Archinect
anchor

example of a good architecture for future architects

isnen

I am working on the design of an architectural school in Europe. Can you help me with some good examples already build.

Feb 15, 05 1:46 pm
Minimal Animal

Ohio State University...School of Architecture..
Scogin and Bray

Feb 15, 05 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
Anonymous

Crown Hall, Mies van der Rohe, IIT. One large space allowing everyone to interact and allowing traffic and ideas to flow with ease. That's my biased opinion. Also, 5' module became great reference tool as all I needed to do to gauge the size of something I was drawing was look up at the facade or down at the floor and count modules. Really gave me a sense of scale not being closed in a space.

Feb 15, 05 5:03 pm  · 
 · 
MMatt

Anonymous, it's great as long as you don't care about the comfort of the students (glare! heat gain!), the ancient HVAC which only kicks on 10 minutes too late and too slowly to do any real good, a severe lack of pinup space, crowded/messy/distracting work spaces, and the fact that now the upper level studios are housed in an entirely seperate building.

Scratch that, it's not great. Great ideas don't make great architecture. I find the space uncomfortable, poorly lit, and simply uninviting.

.mm

Feb 15, 05 10:15 pm  · 
 · 
MMatt

Not that our AA building at UIC is any prize. Far from it. This building alone should scare away any urge to ever do a field theory project.

Sorry, isnen... I guess I'm more equipped to tell you what NOT to reference. I've never been in a really convincing, well thought architecture building. :(

.mm

Feb 15, 05 10:16 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

most architecture schools are examples of what not to design

Feb 15, 05 10:25 pm  · 
 · 
David Cuthbert

H&dM - Tate Moderne

Feb 16, 05 7:53 am  · 
 · 
MADianito

alejandro aravena's schools at Chile....(a highschool and a couple of buildings of the university)

i think its published in a CROQUIS number....but not sure

Feb 16, 05 11:41 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: