Archinect
anchor

The Woodlands strip mall

infernocp

I was driving up from Houston to Dallas yesterday when I drove through a city named "The Woodlands" along highway 45. Has anyone ever been there???? They have a strip mall that faces the highway, on the facade of which they have tried to include every type of architecture ever known. Greek, Roman, Islamic, Gothic.... you name it, and all done horribly. I've never wanted to vomit just from looking at a building before, but I came close yesterday. I was just wondering if anyone else has witnessed this skidmark on the underpants of society.

Jan 9, 05 11:58 am
sahar

I have seen it, it is hilarious. Houston is a strip mall city. If you haven't been there, you should drive on Almeda to another shopping center plaza. It contains one of the 'Best' stores. It is quite cool. I am sorry I can't be more specific about the directions. I stumbled on it when I got really lost coming back to Houston, when they shut down all these exits into downtown.

Jan 10, 05 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
MiesvanderRice

Yes! The woodlands strip mall is the shit. Where else can you go to all the famous landmarks of the world. The palace of the Doge in venice, the alhambra, the temple of nike, all while still getting your shopping done at old navy and the gap! Who wouldn't like that???

Jan 15, 05 5:54 pm  · 
 · 
ross

I've driven that route several times also. It is pretty ridiculous/hilarious. The worst was when a friend from the area in the car with me, decided I had to see it because she knew I was into architecture.

her: isn't that awesome? is that the kind of stuff you want to do someday?

me: (biting lip, resisting laughter, staring at the monstorsity) ...sorry, what were you saying?

Jan 19, 05 7:38 pm  · 
 · 
joe entrada

strip malls rule. grocery store, dry cleaner, blockbuster, starbucks. all within driving distance or your suburban home. It gets no sweeter my friends.

Jan 19, 05 11:28 pm  · 
 · 
RqTecT

never hear of it.

Jan 22, 05 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
3ifs

sounds like New Jersey!

Jan 26, 05 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
post-neorealcrapismist

there is nothing as beautiful as a strip mall on the shores of an ashpalt ocean

Jan 26, 05 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
duke19_98

yup, been there. Its a real gem. I have to hold back my vomit as I drive by there as well. Like ross said most of the non arch crowd seem to "like" it. However I feel it has more to do with it being different than anything else. I mean its got a lot of "style." pun intended.

Jan 26, 05 1:08 pm  · 
 · 
duke19_98

speaking of strange things in TEXAS. Has anyone been to the full scale mock up of stonehenge in Kerville Tx.

link

Jan 26, 05 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
post-neorealcrapismist

everything is bigger in texas

Jan 26, 05 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
Museschild

can we get a picture of this from a local? i have the funny feeling a friend of mine did an interior fit out in this strip... at least he didn't have anything to do with the exterior.

Jan 26, 05 4:00 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: