Archinect
anchor

Working in the UK

Minimal Animal

How easy or difficult is it to work in UK / Europe with an education and work experience from the United States..?

Someone told me that a masters degree from the US is not recignized in the UK ?

any people out there who've crossed the big pond to work in Europe ?

Feb 3, 05 4:48 pm
spiderdad

hi minimal...

its not very difficult to work in europe with us education/work experiece... it feels like more and more people are doing this... it takes a bit of effort to find work, sort out the visa, etc. but it will be worth it in the long run.

you education isnt recognised for license to practice as an architect, but generally firms dont care as you probably wont be signing for projects.

there have been a couple of topics of this before, with lots of good advice -- try to search the discussion board...

Feb 4, 05 12:36 pm  · 
 · 
cric

Working in UK seems attractive!

So,the process are as followings?

01. i might fly over to UK for an interview,
02. come back to US and wait for their Offer
03. ask for the working Visa document?
04. I move to UK

is it right?
How long does it take to get the Working visa and so on?
Processing might takes time.

If I want to save some money(flight ticket, and hotel),
Can I just move to UK with Travel Visa, have interview
and wait for visa there, then process it in UK as well?

Is it illegal you think?

Feb 5, 05 10:42 am  · 
 · 
gringodms50

OK,.
How can anyone from anywhere not specifically The U.S. find a job in the UK. ( a good firm so that he can move out there)..
are there any websites or i don't know ways for foreigners to find work in the UK.
THx

Feb 5, 05 10:56 am  · 
 · 
spiderdad

thats all we need-- more paranahs in the tank...
just kidding guys,

from what i understand you'll need to visit for an interview and return to the US to sort out visa... process can be time consuming, but again it'll well be worth it...

if you're a recent graduate, it's easier to get "work experience visas"..

check out www.ciee.org or consult your nearest british consulate...

Feb 6, 05 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
ARCHITKD

Ho about working for a big company that has an office in the uk then ask for a transfer after three years or so?

You might have to still do the visa thing, but it sounds like the best way to me.

I also have plans of going to the uk in about five years form now.

Feb 6, 05 5:13 pm  · 
 · 
Minimal Animal

thanks for all the responses..

I was thinking of moving there more on a permanent basis...
The visa's not an issue for me...I just want to know if the American Masters degree in Architecture counts for anything in Europe..

Feb 7, 05 11:51 am  · 
 · 
spiderdad

as far as professional licensing goes, your masters degree will not be anything until you get it validated through the ARB... www.arb.org.uk ... a costly process of interviewing with a panel with your portfolio of work... difficult but doable... there was somebody here complaining about screwed over by them- search for it in the discussion board.

Feb 7, 05 12:13 pm  · 
 · 
Archi-F

If you're female than you have an even greater chance right now... check out the following URL:
http://www.bdonline.co.uk/hybrid.asp?typeCode=204&subTypeCode=12737&pubcode=60

For the 50/50 Campaign.

Feb 7, 05 9:22 pm  · 
 · 
naya

I m confused about this.. I really want to know if an applicant of the HSMP is allowed to go through the exams required for the registration at ARB or RIBA..

And what are other rights given to the HSMP holder? whether it is good for an architect to enter UK for 2 years on HSMP!!!

HSMP : highly skilled migrant programme... The highly skilled bachelors are allowerd to enter UK on this scheme for two years first and then three years as an extension.

you can see the details on the web: www.workingintheuk.gov.uk

But they don't have the details abt the questions i have on the website...

So people in practice in the uk please help.

Jan 25, 07 12:52 pm  · 
 · 
kakacabeza

I believe there is a new law that if you are already licensed in a US jurisdiction, and have been practicing for at least seven years after that, you can get a british license. And I don't think the seven years has to be done in the US. So if long term you need a license, having your US license already will help circumvent the education requirements. Of course, in seven years, the laws may change again...

Jan 25, 07 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
I love archinect

TAX in the UK is a BITCH!

Jan 25, 07 3:59 pm  · 
 · 
I love archinect

TAX in the UK is a BITCH!

Jan 25, 07 3:59 pm  · 
 · 
BOTS

kakacabeza - that's a new one on me.

My understanding for reciprocal agreements on professional qualifications is that we reciprocate the bureaucratic nonsense the US gives the anyone in the UK who wishes to work over there.

spiderdad - talks the reality of the situation

Jan 25, 07 4:49 pm  · 
 · 

yeh i think that pretty much sums it up bots.

for those interested it takes a month or two to get your work permit, cuz they are required to place adds in european papers then interview and document same, showing that you are the only candidate with skills required...sounds daunting, but not such big deal. even my old 6 man firm was able to do it...they did incur a cost for lawyer though, i think around 2000 pounds or so.

one thing to be careful of, minimal animal, is whether you have a bachelor in architecture as well. if not then you will not get part II recognition. they require (i think) 6 years architecture education, and won't recognise a transfer from philosophy undergrad as someone with a professional degree...meaning you will have to go back to school to get part II, then do a few courses and case study for part III (which is done while working in office).

and i think i just read that fees have gone up for people applying for recognition...

luck

Jan 25, 07 9:23 pm  · 
 · 
naya

what do you guys think about Indian license as an architect, with the degree of b.arch (5 years)?

Are you allowed to go through the exams you required for the registration?

Do you get a proper job as an architect without arb or riba license, with having 1 year and 4 months of indian experience?

Jan 26, 07 9:10 am  · 
 · 
BOTS

without arb licence you will be able work in practice (with a work visa) however you won't be raking in the good money for your toubles like us locals.

Many practices like this effect as you increase their profit margins.

Jan 26, 07 10:01 am  · 
 · 
BOTS

In my office of about 30 staff, 5 foreigners are working below the UK rate because they are not recognised by the ARB and so cannot call themselves architects. Its ironic that the pound is so strong that this still seems like a good deal for them when you action the currency conversion to their local currency.

Jan 26, 07 10:06 am  · 
 · 
naya

Thanks for this.

Do you have any idea how much they are paid monthly?

Jan 26, 07 12:47 pm  · 
 · 
naya

Thanks for this.

Do you have any idea how much they are paid monthly?

Jan 28, 07 12:36 am  · 
 · 
ferd

i just tried to see if i was eligible for the HSMP and found that once you convert your north american wages to british pounds you lose a great deal of points.

despite being 28 and having a masters of arch, i am still not eligible due to the strength of the pound vs the candian dollar.

does anybody have any thoughts on this? are there better ways to get a work permit or i am i at the mercy of an office that will sponsor me.

i think it would be a bit strange to have to ask for sponsorship before even being offered a job.

merci
ferd

Jan 28, 07 1:01 pm  · 
 · 

i don't think is so uncommon to go to interview and talk about sponsorship. i always brought it up at interview and not before. it was an issue with one place, a chance to exploit in another (some people will take advantage of anything), and not a big deal with the rest...

you can get the work permit through one office then transfer it to another fairly easy if you decide to move (or at least thart was the case not too long ago; best to check).

so yeah, go to london get a job, get a work permit, and start from there.

Jan 28, 07 7:23 pm  · 
 · 
ferd

jump, you're always a huge help. i mentioned a while back that i would like to contact you off the forum...... are you still fine with that?

thanks.
ferd

Jan 28, 07 7:28 pm  · 
 · 

I'm in the same situation, just 5 points shy of an HSMP. Fortunately, I'm not urgently pursuing this, so my take is just to wait until I make enough $$$ to put me over the top. I check on the points once a year, so once I tip over to my 75 points, I'll probably consider this much more seriously.

Jan 28, 07 7:51 pm  · 
 · 

no worries ferd, but like i said before, i think i have said most all that i know already...

funny about that hsmp thing. i had never thought of trying it, but once i finish phd looks like i actually qualify. don't know why, but i find it quite ironic...;-)

Jan 28, 07 10:10 pm  · 
 · 
BOTS

naya - hard to say as it's very vular for a Brit to discuss ones finances (£25k for Jonny Foreigner)

Jan 29, 07 4:05 am  · 
 · 
naya

BOTS, thanks for this, it will help.

Jan 29, 07 8:36 am  · 
 · 
neema

hello guys..iam an architect with degree of B.ARCH (5 years-india). i just passed out last year and got a work experience for 6 months till now...

can any one please let me know abt the the scope for getting a job as an architect in UK or a job for experience.
PLZZZZ

Feb 12, 07 9:32 am  · 
 · 

neema..."you passed out last year", you really should take it easy instead of looking for a job in london.

Feb 13, 07 3:56 am  · 
 · 
ferd

good one p2an

Feb 13, 07 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
neema

hmm....i have got work permit in uk.
i have got 6 month experience working in U.A.E. Now iam lookin for a job in U.K.
I just want to know whether i can get into some firm to get an experience.

Feb 17, 07 4:02 pm  · 
 · 
moratto

I am thinking about getting my Master's in the UK. Then all the big firms could not say no. Do an average number of Brits find it easy to get a job in the EU? Italy would be might nice right now.

Feb 17, 07 10:20 pm  · 
 · 
cj w.

what do they consider foreigners who work in the uk? i mean, if not architects, what 'title' is used? is it designers? do 'architectural assistant' positions also include non- ARB licensed architects who are foreigners?

also, what is the overall office feel with regards to foreigners and locals in the same workplace?

does a Master degree in the UK enable one to be able to have the chance to be registered in the UK, even if from a foreign land?

Feb 18, 07 10:48 am  · 
 · 
BOTS

They (foreigners) use the title of architect in-house. However there does seem to be a financial glass ceiling without the full qualification. I mean why pay two people the same if one is 'legally' qualified, on the ARB Register (to be afforded all legal requirements and support).

Architectural assistant is whatever you make the position as it is not to my knowledge a protected title. The kudos of being an unregistered Architect in the UK and known as an Architectural assistant may be hard for the ego. However without meeting the requirements of the register then it remains to be proved whether the required standard can be met. If it can then there is everything to gain by going through the process.

I can count my team current team with one of each Welsh, English, Kiwi, Oz, Irish. It can only be a good thing as those English can be a bit much if there are too many of them!

"does a Master degree in the UK enable one to be able to have the chance to be registered in the UK, even if from a foreign land?" - Yes, but that chance will need to be evaluated with other material.

Feb 21, 07 6:58 pm  · 
 · 
pettydesign

bringin back an old post......

but for those searching....

I am currently waiting out my work permit to be processed. I am an American with a US 5 year B.Arch Degree that was able to get a position at a London firm for Arch Assistant Part II. I had to be over there for interviews, but was living there anyways as I was doing a semester at the AA. but currently I am back stateside waiting for the whole process to be done. I interviewed in Mid April, signed the contract in late april... the attorney hired by the firm said I shoudl recieve my work permit 1st of july and then have to get a new visa on top of that and be in the UK by mid-July. so ..... expect some "engineering difficulties".

brits are slow at everything.

Jun 18, 08 4:54 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: