Archinect
anchor

Traditional bullnose plaster returns

threshold

Does anyone have a source or a detail they could share regarding case-less, bullnose plaster returns at interior doors?

Think traditional southwest USA or Spanish architecture where the plaster edge is proud of the frame and basically wraps back into the door frame with a good size ¼ bullnose return.

I have already been through the library here at our office and done a Google search but I have not found a detail or the accessory trim I would need.

Thanks in advance,

Dave R.

Feb 4, 05 11:06 am
3ifs

www.fryreglet.com

click on reveals and moldings. there are stock bullnosed drywall corners, as well as plaster trims. i guess the question is, are you using real plaster or a veneer over gwb?

Feb 4, 05 11:34 am  · 
 · 
threshold

Wall finish is not decided yet - but probably a veneer plaster over board.

I'm really questioning the detail once you cut a jamb section throught it. It looks to me like the door frames all need to be custom and extra thick to receive the returns for not only the wall surface but the base (in this case 3/4" stone). It also apprears that the walls need to be at least 2x6 for the return not to look cartoonish.

Has anyone ever detailed this before?

Feb 4, 05 11:57 am  · 
 · 
pia555

I have done this detail many times. We have alot of old stone structures in my area that have this detail. So there times we replicate it. We do it in modern materials with modern contruction. Because wer're trying to duplicate what is an all stone wall that has the plaster applied in some cases directly to the stone it can be complicated and expensive. A few years back we would create a plywood rib system with the desired radius that would have exp. metal lath applied to it then the layers of plaster. Basically plaster right up to the window jamb or doorframe. In recent years we've hire a subcontractor to create in shop "FRP" or fiber reinforced plaster from a mould. Which get attached to a much simpler framing setup. This method is much quicker and cleaner. Once complete it looks exactly like the 1800's jambs. I've have seen a similar jamb detail on interior doors in 5 inch thick walls of houses built in the 1920's. So to do this detail in any thickness of wall is possible

Feb 5, 05 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

did you talk to plasterer? what did he say?

Feb 5, 05 3:27 pm  · 
 · 
threshold

Thanks for the responces. After working on several connection/detail solutions I came to the conclusion this detail is going to be expensive to carry throught out house at every interior door. There are several stock 3/4" bullnose corners out there but the additional blocking required at the return, 2x6(or x8) wall (for the feeling of thickness) and the custom door frame to receive both the plaster and 3/4" base just get expensive and fussy.

Besides, I don't want to show up a year after it is built and discover the kids have blown out all the corners by crashing thier toys into them...

- Dave R.

Feb 7, 05 10:15 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: