Archinect
anchor

Atlanta firm to work with

S I T E

Need to find a firm within metro Atlanta. No doubt, a firm treating employees well and being progressive is always what I need as an intern arch.

Any idea about that? Thanks a lot!

Enjoy the super bowl!

Feb 5, 05 8:07 pm
kissy_face

I just asked the same question a couple of weeks ago. So a search and it should come up.

Feb 5, 05 10:03 pm  · 
 · 
S I T E

Thanks a bunch!

Anyone has experience in HOK, Portman, or Cooper Carry there?

Feb 7, 05 2:05 am  · 
 · 
batiment

may be worth checking into lord aeck sargent. [http://www.lordaecksargent.com] they do interesting enough work and have just merged with brock green who have done some interesting urban renewal projects and been published a few times lately.

Feb 7, 05 8:10 pm  · 
 · 
londonsam

You might try Smallwood Reynolds Stewart Stewart they used to always be in need of people when i was there. I don't really know about progrssive and good at treating emplyees but they're pretty normal for that size firm.
I knew someone who worked at HOK's Atl office and they said it was hell, but that was some time ago.

Feb 8, 05 9:16 am  · 
 · 
kakacabeza

I know Stanley Beaman and Sears has been looking for people, and they do great work.

www.sbs-architecture.com

HOK, Smallwood, Cooper Carry are all hell to work for.

Feb 8, 05 9:35 am  · 
 · 
modo

What firm isn't hell to work for. Its relative. I've been working for close to 20 years at a variety of firms and I find the best firms are the hardest to work for. The most pasionate leaders demand the most from their employees.

The simple question is large firm vs small firm. Large projects vs small projects. Not which one is the easest to work for.

Atlanta doesn't have very many great design firms. There's a lot of talent here but it will be awhile before the younger people take over. And its inevitable. Atlanta is too nice a place to live. If you have a talent you will get job offeres in this town. Negotiate a good salary and thats where you should work. When you get tired of it, go to another firm until you find the best fit.

Feb 8, 05 9:47 am  · 
 · 
kakacabeza

Those are just the kind of things that I've heard from people who've worked there, but I agree modo, all firms are hell to work for. And you don't have to go to all the cool firms if you have big design aspirations, Mack and Merrill worked at Heery, a somewhat banal corporate firm for years before starting up their high design firm. Their experience there probably helped ground them somewhat, allowing them to be successful with their own firm.

Feb 8, 05 11:33 am  · 
 · 
boourns

Nobody mentioned TVS, although a little bit corporate, really progressive in international work right now. Leaders in convention center market, does hospitality, institutional, retail... no residential, yet. Great place for intern experience.

Feb 8, 05 6:28 pm  · 
 · 
Museschild

In school I was a big fan of Merrill Elam, [& Mack Scogin]. Not sure at all what she's doing now, but a few years back she had some great stuff...google it.

Feb 8, 05 6:35 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: