Archinect
anchor

Kinetic Architecture - Examples and Thoughts

Hey folks,

I'll be taking a studio next quarter exploring kinetic architecture so I'm trying to soak up all I can on the subject. I've seen a lot of large moving doors/windows such as Olson Kundig's Chicken Point Cabin, which is awesome, but it gets after seeing so many reproductions it gets a bit boring. So my questions:

Have you got any examples of innovative kinetic architecture? Seen anything that struck you as truly unique and effective?

Who are the leaders in this type of architecture?

And what are your thoughts on kinetic architecture? Revolutionary? Kitsch? Innovative? Whatever? Let's get philosophical with this shenanigans. 

AF

(Photos: Olson Kundig, Chicken Point Cabin; Thomas Heatherwick, Rolling Bridge; Theo Jansen, Strandbeest)

Mar 11, 15 11:10 pm
x-jla

wyly theater

Mar 26, 15 11:50 pm  · 
 · 
chessterfish

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSOTeYjBwWM

Mar 27, 15 4:27 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Sports Bars - By LTL

Mar 27, 15 8:47 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

You are a couple of hundred years late. In many parts of Europe there are windmills that were used to pump water, grind corn, and even function as sawmills. Many have been converted to homes and many more restored for their historical significance. They are found in Germany, France, Spain, and of course, Holland. Sometimes the top portion where the blades are attached rotates, in other designs pretty much the whole structure rotates.

Mar 27, 15 12:47 pm  · 
 · 

The Cheesegrater Skyscraper and Zaha's Vienna Library.

Mar 27, 15 3:39 pm  · 
 · 
CD.Arch
Hogwarts school of witchcraft and wizardry.
Mar 27, 15 3:50 pm  · 
 · 

@beta, loving that sports bar! appears as if it was never built?

Also that house in Iran is very nice. Wonder how easy/quick the turning mechanism(s) are? Can't tell if it uses rails, gears or is automated or not? Get the impression it is more of a seasonal change?

Apr 4, 15 8:59 pm  · 
 · 

Ah thanks guys, this is wonderful! Great input

Apr 5, 15 8:23 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: