Archinect
anchor

What's good in Seattle?

jckii

Aside from Rem's library, what suggestions have we for cool stuff (built form and otherwise) to see in Seattle? I have three days to play, this coming weekend...

Jan 10, 05 10:00 pm
djaffe

Day1

1 st. ignatius chapel - steven holl
2 capitol hill library - cutler
3 that loft building in cap hill - miller skull
4 that architectural wonder at the corner of Roy and Broadway - by some unnamed firm...you all know what i'm talkin about.
5 pick up chris at the dayighting lab and go to Linda's

Day 2
1 the Henry Art Museam
2 Gas Works park
3 the new library under construction in ballard.
4 Pick up dave and go to the PI for the best Fish and Chips you've ever had.

Day3
1 the justice center and city hall downtown.
2 THE library
3 pike place
4 suyama's office/gallery in belltown
walk around belltown...catch a show at the croc.
5 that Gehry thing after your good and drunk from the croc.

Jan 10, 05 10:33 pm  · 
 · 
melivt

what about some of the cutler-anderson stuff?

Jan 10, 05 11:45 pm  · 
 · 
e

i love the pi. just 3 blocks from my house. best fish n chips in town. breaded not battered. while looking at that gerhy piece of fucking shit, take a look at the brutalist concrete box that the electric company owns near by. can't miss it. gorgeous. suyama's office is nice too. if they have an exhibit up, extra nice.

Jan 11, 05 1:55 am  · 
 · 
psychotropism

if it wasnt so friggin cold, i'd tell you to check out the arboretum on the north side of capital hill.

there is a house by place architects on the west side of fremont (anyone know the address?).

The fisher pavilion (near the space needle) is an awesome concept for an urban building within a park.

The pike street market is of course a good way to see how an independent market can, through guidlines for tenants and diversity, sustain and compete against megacorporations.

Some old ones: There is a cool old native-american-inspired building at discovery park, and the weyer-hauser building (which had the gall to dam a river into a pond) is down south a bit, but unfortunately unavailable for tours. it won an AIA 25-year awards recently.

downtown tacoma is interesting to look at, it has a much more industrial feel thatn seattle, and is home to the new art museum by predock and glass museum by erickson. they are worth seeing if you have a car to go down there.

let us know what you saw!

Jan 11, 05 2:49 am  · 
 · 
setsquareboy

DICK'S

Jan 11, 05 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
e

ah yes, how could we forget dicks.

Jan 11, 05 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
e

in the bellvue art museum still closed? i think so. it's another holl project.

Jan 11, 05 12:52 pm  · 
 · 
djaffe

yeah, it will be the future home of the bellvue kincade gallery

Jan 11, 05 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
e

jaffe, i noticed you went to UMD. when? i graduated in 93.

Jan 11, 05 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
setsquareboy

dick's was the only thing interesting. oh, wait, they have a potery barn!

Jan 11, 05 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
e

i would try gasworks at night. the first time i experienced it, it was 1a and was back lit by the city lights. it looked just like a charles sheeler painting.

Jan 11, 05 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
isnen

oh great, I am so happy for this discussion, I raised the discussion about seattle compare to boston a few week ago. I am also going to visit seattle this weekend. may be I will find the answer of this comparison...

Jan 11, 05 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
e

some sights of death for you >> kurt cobain's old house and the grave sites of bruce lee and his son.

Jan 11, 05 4:38 pm  · 
 · 
kaf

any Taco Time....the peak of modern architecture.

Jan 11, 05 5:26 pm  · 
 · 
e

if you like beer you can visit many of the local brew pubs. most noted >>

maritime >> the jolly roger tavern
bigtime brewery
elysian
elysian II >> tangletown
elliott bay brewing

all brew their own tasty suds.

also bottleworks is a store that sells over 850 different beers. their selections range in alcohol content from 4.5%-20%. mmm, beer.

Jan 11, 05 7:23 pm  · 
 · 
jckii

You all ROCK! Thanks so much for all the suggestions - I'll have to extend my stay by at least a month to fit it all in. Or just go back another time.

I'm really looking forward to this trip - more than just a fun weekend vacation, it's actually also a bit of an initial investigation into this city as a possible place to move to one day. So more feedback on what people think of actually living and working there, would also be very welcome.

Anyways watch this space next week for a report-back...thanks again.

Jan 11, 05 9:45 pm  · 
 · 
djaffe

E,

I was there in 97. who did you have?

Jan 12, 05 5:46 pm  · 
 · 
e

drost, schlesinger, du puy, bennett, weiss, kelly, and bell. the first 3 were my thesis advisors.

Jan 12, 05 5:57 pm  · 
 · 
Devil Dog

okay. i need to know more about this PI y'all been talking about. where is it? i'm in portland and make a couple trips up there a year.

also agree on the beer locations. try redhook, hales ales, pike brewery and doc watsons for the neighborhood.

don't forget the troll.

Jan 12, 05 6:01 pm  · 
 · 
surface

Restaurants: Crave, Matt's at the Market, Flying Fish, or if you're vegan Bamboo Garden!

Bars: I don't know. My friends kept bringing me to Kincoras, Lindas, and the Cha Cha. Don't go there for the alcohol. It's alllll grrooooossssssss.

Stores: Why bother.

Jan 12, 05 6:05 pm  · 
 · 
e

devil, the pi is a divey bar at 35th and stone way in south wallingford. be prepared to smell like the food when you leave as the grill is not separate from the bar.

hales and pike are some other good ops. red hook has sold out to bud. since then the quality of their beer is not that great, and they no longer exist in seattle anymore. i believe doc watson's is a chain.

the troll >>

Jan 12, 05 6:09 pm  · 
 · 
Devil Dog

PHUCK! i didn't know redhook sold out. i liked their phinney street location, though thought their interiors were a little over the top. doc is a chain (mcnenimens's). the beer is only okay, the food a little over priced, but hte neighborhood, especially in summer time is great to sit and chill outside for a while.

is it called the "pi" or is that short for something.

also check out the pioneer square area. there used to be a joint cover for bars in that area. tons of live music if that's your bag. some good, some not. plenty for all tastes though.

thanks for the info.

Jan 12, 05 6:17 pm  · 
 · 
instrumentOFaction

Also...about the Fisher Pavilion in Seattle Center, make sure you take a look at it FROM the space needle. The upper plaza is visible (unless covered by some type of fair and lots of people) and each tile on its surface represents a pixel from a photograph. Its a great detail by Miller/Hull. From the plaza elevation, the order seems random by color or perhaps you get a hint that one tile relates to another, but from the space needle's observation deck, you see that the plaza is one photograph of water droplets hitting a puddle. great stuff.

for other Miller Hull work in the surrounding area, visit Bainbridge Island City Hall, its located just behind the main shopping street at the very end. The ferry ride to/from Bainbridge Island is also good one for a view of the city and the coastline...beautiful at sunrise or sunset. Also be sure to check out 1310 East Union just east of downtown near Seattle University (Holl's Chapel is a few blocks away). 1310 is another fantastic Miller Hull Project.

Also, be sure to look for projects by Olsen Sundberg Kundig Allen, including the Wright Exhibition Space on Dexter Avenue North near the Queen Anne District and the Frye Art Museum. They also did the Tacoma Art Museum.

enjoy your trip, jckii.

Jan 12, 05 6:17 pm  · 
 · 
instrumentOFaction

oh, and if you're in the Belltown Area...be sure to do lunch or dinner at Noodle Ranch, its on 2nd Ave btwn bell and blanchard...great cheap thai noodles...i must have eaten there 3 times a week!

Jan 12, 05 6:25 pm  · 
 · 
e

devil, the pi stands for the pacific inn. i have some friends who will be opening a bar right across the street from the old redhook called brouwer's. brouwer is flemish for brewer. they will start with 40 beers on tap [be up to 64 in 2 years] and 200 in bottles without the usual crappy suspects. they will serve belgian cusine too. they should be open in a month. essential bakery will take over the old redhook and make chocolates there.

Jan 12, 05 6:31 pm  · 
 · 
e

the henry art musuem's james turrel sky space is pretty cool >>

Jan 12, 05 6:34 pm  · 
 · 
Devil Dog

e,

sweet info. and thanks for the heads up on the henry, too. i will be visiting your friends bar rest assured. but. . . don't know when i'll make it up there. right now, i'm planning a trip in may to see the red sox at safeco.

Jan 12, 05 6:58 pm  · 
 · 
djaffe

E,
it sounds like you had quite the crew...I had frank as a studio crit and thought he was great. I always liked Carl, but never had him for studio. The rest I know from juries and just hanging around. It was such a small community. Although Drost I never knew, he was the crazy german right? I heard he got thrown out the year before I got there for being too radical. Oh well, They could use a little shaking up once in a while IMHO.

Jan 12, 05 10:26 pm  · 
 · 
e

small community indeed. drost and schlesinger were a riot in my thesis reviews. the theorist pitted against the pragmatist. drost was crazy. while in school, i did many competitions with him outside of school. great learning experience and a very much needed counterpoint to the cornell outpost at maryland. he did get thrown out but not because he wanted to do things differently. funny that his name lives on at the school. i guess that's what happens in small towns. everyone knows, or think they know, your business.

Jan 14, 05 11:37 am  · 
 · 
David Brent

Mustn't forget Ezell's.

The best fried chicken around, jusk ask Oprah.

Jan 14, 05 11:09 pm  · 
 · 
crillywazzy

not just bruce lee's grave, but at the edge of chinatown, just about under the highway, you can find what used to be his first kung fu studio.

Jan 15, 05 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
RqTecT

the pier

Jan 22, 05 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
psychotropism

let's keep this discussion going... I'd like to discover more places that y'all are interested in seeing in seattle:

the frye art gallery is cool.

the 2 union plaza is the best urban plaza in seattle, and is very functional and comfortable for those of us who work downtown. it has a very nice mix of retail and covered spaces for the rainy season.

you used to be able to check out the original 'soundgarden' where the band got their name, but it was shut down due to environmental regulations. too bad. have to sneak in.

Also, if you are going to be in belltown, check out where the new olympic scuplture garden is going to be... by wies/manfredi of ny. if/when it gets finished, its gonna be awesome.

if you want japanese gardens, the kubota gardens in south seattle is really cool. check the interenet for hours.

the young architects forum (including myself) just re-did the aia office downtown (by the pike street market at 1911 1st) although I'm biased, I think its cool.

harbor steps is an interesting project as conceptual. It is really the only high end residential project near the business core that I know of. The schematic was done by arthur erickson. (from what I heard, he chose to leave) then callison did part of it and i'm forgetting who did the other towers. anyway, every architect that worked on the project lost money, but it looks and functions pretty well, especially as a social space. They have concerts every friday in the summer on the steps. Does anyone in this discussion live there?

Jan 23, 05 2:56 pm  · 
 · 
o+

..just up the harbor steps is venturi's SAM (seattle art museum) with the big hammering man sculpture (note how similar this museum is to his national gallery)....and don't know if it's still there but right at the top of the steps across from the museum was the 'lucky lady?' peep show establishment...pefect.

Jan 23, 05 4:39 pm  · 
 · 
e

the hamming man is cool, but venturi's museum is a joke.

Jan 23, 05 6:17 pm  · 
 · 
Matthew Peterworth

hey all! i am starting to collect archtecture must-see's in each city for a website. so, whatever city you're from or been to, please email me [[email protected]] with places to go see.

Feb 5, 05 3:55 pm  · 
 · 
David Brent

jckii,
Did you make the trip?
How was it?

Feb 12, 05 5:38 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: