Archinect
anchor

modernist mcmansions

taboho

can anyone suggest examples of modernist mcmansions? perhaps some case study houses (neutra), but any really, really big ones? preferably built in the past 10-20 years?

Feb 14, 05 1:17 pm
futureboy

none of the case study houses were really mcmansions...but there are plenty of good examples of modernist mcmansions....
in dwell(i believe it was january's issue) they recently covered a house project outside of chicago that just felt way over the top...most wood/zapata have also done some extremely huge houses for people in the US and abroad (i believe i recently saw one published that was in brazil?)
i'm positive the list doesn't stop there. i know that thomas phifer recently did a house upstate new york that was huge as well.

Feb 14, 05 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
taboho

and i guess meier comes to mind too.

Feb 14, 05 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

Gwathmey Seigal (sp) has a TON of oversized McMansion/Museums

Feb 14, 05 1:47 pm  · 
 · 
sure2016

What makes a mansion a 'mcmansion'? I would guess it would have to mean several were built and they all look the same regardless of the site? And of low quality?

Feb 14, 05 2:30 pm  · 
 · 
Devil Dog

high fat content with special sauce, lettuce, cheese all on a seseme seed pile of crap. that's what makes a 'mcmansion'. you also get a choice to supersize it in some subdivisions.

Feb 14, 05 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
taboho

is the "modernist mcmansion" an oxymoron then?

Feb 14, 05 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Are people using "mcmansion" synonymously with "large house"? If so, why not just say large house? If it's different, say how.

Feb 14, 05 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

you guys are right, just because it's big, doesn't make it a McMansion. Gwathmey, though, does make some damn similar stuff that looks more like a museum than a house. At least Meier has some diversity.

Phifer's stuff definitely doesn't qualify.

Feb 14, 05 4:09 pm  · 
 · 
newstreamlinedmodel

I’ve worked on building some Gwathmey jobs and they were definitely detailed to the hilt and made of super fancy materials. They didn’t total deconstruct my paradigm or anything but they were some pretty sweet pads.

You definitely have to separate the Mac from the mansion.

Feb 14, 05 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
e

mmmm, special sauce.

Feb 14, 05 5:56 pm  · 
 · 
taboho

hmmm... well, let's try to define (or at least characterize) a mcmansion then. perhaps let's start with jchermely's description of a homogenous set of low-quality houses regardless of site conditions? what else? and perhaps a disregard for site conditions cannot be used to characterize mcmansions since many modernist boxes don't adapt to site conditions either?

Feb 14, 05 6:55 pm  · 
 · 
RNNR

hmm... trace, i hope your suggestion of Meier's diversity was tongue-in-cheek.

something about white boxes comes to mind (or the slightly worse, 2D box known as the square grid), and something seemingly dislocated from their rightful home on the beach in Malibu?

i'd agree with avoiding the 'Mc' prefix for many of these contemporary examples - though i'd also suggest that much of the stuff in Dwell Mag is suspiciously similar, not to mention their recent prefab bent which could soon achieve 'Mc' status...

Feb 14, 05 7:34 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

mc mansion by my definition would be a house that is too big for its lot. does not consider its site or context, promotes square footage over character and detail. a large house is not necessarily a mcmansion as i have been involved in some incredibly detailed residences that were designed in traditional styles ie arts and crafts, tudor etc. some of these were mansions and they were nothing that mickey d's would give ya. peace

Feb 14, 05 7:54 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

this is avarage fare;
modernist-yes
big-yes
material quality-expensive materials
site condition-hillsite with ocean views
architectural pedigree-richard meier with the knowledge of corbusian kidney/ear
represents-success and adventurous conservative
mortgage-%20 down 37K a month
location-san diego county
architect-award winning
client-for sale
mc maison-yes
is architect working on similar projects?-yes. his office building these in quantities.

(its out of my league. i just made this up for entertainment, house is listed in san diego county, its a generic representation of architectural properties)

Feb 14, 05 8:00 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

that doesnt qualify in my book.

Feb 14, 05 8:04 pm  · 
 · 
taboho

agree with vado.

also, as a reference http://www.wordspy.com/words/McMansion.asp

Feb 14, 05 8:07 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

how about this one in riyadh by bart prince?

Feb 14, 05 8:14 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i used to live right around the corner from bart's spaceship. i really dislike his work but he is a really nice guy

Feb 14, 05 8:16 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

i love the space ship...reminds me of the space ship from Flash Gordon...I do understand he is not everyone's cup of tea...but I also think he does a good job of staying unique and different, which is good.

Feb 14, 05 8:32 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

Vado seems to be talking about Bellaire in Houston...many houses being remodeled and their footprint is about 80 to 90% of the lot...its just nuts...but its their money...pit.

Feb 14, 05 8:33 pm  · 
 · 
Frit

For me, the phrase McMansion refers less to the design of a single example and more on the category. The "Mc" part refers to the "anybody can get one" aspect, where you see whole communities with essentially the same house, and people scarf 'em up because they want to have what everyone else has. Some of the things listed above, like too big for the site, no context are definitely indicative of the phenomenon, but you can have a poorly designed house that's not a McMansion.

I have to say (hope to believe) that none of the architects we can name here produce McMansions. The names of those who do can be found in the credits of plan books. I'm willing to give anyone who designs a singular house (i.e. not meant for replication) the benefit of the doubt. They may produce a piss poor house, but not a McMansion.

Feb 15, 05 7:55 pm  · 
 · 
taboho

well said frit.

Feb 15, 05 8:15 pm  · 
 · 
jwo

McMansion = starter castle

Feb 16, 05 1:42 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: