Archinect
anchor

Intern duties/ Library maintenance

SullivanJ

Has anyone had any experience maintaining a firm's library as an intern, meeting with vendors etc... What does this entail, what was your approach, and what did you learn from it? I just recently graduated so I don't have a lot of experience with this. Any information would be great.

Feb 7, 05 2:28 pm

I'm an intern here in my firm as well, and I too help with maintaning the library, updating it, meeting with vendors, setting up presentation etc.

I think I learn a lot about the industry, building materials + methods during the process of updating the library. Sometimes, you also learn from the experience of sales representatives on different products etc.

I don't have any prior experience in this department, but I think the challege here is to pick up the phone and call up reps. They are usually very helpful.

Feb 7, 05 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

i did this. i learned that i didn't know anything about anything after just graduating.

heres what i did.
don't be afraid to throw new catalogs out when you realize what types of things your firm does and doesn't use. you will get bombarded with plenty of stuff that you don't really need to deal with.
don't let any reps waste your time if you are busy and they want to chit chat for 15 minutes.
don't let them get at your catalogs, you bring them the catalog and then they can update it. and never leave them alone with the arch library. they can sabotage their competiter's material.

Feb 7, 05 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
CJarch

just make sure everything is up to date.
you can also use it as an opportunity to learn about materials and products you're interested in, but your firm might not necesarilly use.
order stuff you think is cool, and if your boss likes it, even better for you.

Feb 7, 05 4:02 pm  · 
 · 
instrumentOFaction

This task has fallen to me in several firms over the years. If this isn't your sole task in the office, just spend about 15 minutes a week on maintenance. keep it tidy, keep it up to date, keep it interesting and like Strawbeary said, keep the reps moving and don't let them monopolize your time. they have their own unique sense of drama within the industry and the free coffee cups aren't worth some bond they think they gain by sucking up. make it clear that you don't spec the products but are perfectly willing to make the information available to those people in the office who do. Don't be afraid to tell a rep that your office doesn't do work where their product is applicable...or that you just don't want their information. be up front, it will save you time and space in the library later.

one of the worst things you can do to get put on your boss' s@#$list is to pass off a rep to them and waste their time. these reps can smell fear and try to get at the decision makers. You are there as a filter. keep the info updated and try to make a point to look into current architectural publications for new products. i think most of them have sections dedicated to that end in every issue. order a binder and if they say they want to charge you for product data push hard to get it free. Samples of certain materials are another issue, but not product data, installation details or photos of installations. some reps have to buy their printed materials/samples from the parent company so they may ask for the old stuff or take it back once they stop carrying that specific product line. ask who the new rep is or contact the company directly in that event.

if you notice that your firm uses certain materials/processes often, look into getting that information as up to date as possible. get to know these reps well. they can and will go to bat for you in securing materials for mockups later, samples, or any detail you might need from the manufacturer. keep a CAD library up to date with new details from these manufacturers.

good luck. you can and will learn a lot from this task if you do it right.

Feb 7, 05 5:40 pm  · 
 · 
Gotan

And sometimes reps are hot chicks too!

One rep for a natural stones company was looking like a sibling of Monica Beluci...me and one collegue we were betting who's is gonna be the first to pull off an all ''natural stone'' project.

Feb 7, 05 6:21 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

i remember a lot of reps telling me how they went to archtiecture school and then something happened and now they are sales reps. you can learn what can happen to your very valuable architectural education if you observe this.

Feb 7, 05 6:26 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: