Archinect
anchor

Who's your best client?

freq_arch

For those of you who deal with clients in your capacity as architects, who have you found has been your best client, and why?
Please don't be too specific (as if anyone would).
What I'm interested in is what type of client makes for a profitable office - deep pockets? loyalty over several projects? commitment to quality design? Is it an institutional, commercial or other type of client?
Are standing orders still used with positive effects?

My own experience - we've had a standing offer with an institutional client for some time, and, while fairly consistent, the work is pretty uninspiring (bread and butter stuff). The best clients in my mind are ones who have found their own niche in the industry, and repay quality services with loyalty.

Jan 4, 05 3:54 pm
mpsyp

I am my own best client... doesn't pay the bills, though.

Jan 4, 05 4:53 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

The one who's check arrives first each month!

Jan 4, 05 5:28 pm  · 
 · 
ferplexion

"loyalty over several projects" is perhaps the most important barometer for success. I read somewhere that in most successful firms, over 50% of the work is repeat business. Of course, this may mean that many "successful" firms are turning out a lot of cookie-cutter projects for the same developers over and over.

Jan 4, 05 7:37 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

there is nothing wrong with selling out

Jan 4, 05 9:14 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

There are different types of best clients. Few things they have in common are, that they respect and appreciate your work, honest about who they are, realistic about their expectations and budget, constructive during the process, and they pay you when they are billed.
Needless to say, they get the best out of you.

Jan 4, 05 9:31 pm  · 
 · 
threshold

The best clients are the ones who understand and respect you as an artist.

I have seen that when you have that kind or relationship every other aspect of the project falls into place.

Jan 4, 05 10:37 pm  · 
 · 
greasyfur

land-use attorney. Three variances in two weeks.

Jan 4, 05 11:31 pm  · 
 · 
Dazed and Confused

The best clients come from God. Thank you God.

Jan 4, 05 11:35 pm  · 
 · 
jlxarchitect

"The best clients come from God. Thank you God."

That is the funnies sentence I heard these past two weeks.

Thank you, Dazed and Confused, you are not confused indeed.

Jan 6, 05 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
mm

A municipality in exurban New York that is surprisingly progressive in terms of planning and design matters. (And they pay their bills when invoiced.)

Jan 6, 05 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
A

A friend of mine wrote off their retail clients as "a means to an end" as they pump out prototype designs. And we wonder why there is no design in architecture.

The best clients I've worked with are loyal to us as a firm (done all their work for the past 20 years), and consider our designs with an open mind. No two buildings being the same, although similar program. They trust us with our expertise and are happy with the services we provide. They never tell us how to design or what building they want copied.

Jan 6, 05 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

I had a client that had dated an architect years ago. She understood what design is and thought of architects as artists, and even commented on how little we get paid. I was speechless. Needless to say, she was great to design for and work with. The space I designed for her turned out great and she gets lots of compliments.

Jan 6, 05 3:02 pm  · 
 · 
valsperia

the ones in my board room....gorgeous..yum yum yum italian men !!

Jan 6, 05 4:01 pm  · 
 · 
instrumentOFaction

It used to be the Catholic Church. Nice people to work with, projects with a built-in desire for good-looking design, and at one time, money to spend. Then the well dried up when the sex scandal broke. Now we have no clients. The post 9-11 church boom has gone bust. Also, we compete with these types of firms for Protestant church business...take a look if you need a good 'shudder'....

http://www.mcknightgroup.com/
http://www.buildinggodsway.com/BGW/bgw.htm

Jan 6, 05 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
mpsyp

*shudder*

When I got to Preliminary Design 15 on the Building God's Way website, I exclaimed by accident, out loud, "The Church of Lowe's!"

Marc

Jan 6, 05 5:29 pm  · 
 · 
Yippee!

shudder.
what a burden it is to carry.. when you know how bad those church designs are.

Jan 6, 05 5:38 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

I don't know the web site but I came across a totally similar firm a year ago out of the prairies in Canada whose work is almost identical and all they did was churches. Same bad work and detailling. very very scary.

Jan 6, 05 8:23 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

TORTURE! in the name of GOD, NO!

Jan 6, 05 9:49 pm  · 
 · 
e909
TORTURE! in the name of GOD, NO!

ever-curious inquisitioning minds want to know.

Feb 8, 05 1:32 am  · 
 · 
mwad

The best clients are the ones whose expectations are in line with their budget. Doesn't matter the scale, as long as they are in line with each other.

Feb 8, 05 9:34 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

e909 - I was refering to the links of the church designs above when i exclaimed TORTURE!

Feb 8, 05 10:17 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: