Archinect
anchor

FLW leaded glass designs

go do it

Does anyone know if FLW was inspired by the patterns in ice for his leaded glass designs?

Frozen bubble

Dec 14, 14 6:12 am
Wilma Buttfit

I thought the inspiration was largely plants, wheat in those pics. 

Dec 14, 14 7:47 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

the ice has some nice patterns though.

Dec 14, 14 8:43 am  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

summac.....

Dec 15, 14 2:31 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

"eye music"

Dec 15, 14 2:31 pm  · 
 · 

according to FLW Trust, the sources "range from the Froebel gifts of his childhood, to Louis Sullivan’s flat ornamentation, to the designs of the Vienna Secession...touched by the autumnal dashes of his color palette".

Dec 17, 14 9:10 pm  · 
 · 
go do it

Thanks Nam Henderson

After looking at some of Sullivan's ornamentation on this  site it seems as though FLW was very inspired by Sullivan's designs. Door at St. Nicholas Hotel   Grill at Chicago Stock Exchange   Kick Plate at St. Nicholas Hotel  St. Nick Skylight   St. Nick Window #1  St. Nick Window #2  FLW was working with Sullivan at the time of the St. Nicholas Hotel construction so I wonder how many of these designs came from Louis or Frank. If they came from Louis Sullivan now we need to find his inspiration.

Here are some textile designs from the Vienna Secession movement. And here is an interior picture of the Austrian Postal Savings Bank by Otto Wagner . I see some FLW in the floor design and in the textiles. It is amazing where inspiration comes from. 

The Savings Bank is interesting in that it is designed around a Basilica footprint with a nave and aisles. Was this his intention or influence? 

Dec 18, 14 1:37 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: