Archinect
anchor

Current Job on Resume

mdler

I am unhappy at my current job.I have been at the firm for about 5 months now, and know that it is me, not them.

Question - do I put this firm on my resume when I start to look for new jobs. I have worked at other offices, and dont feel that this firm will add anything to be resume. Leaving it off, however, will give me 5 months of 'unexplainable' time in my employment history.

Also, I really dont wont any potential employers to contact this office.

Any thoughts???

Jan 24, 05 12:20 pm
e

i had a similar experience, but i actually quit that job that i didn't like prior to getting a new job. that shows you how much i hated the job.

when interviewing for a new job, i was very honest with people about my situation. i was able to do this because my work history prior to this sucky ass job was tight and people saw that. we all get shitty jobs from time to time, and i think employers understand that. i would tell people to contact me for references. when that time came, i would also tell them that i don't want them contacting my former shitty employer. i think most will respect that, and if they don't, do you really want to work for them?

Jan 24, 05 12:50 pm  · 
 · 
Sullivan.DJ

I would put it in, only because during the interview they are going to ask you what youre doing now. And it's sort of childish to pretend you didn't work somewhere - just face up to the truth and be honest with your potential employer.

Jan 24, 05 12:50 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

makes sense...thanks

Jan 24, 05 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
aeaa

Any potential employer should not be calling your current employer. Any questions as to why you want a new job or why you are looking to leave your current one should be reserved for an interview. Someone calling your current firm and telling your boss that you are in the job market comes off a bit unethical.

also, mdler, what are you going to tell them you were doing between june 2003 and 5 months ago?? hahaha

go find something that you're happy doing.

Jan 24, 05 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

aeaa,

I was working...sort of

Jan 24, 05 2:28 pm  · 
 · 
weave

i would agree that putting it on is the thing to do. i once had a summer job at a chicken plant. this was by far the worst job i've had, but it tought me a lot and it made for some great stories. i definitely put that on my resume.

i understand that your situation is somewhat different, but i believe that just as much good can be learned from a less-than-perfect situation. chances are that the interviewer has had similar if not worse jobs.

Jan 24, 05 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
weave

and that's 'taught me a lot' not 'tought'

Jan 24, 05 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
Sullivan.DJ

I worked for a year in a half at a subcontractors office, I was extremely embarassed by it. I didnt want to put it on my resume, etc. I realize now, that the job taught me alot more than I realized at the time - and I don't regret it.

Jan 24, 05 2:39 pm  · 
 · 
kakacabeza

put it on there, but if there is anyway to organize your resume differently, so that it doesn't stick out, do that. Some people order there resume based on skills, not chronologically, for whatever that's worth.

Jan 24, 05 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

i think the fact that you're trying to move on within
five months of starting a job will make it obvious to a
possible employer that you are unhappy/disinterested
etc. with your current employer...and may make them
overlook them on your resume...

in the end isn't it all about your work and samples of
that same work?...i've always found employers to scan
my resume but really get into what i've worked on or
done...

Jan 24, 05 2:43 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

put it on because it is definitely easier to find a new job while one has a job. if a potential employer sees a blank spot on your res, that may give them enough reason to pass you by. as stated above we have all had jobs we didnt like and if a better opportunity comes up jump on it baby.good luck to you

Jan 25, 05 11:49 pm  · 
 · 
melivt

you can write the current job in, and then add "please do not contact present employer", though i don't know anyone who would anyway.

Jan 26, 05 1:04 am  · 
 · 
3ifs

i don't think i would add "please do not contact present employer," that would most likely set off an alarm in the potential employers mind... i think that explaining your situation in an interview is the best way to handle it.

Jan 26, 05 1:00 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: