Archinect
anchor

a present for a future architect.

diddy

hey arch students...

I have a friend who is going for his B.a. in arch. I want to get him a architecturish-artsy present.

any suggestions? what would you want? oh yeh the price range is 30 and below

Feb 10, 05 3:59 pm
post-neorealcrapismist

a brown colered pencil, sketches look better in brown

Feb 10, 05 4:01 pm  · 
 · 
ross

not a frank lloyd wright book (i like wright). he'll be getting plenty of these from others.

Feb 10, 05 4:05 pm  · 
 · 
pencrush

Maybe a subscription to a design magazine like dwell. If you want a tangible object you could buy the latest issue and give him that, tell him you got him a year's worth. Dwell's only 20 bucks a year, there are others you could get for under 30 though..

Feb 10, 05 4:23 pm  · 
 · 
taboho

moleskin sketchbook

Feb 10, 05 4:25 pm  · 
 · 
kendogg

how about a Michael Graves Solitaire Game? It's architecturish (Michael Graves is an architect), artsy (he's an artist) and fun! Only $16.99 at Target!

Feb 10, 05 4:25 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

subscription is a good idea. i would opt for readymade

i think one of the best presents i ever bought myself was my moleskine

Feb 10, 05 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
TED
definitely a t-shirt kind of present

by the way, 30 and below makes it fall in the range of 'knock off'

Feb 10, 05 4:35 pm  · 
 · 

I'm with Stephanie, readymade is great. Its kinda architectural, but at the same time its kinda not. A nice change of pace that isn't really a change of pace...

Feb 10, 05 4:39 pm  · 
 · 
e909

> 2$B trust fund?

Feb 10, 05 4:48 pm  · 
 · 
losdogedog

a nice pen. they will keep it forever.

Feb 10, 05 5:23 pm  · 
 · 
SpringFresh

i agree with subscriptions- but i'd go for wallpaper myself- a bit broader, but always interesting

Feb 10, 05 6:06 pm  · 
 · 
pencrush

Yes, Readymade is a great magazine. It might be a better choice as well, because depending on where you live, it can be hard to find.

If you're not into a subscription you might check out a copy of Readymade, they usually have a section of cheap(ish) design gift ideas.

Feb 10, 05 6:07 pm  · 
 · 
charbroil

Phaidon Atlas, especially if he is in school.

Feb 10, 05 8:01 pm  · 
 · 
Jeremy_Grant

a $30 gift certificate to amazon.com

he's going to have to buy a lot of books and they have a great new and used architecture selection.

Feb 10, 05 8:49 pm  · 
 · 
biomec

an external hard drive....by far the best present ive received

Feb 11, 05 12:11 am  · 
 · 

i'd skip the pen. i can't remember how many i've lost over the years - some of them really beautiful.

Feb 11, 05 9:10 am  · 
 · 
David Cuthbert

yea avoid the pen. Pens that regular people think are cool architects gwaack at. Trust mi was given the black with gold trim mont blanc when all I wanted with the ss one

Feb 11, 05 9:47 am  · 
 · 
Lateralus57

maya unlimited 6.5......... but thats if you haver.... eh ..... 6 grand to blow.........

Feb 11, 05 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
batiment

a good book: Kahn's Conversations With Students.

easy to read, inspirational but not in that stupid way. a good introduction to a passion of architecture.

Feb 11, 05 3:36 pm  · 
 · 
db

archinect "architecture sucks" t-shirt -- really is there any doubt ???

Feb 11, 05 3:48 pm  · 
 · 
ge-ril-a

an espresso coffee machine!

gaggia 540

and a sleeping bag

Feb 12, 05 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

an application to a bood MBA program

Feb 12, 05 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

or, at the very least, get a him a good book on the business of architecture/building

Amazon gift certificate would be good. That Phaidon Atlas is a good buy, too, for over all coverage.

Feb 12, 05 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

damn, GOOD MBA PROGRAM

Feb 12, 05 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

if your friend is heading to school in chicago a gift certificate to prairie avenue bookshop would be great. how bout a massage gift certificate. they come in handy. also booze is good

Feb 12, 05 4:52 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

I'll go one better than the external hard drive, get him an iPod.

Feb 12, 05 8:30 pm  · 
 · 
anotherquestion

if you want to go cheaper than a hard drive or ipod, a small flash drive.
they can transfer all of those files they'll be working on at the school lab + home ALL THE TIME! also: i hear the school server crashes regularly and students lose their work. so tell your student friend: back up those files baby.

Feb 15, 05 12:50 am  · 
 · 
Manteno_Montenegro

Rapidagraph Pens. Are people still using those?

Feb 15, 05 9:39 am  · 
 · 
Minimal Animal

IDEO Method cards

Feb 15, 05 2:12 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: