Archinect
anchor

RTKL

mad+dash

Has anyone worked at RTKL in Europe or in the States or know of someone who has?
How has that experience been?

Many thanks.

Nov 28, 04 4:54 pm
Francisco David Boira
J3

works for RTKL in Washington.

Nov 28, 04 7:43 pm  · 
 · 
Jeremy_Grant

I've got a friend who works thereas an architect. He keeps pushing me to come work for RTKL.

Nov 28, 04 9:10 pm  · 
 · 
RqTecT

I know that they would hire and fire alot.
But looks good on resume'

Nov 29, 04 10:28 am  · 
 · 
worm

i have a budddy that works for them in dallas and a buddy that works for them in baltimore...

they both seem to enjoy it. the buddy in baltimore just traveled to seoul, korea and said it was pimp tight...

Nov 29, 04 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
mad+dash

Thanks...I'm looking to have a "different" experience from my last internship. Is it a typical archi-vironment? How's the staff in Spain?

Nov 29, 04 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
mad+dash

wait...seoul was pimp tight or the job...or both?

Nov 29, 04 12:27 pm  · 
 · 
momentum

he had a fun time in seoul, i can't answer about how he likes his job though.

Nov 29, 04 5:57 pm  · 
 · 
herbst

"pimp tight?"

Nov 29, 04 7:35 pm  · 
 · 
anti

I was in Baltimore last year with a land arch firm that often collaborated with RTKL. They have a beautiful office down on the water front and some nice workspaces. The time that I was working with them was not to long after a large work force cut. The size of the frim fluctuates a lot from what i can tell. Most people seemed to like what they were doing.

Nov 30, 04 7:38 am  · 
 · 
J3

thanks for outing me FDB!
really doesn't matter. I have been here for close to a year, and the only people let go (in the current boom) are those who didn't cut the fast pace. Yes, they have hired/fired in the past and sure it will happen in the future, but from what I have seen/heard they have all come at times when either the economy was sour and everyone was firing, or they were just cleaning house to bring in some new blood and keep the firm fresh, which is something I like about this office. the majority of the staff is in the mid 20-mid 30 age bracket. I can answer any specific questions you have...

Nov 30, 04 10:26 am  · 
 · 
J3

The Madrid office is pretty small (16ppl or so). The main European office is in London with 81 ppl. Currently the Madrid office is doing mostly large malls/shopping centers, which many people (including me) don't care for. Overall the architecture is pretty good. The office is in a great part of the city, very upscale. I would love to work there, but there are issues with visas etc, for non-EU employees.
As far as the environment, everyone will have their opinion...my studio is roughly 35 ppl and we are split into 3 pods. There are 2 "VP's" and 2 other senior staff, but for the most part there is a feeling of a school studio. There is quite a bit of collaboration within the studio, and there are allot of happy hours. The dress code is "casual" which means Jeans and T-shirts everyday if you want, and as expected on meeting days/spc. Occasions professional attire is required. Everyone is expected to work hard, but I have rarely seen extreme overtime. In my year, I have done a handful of 60hr weeks (2-3). Being a large company the benefits are pretty good, and there are plenty of opportunities for growth. Having just visited the Miami office, I was surprised at how similar both offices are. From what I hear all of the offices have the same culture/environment.
Everything is not rosy, like any company sm/lg there are politics...etc.

Nov 30, 04 11:58 am  · 
 · 
jlxarchitect

J3:

How is the Chicago branch office?

Dec 6, 04 10:28 am  · 
 · 
J3

There are about 30ppl in that office, and they are doing quite a bit of interiors, ans some healthcare. I will try to ask around...

Dec 6, 04 11:11 am  · 
 · 
ElTomas

any commentary on the dallas office?

Dec 7, 04 1:19 pm  · 
 · 
J3

nope, that I really don't know much about

Dec 7, 04 1:34 pm  · 
 · 
duke19_98

I know several people in the Dallas office. I don't have any real info about it, but those I know seem to like it. I know they have razor scooters in the office. As lame as it is...that's all I know.

Dec 7, 04 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
mastah2878

hi j3, know anything about the los angeles office?

Sep 8, 05 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

the employees there keep pushing their friends to join, since they get a referral bonus.

otherwise they do pretty 'clean' typical corporate work, but they do pay well. a friend who works there put in extra overtime hours almost everyday though

Sep 8, 05 5:58 pm  · 
 · 
db

RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN as fast as you can.

(I really don't mean it this strongly, I just like being able to repeat it as such. But do RUN. They are evil.) oh wait let me again fulfill my fetishistic keyboarding fantasy----

RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN

OK done now

(it's been a lonnnnnnnnng day)

Sep 8, 05 9:13 pm  · 
 · 
J3

Ok...Yes we are a large corporate empire!
Given the above (evil...empire...etc.) Having worked at several firms small to Large, everyone I have come in contact with "tries" to produce the best possible architecture they can. I say "tries" because for those in the "real world", it's common knowledge that finding that client with endless supplies of money that is willing to give the architect complete design freedom is not that easy. However, given the current market, we are constantly rejecting clients...trying to find those clients who will allow us to push the perceived boundary/definition of "corporate architecture" is. Every corp. firm has plenty of projects which they keep quiet...so that their image is not tarnished, but at the end of the day it's a business and you and I have to get paid. Bueno...
I really enjoy working @ RTKL. The culture is very similar to school/studio, dress code is very casual and we tend to have a lot of fun while working. Sure there are deadlines, and we all have to put in the extra hours every once in a while, but in my time here there have only been a handful of weeks where I exceed 40hrs. Certainly not the abuse I have read of on archinect and heard of from friend who work at the other "axis of evil"...SOM, HOK, Gensler...etc.

Employee refferal...Yes, there is a bonus and Yes I have capitalized on it. NO, I have not done this for the $$$...these people are still with RTKL and are doing quite well.

LA: there are aprox. 130+ ppl in the LA office. they work in the following sectors: Retail/Entertainment, Planning, and Healthcare. From what I've heard, the office is very laid back. In addition to this, RTKL has just aquired (yes, I know it sounds bad...and it's just like Walmart) a firm specializing in Sports Entertainment/Stadium design to complement the retail/entertainment sector. The LA office also supports (mostly in design) the Shanghai office which is currently growing very fast (30+ people). Email me for additional info.

Sep 9, 05 3:27 pm  · 
 · 
tinydancer

Has anyone ever interned with them? I am doing an internship next year and was thinking of contacting them in Dallas for one-any advice?

Sep 9, 05 4:17 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: