Archinect
anchor

The importance of networking

citizen

After having dinner with a few friend-colleagues last night, I woke this morning to an email from one of them involving a possible teaching gig.  I realized that every part-time job I've gotten since being laid off 3 years ago has come via someone I already knew.  I then thought back over my entire work history and realized that, with one or two exceptions, every job I've ever landed originated with a personal contact in one way or another.

Of course, I've also applied for many jobs cold, too, and would happily accept one if it came through.  But most of those application gauntlets I've run haven't gotten me that far.

So, there's a moral here for those of us still seeking employment.  Keep checking the job postings, and keep sending out resumes and portfolios.  But don't forget to have coffee with new acquaintances, lunch with former mentors, and dinner with old friends.  Go to lectures, gallery openings, city planning workshops, neighborhood meetings, and local AIA events (for those of you who hate this group, tough; hold your nose and go anyway).  And at all of these, talk to people, get business cards, and give yours away.  You just might find your next job that way.

Jun 26, 11 8:49 pm

yep.

Jun 26, 11 10:17 pm  · 
 · 
rodgerT

In otherwords ADVERTISE. 

Jun 26, 11 11:47 pm  · 
 · 

All of my work has come from relationships too.  ALL of it.  SO as citizen says, always make time to connect with people.  And bring business cards.

Jun 27, 11 12:16 am  · 
 · 
TaliesinAGG

Although I'm employed full time, after re-connecting with a friend, I landed 2 residential remodel gigs that I am moonlighting on....yep, you never know who can finance your next meal.

Jun 27, 11 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
jmanganelli

since '05 i've always had a little stream of side work, all from relationships that were formed for reasons other than trying to drum up work --- now i'm interested in growing it and taking another step and have to figure out how to make that happen

Jun 27, 11 10:26 pm  · 
 · 

just to re-state what donna (and jmang) said: it's all relationships. networking is a byproduct - it's connecting people. relationships have to be built on trust. clients have to trust you, on some fundamental level. relationships (in all forms) build that trust.

Jun 27, 11 10:29 pm  · 
 · 

Yeah, to reiterate what Gregory said about networking as a byproduct: it's not intentionally networking so much as it's connecting with people.  If this sounds opaque, I'll give some examples, because I know in my ProPractice class I toss out "networking" and students really don't know what that means.

I'm a member in a local swimming pool club.  They hold a monthly "Networking Breakfast" that I've never been to because it sounds too hungry.  I go to the pool and get to talking with the other moms as we all watch our kids swim - this leads often to me saying I'm an architect.  I also took on the voluntary position of member of the Facilities Committee, where I've met contractors and engineers, where they've seen me address building issues and now know that I know what I'm talking about when it comes to buildings.  These moms and committee people can now trust me on some level as they know me as a person, not just as someone who goes to networking events.

I also meet tons of people through my son's school, where I volunteer all. the. time.  Again, the people at the school - both the staff/teachers and the other volunteering parents - now know I'm someone who values the same things they value: education, a strong neighborhood, etc.  I also did a Career Fair for the 8th graders and talked about being an architect.

So that stuff is networking that's also just getting to know the people in your community and thus building that community by making connections between people.

Jun 27, 11 10:56 pm  · 
 · 
Ryan002

Damn right. I've *never* gotten a job from a printed or online ad, and only very crap ones from employment agents. All the good jobs I've gotten, like the one now, come from personal contacts.

I've always thought it was just me!

Jun 27, 11 11:02 pm  · 
 · 
jmanganelli

your points are interesting, Greg and Donna, b/c i don't know what the future holds and one of the futures i'm preparing for as i re-emerge from school is having to scrape by on my own, in which case i have some small things that i'm hoping to maybe spin into real work ---- thing is, i've never approached any of these relationships that led to work as anything other than a relationship and helping someone out or appreciating an opportunity given to me, and i completely get what you're saying donna, you don't want to turn it into unabashed "networking", but i guess the rate at which i am building such relationships will not naturally yield enough opportunities to support even a meager career, yet, and as of now this relationship thing is kind of organic and just happens, so i don't want to compromise the integrity of that, but if this is going to be how i make my living, that organic process has to grow an order of magnitude and i'm not sure how to do that without it being needy/cheesy/"networking" ---- any advice greatly appreciated ---- taking your example, should i look for opportunities to get on committees, etc?

Jun 27, 11 11:55 pm  · 
 · 

i would reiterate what donna says.

my partners and i have sort of split things out according to our interests so that we become better known in various circles, but it is a very slow process at least to start with.  One of the partners is in real estate business and knows a lot of bankers and similar people so that is his niche.  I am myself more into academia and do more writing and deal with the magazines and press (not that there is a swarm of it or anything), and another is mr twitter and an expert on planning.  some of it leads to jobs, a lot of it doesnt.   but it is certainly the start of a buzz of sorts, just as donna describes.

we are not embarassed about pointing out that we are looking for work especially with the real estate people. they understand quite well that this business is based on relationships and we all benefit from it.  we keep it pretty casual though.  perhaps that makes it ok.

Jun 28, 11 2:09 am  · 
 · 

jmanganelli, your whole post is excellent.  Yes, it's a slow, slow process to build a network - I'm 6 years in (I moved to town 6 years ago) and I'm even now seeing just the beginnings of enough network to make a practice.  But I moved here to join a partner who had been on his own for 10 years working in the town he grew up in - so he had a solid 30 years of network building behind him.

Which leads to a relevant point for young grads: if you find yourself moving home after school because you need to live at home for awhile or don't have the resources to go elsewhere, dig into that high school network!  It can be difficult because teenagers are so unabashedly self-interested that a lot of us have crappy high school memories, but that nastiness mellows as people age and you may find they aren't as awful now.

Also, your parents' friends are a great resource, despite/because of their tendency to think it's so cute that the little aspiring architect they knew as a kid is all grown up now!

As jump said, I'm also past the point of being embarrassed to say I'm looking for projects.  I tell everyone I love working even on small things - my residential interiors experience helps with that.

So back to your post, jmanganelli: You may have to get a day job and do the little things that come your way on the side until they reach a high enough quantity to go out on your own, which is how my partner started.  Ideally of course that day job would be one that can lead to IDP requirements.

Jun 28, 11 8:10 am  · 
 · 
archie

Donna and others have made some very good points, but they are just exposing the tip of the iceberg.  As an founder of a firm that has grown every single year for the last 15 or so years, even thru the recession, with no marketing, no brochure, and nothing but word of mouth and referrals, believe me, I work every angle.  (need to in order to keep 30+ employees busy!)

- Donna's points about networking every day are excellent.  You meet people everywhere in your day to day life- church, on the bus, with kids events, while playing tennis, whatever you do.  Use those connections!

- ask clients for referrals. If a client likes you and is happy with your work, they will refer you to others, and they will be happy to do so. Sometimes they just are not thinking of it.  Take them to lunch or give them a call every once in while.  Ask them specifically for referrals. For example, if you know they know someone that you want to make a connection with, for example a head of a school board, or a facilities person for the local bank, ask them specifically to make an introduction, even if it is just thru email.  You can find out who they know by 1) chatting with them  2) linked in  (a website)  3) google them and see what boards they are on, etc.

- there are "not so subtle" networking groups out there that are extremely effective. For example, and architect, a contractor, a civil engineer, a commercial leasing person, a cleaning company, a commercial furniture company, a moving company, a banker, etc. meet once a month or every other week for a brief time- a half hour or hour, and just trade leads.  All are interested in the same info, and same group of people. So if the furniture company person hears of something, they share the lead with everyone else.  If there are no groups in your area, set one up!  No cost, great leads, not very much time spent.  This works very well for someone who wants to get leads in a commercial market versus a residential market.

- work those residential clients into referrals for commercial.  Sometimes that person who you meet at the swim club hires you to put an addition on your house. They don't know that you design medical offices too.  Let them know!  I have had residential clients give me leads to projects with $300,000 fees.

- Follow up, for goodness sake. It amazes me how often someone get a lead, and then does nothing with it. Sometimes the person who just follows up gets the job.  Don't expect the person giving you the lead to do all of the work.

- Give back first.  If you go to networking events that business groups like a chamber of commerce sponsor, you can make yourself stand out in one way that will have great payback.  Most people tell the person they meet what they do, and how that person can help them, and give them a card. ie, "Hi, I am John Smith, architect, and I design churches and residential structures, here is my card.".  They then listen to what the other person does, and then the conversation is over.   Instead, ASK questions about the other person, find out specifically what kind of leads they are looking for, take their card, write these notes on it, and then when you get back to your office, within a few days, search your data base for leads for them.  send them the leads via email.  You will be amazed at the result.  All of a sudden, they will reciprocate.  They will remember you.  They will remember you for years.  They will try their best to get you leads.   I got named "marketer of the year" for doing this at a networking group that I participated in for only one year.  People are still calling me 5 years later from that group.  Give before you get.

- say thanks.  I refer small residential projects now to other architects.  It is amazing how some of those architects don't even follow up to let me know if they called the person, or if they got the job.  Some of them do follow up with a handwritten thank you, or send a bottle of wine or a plant.  Guess which ones I refer next time?  Here is an interesting story: years ago, a very busy architect referred a small commercial project to me that he could not work into his schedule.  I sent him  wine basket as a thanks.  A month later, he referred me to another client.  same thing.  This client, over the last 7 years, has given me over $1 million in fees in work!!!  Great return on a $50 gift basket!

Hope that helps.  Starting is the hard part. Once you get a good referral network going, you will be shocked at how easy it is.  99% of our work comes in the door with virtually no work on our part now- it is all reputation, word of mouth, and referrals from clients.  There is one big key, though:   you need to do excellent work.  All the networking in the world will not do a thing if you don't follow through with providing excellent architectural services, in every respect possible.

Jun 28, 11 10:05 am  · 
 · 
postal

all this talk of networking, leads, and referrals makes me feel uncomfortable... i think as a profession or maybe it's just my personality, I have trouble putting myself out there like that.  And I'm not a shy guy, I just feel its a little inappropriate in a lot of instances.  (I don't think its inappropriate, i just feel that way.  Logically I have no problem with all the strategery talk above.)  Is it kind of a natural process, as you gain understanding you feel more comfortable with trading business cards?  i also dislike managing relationships for some reason or expanding my small group of friends.  do you keep lists and try and remember faces?  i forget someones name the second they are introduced to me.  i like all the advice on this thread, keep it going.

Jun 28, 11 10:24 am  · 
 · 
archie

I cannot remember a face or name to save my life.  I remember buildings though!  I use a data base to keep track.  I use the comments section extensively- after I meet someone I put notes in there about where we met, what we talked about, if they mentioned a hobby or have kids etc.   It might sound strange, but people like it.  For example, I go to the dentist where every six months when I see the dental hygienist, she picks up the conversation where we left off- how was the vacation I was going to take, what is new with my kids,etc.  Over the years it has created a friendship and a bond.  I know that she probably jobs down notes in my file when I leave, and looks at them before I walk in the door, but it is nice, and shows she cares!  Think of it as putting the person first, business second.

Jun 28, 11 10:43 am  · 
 · 
jmanganelli

thank you citizen, Gregory, Donna and archie, for the wonderful discussion!

Jun 28, 11 10:48 am  · 
 · 
Paradox

Well take the case of an unemployed recentish graduate with lots of unemployed friends. When she goes out to networking events she meets other unemployed graduates or people who are "interns" *cough* for years looking for an actual paying long term employment. Actually imagine this unemployed graduate ending up not in another state but in another country 10,000 miles away with no acquaintances that will lead to a foot in the door. Since she studied in the US she has no college friends there and that is a country where 90% of the jobs are found via friends/family and connections. Nice challenge right?

Jun 28, 11 11:14 am  · 
 · 
citizen

Wow!  Some really great ideas in here.  Thanks, everyone, for posting.

Jmanganelli:  It's amazing how much help is needed at various civic and service groups.  Hang around ones you think might be interesting or productive for you, and volunteer to help out here and there.  I guarantee you'll be asked to join this or that committee before long.

Paradoxx:  As Donna, Archie and others point out, yes, this is a realm of effort that takes time, and it certainly helps if one already knows some people.  But we all had to start somewhere.  One thing's for sure: choosing NOT to meet people or make connections won't help.

Jun 28, 11 11:38 am  · 
 · 
archie

Oh stop whining. I got a call yesterday from a female architect from India looking for work in the us who was referred to me by a client. She used his name, we chatted, I have her resume, and if we had an opening for someone at her level, I would have interviewed her. The last three hires here (all in the last year) were all referred by someone.   Many of the referrals I get are from people relocated to this area, and they network with the one or two people they know to expand the network.  One guy who I interviewed was a nephew of a friend of my sister in another state. She knew my sister had an architect sibling, etc etc...

Go to events in your city for people from whatever country you are from. Most cities have expat clubs.  Volunteer somewhere, at a museum or some art / architecture related venue.  Go volunteer at whatever version of the AIA that country has.  Go to the colleges and universities and offer to put together a lecture on architecture education in the US.

Think of this as an advantage. You certainly will be remembered if you are the only American architect in XXX country. Leverage your knowledge of green building, or project management, or use of 3D software, or whatever makes you unique.  Find american firms doing work in that country that would want a 'local'. 

Yes, it is a challenge, but so is every client, every project.  You will have lots of challenges in your life. Embrace them. They make it interesting.

Jun 28, 11 11:49 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

paradoxx, the key is to NOT network with other architects. Speaking from experience, the farther I distanced myself from the profession, the more people I met that considered me an authority on all things architectural and want to hire me. (I'm not looking for a job in a firm, but rather testing the waters to see if I can start a firm and the signals I'm getting from my "network" is to go for it.)

Jun 28, 11 11:53 am  · 
 · 
archie

And paradoxx, think about networking back in the USA with people who know people in the country where you are.   I have a daughter living in another country.  A co worker of hers in this other country  put a student of his in touch with my daughter, who put him in touch with me, who put him in touch with a client, who put him in touch with a cousin, and he now has an internship in the US!

Jun 28, 11 12:10 pm  · 
 · 
Purpurina

Most of the jobs that I got in the past were from ads or calls, but one dark side of networking is when the other person just want to be helped and don’t want to help when s/he is in a good position.

Jun 28, 11 1:02 pm  · 
 · 
Purpurina

Very nice archie ;)

Jun 28, 11 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

That's what separates networking from the job search, Purpurina. 

People above are describing a process of relationship-building.  Many of these relationships will never lead to work, and that's fine: relationships are important in their own right.  Some contacts or relationships may be unsatisfying or downright annoying, as you suggest.  And others will lead to opportunities.

Don't throw the baby of opportunity out with the bathwater of occasional disappointment.

Jun 28, 11 2:11 pm  · 
 · 

Networking is all about location, location, location.

Depends on what you have around you and what may or may not be offered. I know of a really bad lawyer's method of networking involves him hanging out at like the only 11 bars in this entire county handing out business cards for DUIs.

Since the Bible Belt somehow burped up a tiny spot down here, the holy rollers make sure no new bars, nightclubs or other alcohol-related adult entertainment gets put in. This generally anger and hatred also applies to anything slightly- to fully liberal in nature, too.

Jun 28, 11 3:25 pm  · 
 · 
l3wis

would anyone care to speculate if the basic dynamics of networking will change during the next generation, with the advent of online social networking, etc? will this tech decrease the value of real, interpersonal contact or will it actually enhance it?

Jun 29, 11 9:59 am  · 
 · 
stone

@ jk3hl: ^ I believe social networking will add an important dimension to networking, but will not significantly reduce the vital important of both voice-to-voice and person-to-person contact.

Jun 29, 11 10:19 am  · 
 · 
quizzical

"the key is to NOT network with other architects" -- amen to that.

Jun 29, 11 10:21 am  · 
 · 
archie

Don't completely cut out other architects  I have received significant leads from other architects, and passed on projects to other architects.  I have also partnered with other architects, acting a local CA administrator for a project, or designing smaller parts of a big giant project.  We have also hired other architects in other cities where we are doing work.   It is ok to network with architects- it is good for the profession- but 80% or more of your networking should be with non architects

Jun 29, 11 10:28 am  · 
 · 
le bossman

Throw some of that networking my way.  My boss just told me he can't afford to pay me tomorrow.  

Jun 29, 11 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
cajunarch

Network with EVERYONE you know, and get to know as many people in your local architectural enviroment as you can - for both employment and new projects, there is no replacement for personal relationships and referrals - our last FOUR projects came from a relationship and did not involve RFP's or competitions

And four of the five people I've hired in the last 12 months came from networking/referral:

Referral from a Family Friend to a staff member - personal networking

Impression from witnessing someone in a professional setting - architectural networking

Neighbor of a staff member - personal networking

Recomendation from an architect friend at another firm - architectural networking

New intern hired from college job fair - right place/right time - no networking : )

Jun 29, 11 2:09 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: