Archinect
anchor

interviews...portfolio vs. CD sets

toro powdercoat

is it better to walk into an interview with a single portfolio containing small samples of lots of projects, or to bring multiple CD sets of separate projects?

on the one hand, it is easier to have a manageable, formatted portfolio, but many drawings, details, etc. tend to be left out due to space constraints. on the other hand, it seems a bit awkward to have two or three half-size/11x17 CD sets of separate projects, but these tend to convey more information of the projects.

what to do?

Feb 2, 05 6:32 pm
Taesung

It depends on what type of position you are vying for. If it's a project management position, I would focus more towards the cd sets. If it's a design position, more on portfolio, specifically on project sketches you did (YOU DID) during the design phase of projects you worked on. Btw, if you bring cd sets to the table and you claim to be the project manager for it....make sure your name is on the cover stating that you are the project manager. Some interviews I've done people have claimed that they were the project manager for so and so project, and when you look at the name for it...well it sure ain't them :). Also, having your name on it gives credibility, and don't fake it cause I tend to follow up with calls to their prior firms to see if the info adds up.

Feb 2, 05 9:08 pm  · 
 · 
toro powdercoat

thanks. do you think these suggestions are applicable at both large and small firms? The reason i ask is that at larger firms, obviously the distinction is pretty clear for the most part in terms of job description, but at smaller firms, project design and management usually are handled by the same person. in that case, what are the proper materials to bring to an interview, cd sets, portfolio, or both?

Feb 3, 05 6:03 am  · 
 · 
A

I'm intrigued. What I've always done is bring in sketches of the schematic design, then photos of the completed work. Maybe a coupld sheets from the CD set. Why bring in an entire set?

Also, typically the project manager gets his/her name on the cover sheet set of CD's but the project architect initials most all of the drawings. Do you check to see who did the drawings or do you check to see what big shot in the firm got his name on the cover? More or less how I've seen it is that name on the cover is more for insurance purposes and when the calls come in they go to the people who actually know the project and did the drawings - ie. project architects.

Feb 3, 05 9:01 am  · 
 · 
larslarson

i bring a portfolio and two or three cd sets...
i go through the portfolio initially...which has some small samples
of cd drawings and the like...and then i go through a set or two
if they're interested...showing specific pages that i drew/designed.

a-i think a reason to bring the entire set is to explain the project...
as far as initials go..everywhere i've worked i had the option of
putting my initials on the drawings...and usually the project team
is put on the front cover...or just the firm's name.

Feb 3, 05 9:25 am  · 
 · 
Taesung

The reason why is that you want to sell yourself as credible as possible. It's the surest guarantee of getting the position/pay that you want, and sets the tone for the kind of work that you do.

Feb 3, 05 10:58 am  · 
 · 
J3

Keeping it simple is my advice. I have an 11x17 format portfolio which includes a combination of concepts/design/cd's/pics of excecuted projects. I also have a stock of sheets which I can interchange depending on the type of firm and job I am going after. You should know what type of firm you are interviewing at. Too much design and they may not see your technical skills, too much tech. and not enough design=CAD monkey (not all the time...) Undersell yourself and you will be posting in here how little you make. Oversell yourself without the sh1t to back it up and you will be out of a job.
G luck.

Feb 3, 05 11:11 am  · 
 · 
J3

oh and I forgot...
Unless you have a revolutionary way of composing construction documents, bringing a full set may not be necessary. Most cd's are right out of the std's...everywhere (I've seen a few in my days...from Joe Shmo to Morphosis...etc.) Sure showing a broad scope of a CD set is necessary (Macro to micro) but, Potential employers do not need/want to see cover sheets, door/hardware/finish schedules...select the most interesting complex sheets/details you've worked on and take those.

Feb 3, 05 11:18 am  · 
 · 
Aluminate

When I was an intern I usually brought a book-sized portfolio and a roll of one full set of CDs. I started doing this in part because early on, when I didn't bring the full set, I was sometimes asked to bring one when I came back for a second interview. The set that I chose was one that was mostly hand-drafted and one on which I'd done a majority of the work myself (because this will always be asked.) People seemed to really like that set because of the "drawing hand." But I think a full CAD set would also be helpful. We often have trouble knowing from interns' porfolios whether they would be able to do a complete section (not just a diagramatic/schematic one) and details, whether they've had experience with putting together full sets, whether they even know what goes into a full set.... It isn't that these qualifications are the final deciding factors in whether to hire someone - but it helps to understand how much training they may need and where we can utilize them early on.

Later I changed my portfolio size to be that of a half-size drawing set and included portions of several sets (of varying project types and sizes), along with lots of photos and some (but fewer) schematic sketches, renderings, etc. At this point potential employers also seemed to like to see feasibility studies, master plans, other things that are sometimes best presented as separate books - so I have a portfolio case with some pockets to accomodate those, so as not to be carrying all sorts of separate parts into an interview.

I have a separate portfolio that is what I show to new potential clients. It is book-sized, with a mix of about 75% photos of completed projects, some renderings and photos of models to show them how we work and what we could do on their project, and we also keep in this portfolio case the few magazines in which we've had work published. We do generally take along a half-size set of CDs when first meeting with small (residential) clients because they don't always have a sense of the sequence of the process and what it entails. We would usually not take the CDs for a commercial client.

Feb 3, 05 5:27 pm  · 
 · 
g-love

i would suggest, instead of bringing random sheets, a more complete look at a part of a project (if bigger than a large house): show sketches, models, schematic drawing, cd sheets, and final set. presenting a complete cross section of your thought process from conception to realization, focusing in on an area you think was particularly accomplished, is much more valuable to me than seeing that you can pull together a 300 sheet set. (this is all for an employee interview).

Feb 4, 05 12:00 am  · 
 · 
ramirgeddon

hi, i suggest that you would compile all your work. Put it all together before going for the interview. Our works are indeed reflected in our samples that we present. however, it doesnt mean that we cant be able to make them presentable. In connection to this, CD sets can also be compiled then present them as a big whole that reflects your works.

This would however take alot of time. But if you have to this to get the job then why not. Anyways goodluck to ur endeavor :)

Feb 6, 05 8:58 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: