Archinect
anchor

Beijing...what to see??

Gotan

Hello,
just learned I will be in Beijing next week...
there is, I guess a lot to see...
any highlights appart the Forbidden City?

Feb 15, 05 11:37 am
Sullivan.DJ

The Summer Palace, Temple of Heaven, The Great Wall, check out a food market and make sure you get lost in the Hutongs. They were one of the most interesting housing types I've seen and are disappearing as the city grows.

Just a warning, the english students are actually just trying to scam you or bring you to spend your money at their clients stores. I learned this the hard way - so naive....

Have a great time, I spent an amazing week in the city.

Feb 15, 05 11:54 am  · 
 · 
mm

The Summer Palace is one of the most amazing monuments I've seen.

For the experience, go to the Silk Market. It's very entertaining to see several thousand tourists trying to negotiate deals on fake Prade and Gucci wares.

I love Beijing. I was there for several weeks during grad school working on a studio project. The bars and cafes near Tsinghua University are pretty fun.

Tienamen Square is awe inspiring, too.

Feb 15, 05 12:50 pm  · 
 · 
taboho

there's an underground city (basically network of subterranean tunnels) that was used during one of the wars (not sure which one). the idea was that in the case of nuclear attack, people would find asylum there. i don't remember the location of the entrance. it's a small, indescript door in one of the hutongs. check your guidebook. it's kinda spooky, but also kinda amazing.

Feb 15, 05 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
Crumpets

I was really overwhelmed and impressed with the Temple of Heaven.
Beijing is one of my favorite cities. I'm jealous. Have Fun!

Feb 15, 05 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
taboho

since we're on the topic, let's share suggestions on things to see in china in general. might be making a trip there (shanghai, beijing, xian, and even possibly tibet). thx.

Feb 15, 05 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
plexus 1

dining is an amazing experience if you have a native host and can avoid the tourist traps, or the perception that you are a tourist. let's just say there is very little waste when it comes to livestock, fish and fowl!

try the bowl of sizzling baby eel.....

enjoy!

Feb 15, 05 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
qunqing

you are lucky if you can visit beijing after snowing!
enjoy!

Feb 15, 05 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
Gotan

Thanks for your insights!

I''ll post pictures!

Feb 15, 05 3:39 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: