Archinect
anchor

Why are you 'excited' by boredom?

setsquareboy

Off topic question, but here goes:

Why does the average American flock to boring sports like football (yawn!) and baseball (double yawn!!), when exciting sports such as hockey and basketball are declining in numbers? Not to mention, that you totally turn a cold shoulder to soccer!

Hockey should be primo in the States, as it embodies everything you believe in: violence, intimidation and a general worldly speed. Even basketball, with its flamboyant, cocky and selfish attitude, seems more in tune with the American couch potato. Yet you watch a sport where the average competitor barely breaks a sweat, and another that is so slow that John Madden can follow.

Dec 22, 04 10:54 am
spaghetti

its marketing plus lack of connection:: americans do not have a connection to hometown teams in the sports of soccer and hockey, where baseball and football, everyone seems to have "their team".

In europe, everyone has their soccer team, but lack of baseball, etc. Canada has their hockey. I dont think its excitement but connection to the sports. For whatever reason, hockey and soccer were not taken up here. at least inmy opinion.. im sure there are other reasons as well.

Dec 22, 04 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

acheese...

i completely disagree...original six cities in the u.s. are fiercely
loyal to their teams...and even some mls teams.. i know in boston
where i lived for the past seven years that the bruins and revolution
had a large following...jeremy jacobs, the pats and the sox stole
some of that following, but it's still there...and the revolution for
being as bad as they are has a good group of loyal fans...foxborough
has always been a good venue for soccer of any kind...

Dec 22, 04 12:40 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

ok i don't completely disagree...only partially disagree.

Dec 22, 04 12:41 pm  · 
 · 
melivt

mls sucks. soccer will never take off here like the rest of the world. too much money invested in football, baseball and basketball. but fussball rules. i miss it. and the atmosphere was unbelievably better than any sporting event i have ever attended in the states. hail hail scf!!

Dec 22, 04 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

meliasonvt...
i know mls isn't comparable...most of that due to the money
and limited numbers of foreign players...but american soccer
is getting respectable...and more and more players are going
to europe to play..once attitudes against players from the u.s.
changes in places such as england there will be even more...

and as far as the atmosphere goes...i'm fairly certain you've
never been to a game at ohio state or penn state or michigan
or notre dame...college football is where it's at...but if you didn't
grow up with it you won't love it the same way...although i'd love
to see chelsea v. barcelona in person as well...

Dec 22, 04 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

although if you go to vtech you should have seen some good games...
who knows...

Dec 22, 04 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
A

I wasn't aware that basketball was declining in popularity. If so it might stem from the same problems the NHL has had with too rapid of growth. Growing up it seemed I could hardly keep up with what city was getting another NHL team. Secondly, hockey, a notable cold weather sport was putting teams in the sunbelt states. They got greedy and are paying the price. Here in MN getting NHL hockey tickets is the hardest professional seat to obtain, moreso than the NFL. Why? Because people here love hockey. They play it growing up. It's part of the culture. Do you think there are hometown players in Phoenix? LA? Tampa?

Don't forget though that the biggest spectator sport is NASCAR. Now that is one hell of a yawn. And we have wrestling, our modern version of the roman gladiator. You can do a lot worse than football and baseball.

Dec 22, 04 1:49 pm  · 
 · 
Heywood Djabloughme

this thread doesn't excite me and it's nearly as boring as the school rankings thread.

Dec 22, 04 3:07 pm  · 
 · 
setsquareboy

i know...i regret posing the question. sorry.

Dec 22, 04 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
e

heywood, why don't you offer up some exciting threads instead of just critiquing. be part of the solution.

Dec 22, 04 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
e

clever name too.

Dec 22, 04 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
Dazed and Confused

Wayne Gretzky and Michael Jorden - as to why the claustrophobic sports are in decline.

As for soccer, Americans would have to give out more foreign aid to be interested in it - no way that will happen - it's why they invented football and baseball in the first place.

Thank god they are not crazy about cycling. Talk about boring spectator sports . . .

Ultimate and Guts should be olympic!

Dec 22, 04 4:31 pm  · 
 · 
setsquareboy

quick...name 4 cincinnati bengals.

nuff said.

Dec 22, 04 4:36 pm  · 
 · 
gustav

How about golf?
Spend all day nit picken' drawings and dimensions. Now go to the links and practice dropping a small ball into a small hole from 150 yards away or better yet watch other people do that. Yea, I like boredom and frustration (snicker, snicker with hand over mouth turn around and throw arms up in the air).

Dec 22, 04 4:40 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

baseball rocks, you naysayers are naying about things you dont understand... yes i know this thread is 3 years old, but you all get my scorn...

scorn

Apr 12, 07 5:21 pm  · 
 · 
Dapper Napper

Football is my religion. That is all.

Apr 12, 07 6:13 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

yeah lletdownl...these guys don't know wtf they're talking about!!

bee-yotches!

Apr 12, 07 6:25 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

because the Boredoms are not boring.

Apr 12, 07 6:28 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

America should give up on american football and baseball, and take up rugby and cricket.

Checkers
American Football
Baseball

Chess
Rugby
Cricket

Apr 12, 07 6:32 pm  · 
 · 
i.g.lu.s.

I love hockey.... Live.... I cant watch it on tv. But it is definitely one of the best sports to watch live. Maybe because hockey is so hard to watch on tv, people dont think its cool to watch live...
obviously, most sports are much much better live...

Apr 12, 07 6:35 pm  · 
 · 

Cycling is boring?!? Track racing is super intense as is the Paris-Roubaix race (which is this weekend and I'm super excited for).

Its just a matter of what you're interested it.

Apr 12, 07 7:23 pm  · 
 · 
broccolijet

lacrosse should be america's sport...

1) it originated in north america
2) it's nonstop action
3) there's lots of scoring
4) there's a lot of violence

reasons it will never be...

1) it's almost too fast...you can't follow the fucking ball on tv
2) people associate it with spoiled white preppies
3) few people know the rules

disclaimer: i love football and baseball. will never understand nascar. i'm dying to figure out cricket.

Apr 12, 07 8:04 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

all the misery of man stems from his inability to sit quietly in his room...

Apr 12, 07 8:22 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

cricket

Apr 12, 07 8:25 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

speed walking is the future of sport.

Apr 12, 07 8:28 pm  · 
 · 
upside

dragged my new housemate, a interior designer from south carolina, down to watch her first game of aussie rules last weekend, i dont think she had a clue what was going on but luckily drinking beer and watching people hit eachother seems to cross national boundarys.

also:

rugby, the game they play in heaven.

Apr 12, 07 8:53 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: