Archinect
anchor

Design leadership position...

jas

At what point do you guys feel that a person is qualified for this Director of Design position? 5, 10, 20 years out of school? A position is opening up and after 6 years (last year as senior project designer) i'm wondering if its time to make the leap to more of a leadership position...the thing with this position is that its more of a management position then a design position especially in marketing terms. I know that many individuals will be up for this pos. probably many with lots of experience (years) but lacking design abilities. The firm is a small to medium firm and has a firmwide design principal that one would report to...

Jan 26, 05 12:55 pm
3ifs

i have worked in a small (now medium) firm for 7 years since graduation, and i am now in a position where all designs are at least passed over my desk for review. i do most of the designing (master planning, schematic design) in the office.

i would say that if you think you are qualified, then definately go for it. i wouldn't let others' with more 'experience' (years) intimidate you. i don't feel that someone with 20 years of experience is necessarily better qualified than someone with 6.

Jan 26, 05 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
J3

thank you!
Although I love my current job, I have run into this problem. There is a very talented designer who gets all "interesting" projects in the studio. Doesn't matter that you busted your ass to get the project..."he's got 20 years of experience to your 8" great answer right? My response to that was "20 years does not make you a great designer" you can imagine how well this went with my superior...oh and the "star designer" is married to a board member...

Jan 26, 05 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
3ifs

J3, sounds like you are a no-win situation there...

Jan 26, 05 3:02 pm  · 
 · 
J3

High-end design...maybe. I haven't given up yet. like I said everything else is great...some trade-offs. The way I see it, I will try to push my other projects to their limits...try to get away with as much as possible...maybe to try and change the higher ups perception.

Jan 26, 05 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
jas

The other issues aside from experience is the argument of going from within or looking outside for the position...i need to develop a response to that. The only downfall if someone else is bringing better projects into the office...

Jan 26, 05 6:03 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: