaving as if it was the most important thing to happen in their educational careers.
I used to like it for the parties, to meet the people from different schools you would never meet otherwise, and yes, the ladies!!! I guess it was just meant to chill out and have a nice time, but my information might be outdated, since the last annual i attended was way back in '96 (in delhi)

Aug 25, 05 2:50 pm  · 
 · 
nike

So sameolddoctore did you attended the nagpur nasa? i was there too. i was in my fourth year then i guess. you miss it when you pass out.I think it is time to attend CA meetings and see what happens. Iknow usecs for nasa had meetings and descisions on trivial issues but i can bet that when CA meets it must be the most boring convention that really has no conclusion. there is one in september at delhi.

Aug 29, 05 7:11 am  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

you mean the COA??? what a bunch of dumb fucks that organization is made of...

Aug 29, 05 6:54 pm  · 
 · 
nike

If you think so why should you be registered with it? I hope you are if you are practising as an architect in India. Anyways what do i care what you think about them.

Aug 30, 05 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

i am registered with them because one has to, to be practising in india...

Aug 30, 05 2:35 pm  · 
 · 
bRink

Actually... NASA sounds interesting... I don't think this kind of enthusiasm is a bad thing, I can't imagine anyone in the states or canada getting that worked up for an interschool event like that... Out of curiosity, how many accredited architecture schools are there in India roughly?

Aug 31, 05 5:06 am  · 
 · 
TickerTocker

about 120 odd.

Aug 31, 05 8:35 am  · 
 · 
nike

Nasa used to be great when we were in college. if you had worked for a trophy day and night it was your time to freak out on campus, and if you didnt then too it was time to freak out. As an individual you came to know what students from other colleges didand how they did. If nothing it does instill a sense of achieving something without being forced to. Its not like if you dont work for Nasa you are not going to clear the year or you shall not get so many credits. Its purely your volition.One thing Nasa teaches you is it is only your limits that allow you achieve a certain level or beyond. So when you have to compare your work to a lot more people you know that there are a lot of things that you could have done better. Anyways the true principle of a good design is also trying to better it all the time and there is always a scope for improvement. Bad designers always critisize others and are angry that why couldnt they think about it. In the whole process they dont realise that the best compliment for a good designer is critism because it helps to better the design and the designer.
Anyways too much of lecture on NASA. My whole point was its the way you look at things and i for one feel that NASA is good for students if they want to learn.

Aug 31, 05 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
yenafar

once i posted something on cheap univs, u know why GT? cause foreigners pay four or more times tution than insiders. and thats the money(part of) spent on your education. why they shouldt have the chance to make the money they have spent on their educatin ? ... just another point

Aug 31, 05 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

what u talking bout?

Aug 31, 05 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
_other_

its too bad i missed this thread the first time round cuz i'm pretty sure i went to highschool with gt.(not from looking over old posts,,, i just know the rhetoric) Myself being a hick from the south now living in the UK,, the last election here was really amusing.They were talking about the same thing(damn ferners takin er jobs),but now they were talking about me....and round and round we go. bottom line is that if you are just a generic arch. then you aren't in demand no matter what/where. and on the plus side of the elections: as a middle class white dude i got to pretend like i was oppressed....everybody wins.

Aug 31, 05 6:30 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: