Archinect
anchor

been working for a while, what do I show in my portfolio?

jbirl

Been with the same firm for 7 years, since I was "inschool". Have an opportunity to move to another firm. So I am putting my portfolio together. I have made half-ass attempts in the past, but now is go time for this thing.

The firm I am with now does traditional/vernacular residential and institutional. The potential firm does mod residential.

So far I have been thinking of one 14x17 format portfolio with:
-nice shots of completed projects I am proud of
-interesting projects/ sketches that would create good conversation
-later school stuff (thesis and 2-3 other projects)
-I have chosen to stick with pictures and no text, since I will be talking thru it.

I have sent sample sheets w/ my resume, so there is an idea of my work...

Now, anyone have any thoughts on what to do with "other stuff"? How much to bring? I want to show I can put a CD set together, so I have some redused 11x17 sets. Want to show I can hand draft (this place is switching to CAD), so I have sets of that kind of work too (again, reduced).

Have some sketches of designs I thought were good but were shelved for other designs (usually more conservative ones).

Where do I stop? I don't want to have to use a dolly, although I was thinking of rolling the stuff in in my son's Thomas the Train bookbag with the collapsable handle. Just so they would know I am a serious....family man....

Any thoughts?
Any serial interviewees out there?
Any interviewers?

Dec 10, 04 10:35 pm
abracadabra

be careful of not showing too much stuff. stop..
don't be so fancy or "unique" with packaging. simple but good quality portfolio book should do. definetly less projects. it is better to put few good projects than everything you've ever done. pictures supported with some plans or other drawings would be complete. if you must you can include one of your best project from school. for someone who worked for seven years, too many student projects would be like living in the past. keep it to 30 pages or so.
i've never put together a serious portfolio, but have interviewed some people for residential work. definetly illustrate in your portfolio that you understand and can put a set of cd's for a house. if you have a complete set of drawings for a house that you were responsible for, roll it up and take it with you.
you should be focused to show your work thru few projects rather than going all over the place.
it is about what can you do for them and what position you are applying for.
few personal sketches would not hurt as long as they show your draftsmanship. chances are they are not looking for a design guru but somebody who is efficient, talented and responsible/reliable.
good luck and search other threads in archinect for similar subject which has been disscussed many times. good luck.

Dec 10, 04 11:05 pm  · 
 · 
jbirl

thanks.
i made it sound like I was bringing the kitchen sink.
i will tone it down a bit. not at 30 pages....yet.
the school stuff shows a different type of work, but I will edit.
from your comments however, I am on the right track.

thanks again.

Dec 10, 04 11:14 pm  · 
 · 
rayray

tewenty pages is plenty - don't waste cash/time shooting stuff down, bring
the original or set..
after several years you'll have a lot a valuable experience - that's what you should be talking about - not the aesthetics of the project. just mention
how excited you are about the opportunity to apply your skills to their work
aesthetic.

brush up on your consultants names from the projects - have an interesting
story/antidote to tell - talk about client contact and office responsibility....

all this while being confident about the work that your showing - and remember to have good questions prepared about their work - go with
less than thirty for sure - unless every image is killer.

best

Dec 11, 04 7:47 am  · 
 · 
mdler

everything, show everything...twice

Dec 13, 04 8:56 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: