Archinect
anchor

Detroit Train Station

UrbanDesign

If you're from Detroit or are familiar with the area, you are aware of the abandoned buildings littering every street. The most infamous being the Michigan Central Building (train station). This beautiful 40 story (guessing) building has been abandoned for quite some time now and it has, in my mind, become a symbol of Detroit as a whole, sad I know. I was just curious as to what you guys thought should be done with the building and how to renovate Detriot as a whole. What's the problem to begin with? Government? No Business?

Dec 5, 04 12:05 am
Cameron

My partner, Kate Stohr, has written on Detroit alot inc. Corrspondent’s File: Detroit in the Record - August 2004..(probably the broadest article). I would talk to folks over at DCDC too. There are also a couple of 'urban explorers' who would have an interesting take on the place.

Smart Growth

Urban Farming

Dec 5, 04 6:39 am  · 
 · 
Alan Loomis

said train station was recently puchased by the city, and will be renovated as the new police HQ.

Dec 5, 04 5:40 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

hmmm.....welcome to my thesis

Dec 5, 04 8:01 pm  · 
 · 
Tim DeCoster

problem: suburban sprawl and a lack of mixed use buildings. How to fix it? It's not quite as easy as simply reversing the problem. This is the million dollar question of the times.

Dec 5, 04 9:16 pm  · 
 · 
zizi

The building was featured in the opening scene of either Powaqqatsi or Naqoyqatsi... can't remember which.

But responding to UrbanDesign's observation of the 'wealth' of abandon buildings in Detroit, I've heard that the majority of these are actually owned and that their owners are waiting for the 'Renaissance' to happen so they can cash in.

I'm moving back to Detroit in February - (and sorry to add another topic) what are the good offices nowadays? I know Zago left town... I'm looking at the bigger corporate firms because, what with all of my new loans, I can't afford to work to work on the lower end of the scale... Any advice is appreciated!

Dec 5, 04 10:48 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

to say that detroit's plight resides in the effects of suburban sprawl alone are not entirely accurate. people like to romanticize of how the automobile that built the city decimated it as well, but in all honesty, the exodus of the city results from a conglomeration of factors, not the least of which is decades of poor leadership, racial tensions, high crime and poor schools. detroit is a complicated case, and to understand detroit you have to be careful who you listen to. there are far to many people who love to cash in on the automobile-modernity-this-is-where-we-are-all-headed phenomenon. most of detroit's current condition results from its previous leadership, which was highly corrupt and inept. while detroit has had a ludicrous number of ineffective 'renaissances' over the years, the numbers show that this time things are finally turning around, at least in the downtown area. for quantitative information on detroit's progress check out these sites:

www.semcog.org

http://www.cus.wayne.edu/

Dec 5, 04 11:47 pm  · 
 · 
road agent

on the contrary boss
the automobile conjured a psychic allegory of the american freedom dream. indeed the epitomy of detroits rise and fall from urban industrial glory was the working man's getaway vehicle. detroit paved the way for it's own escape to suburbia and beyond. "no boundaries"

just passing through

Feb 4, 05 11:18 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

actually there are boundries in a city -- its called suburbia
and theres a boundry to suburbia --- its called the country
once these planned enviornments colide - its a mess -
as the urban enviornment in nyc moves eastward - nassau county long island which was once recently farms (50yrs ago) and is now a terrible abomination of cars, 18 wheelers, and gas guzzeling SUV's-----not to mention suffolk county (farther east) which is very close to losing most important rural area's (does anyone drink wine???????)

Feb 5, 05 12:08 am  · 
 · 
road agent

it is the perception of a boundless american frontier that keeps the middle masses of suburbia anxiously pacing it's border dreaming of acheiving transcendence in the ambiguous tropes of the american dream catalyzed in america's early expansion campaigns.

Feb 5, 05 10:09 am  · 
 · 
road agent

a great pictorial of detroit fading memories
www.detroityes.com

Feb 5, 05 7:24 pm  · 
 · 
ross

here's a picture of the building from about a 1 1/2 years ago. When you drive by the building, you can literally see right through it due to all the windows being broken out.

Feb 10, 05 10:47 am  · 
 · 
ross

I"m having some trouble posting the picture, can anyone help with some instructions?

I see the required code at the bottom of the screen, just not sure exactly what to do with it.

Feb 10, 05 10:48 am  · 
 · 
road agent

this might work, hope it's not too big
[img]http://www.detroityes.com/webisodes/2003/03where/030607MichCentral800.jpg
[/img]
from detroityes website

Feb 10, 05 5:27 pm  · 
 · 
road agent

if this don't work i give up
[img]http://www.detroityes.com/webisodes/2003/03where/030607MichCentral800.jpg
[/img]

Feb 10, 05 5:29 pm  · 
 · 
ross

I can't figure it out either. If anyone wants to see the picture, let me know your email address.

Feb 10, 05 6:52 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Zizi, the AIA Detroit awards were just featured on the AIA website, here's a link:

Motor City

Some of the work looks quite interesting. This former Detroit resident is glad to see that things are looking optimistic for the city again.

And that train station is indeed awesome.

Feb 11, 05 12:55 pm  · 
 · 
UrbanDesign

The problem is that only 4 out of the 11 awards are for buildings actually in detroit, the rest oare in the suburbs. I'm actualloy a member of the Livonia Recriation Center, it's pretty cool.

Feb 12, 05 11:38 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: