Archinect
anchor

Sexy Materials

jplourde

Hi All,

I'm looking for sexy sexy images of emergent materials and processes of the following materials:

GRC [Glass Fiber Reinforced Concrete]
Stretched fabric membranes [PTFE, Tenara, PVDF]
Stainless Steel
Anodized Aluminum
Glass Fiber-reinforced Polymer Composites [GFRP]
Other composites - Corian

As this is for a client presentation, I'm more so interested in either built product design [IE cars, planes, boats, etc.] or theoretical projects [1-1 fabrication, not renders]. But NOT precedent images of work by other architects.

It could be images of the fabrication or installation processes or final shots in situ, the only real stipulation is that it should be sexy!

Of course there is Google, but I thought some people might have a few bright ideas or knowledge of projects I haven't considered.

Thanks in advance!

Apr 4, 11 11:26 am
el jeffe

is GFRC emergent? my first arch gofer job was for a run-of-the-mill arch office specializing in silicon valley office buildings in the mid 80's; they used those panels all day long.

Apr 4, 11 12:03 pm  · 
 · 
jplourde

Maybe the material isn't, but perhaps the application fabrication or installation is.

Apr 4, 11 12:05 pm  · 
 · 
jplourde

Maybe the material isn't, but perhaps the application fabrication or installation is.

Apr 4, 11 12:05 pm  · 
 · 
St. George's Fields

You should also look at Thermedia 0.6B and Prégymax 29.5 from Lafarge.

The former is a low-conductivity lightweight concrete replacement. The latter is a composite plasterboard with a built-in foam backing.

Apr 4, 11 12:31 pm  · 
 · 
jplourde

Dobule post, sweet. 'is' = 'should be'*

Thanks, George.

Apr 4, 11 12:33 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Not sure f there's anything sexy about manufacturing of these materials (especially GFRC and GFRP). In fact, I would describe the process as quite de-appetizing.

It's like looking for images of industrial cow slaughter for a presentation on burgers.

Apr 4, 11 12:43 pm  · 
 · 
jplourde

It's for an industrial design company. They're interested in fabrication processes.

Apr 4, 11 12:48 pm  · 
 · 
l0sts0ul

3form

Apr 5, 11 10:20 am  · 
 · 
curt clay

Does anyone know what the name of this material is?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/50582183@N00/6150754074/sizes/l/in/photostream/

Sep 15, 11 2:47 pm  · 
 · 

Is it OK if I indulge in a bit of self promotion?

We are making custom relief surfaces in ceramics, corian, resin, wood, and solid aluminum plates:  http://www.keithcarlsonstudio.com/

Sep 15, 11 6:36 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

gibson,

that stair looks like some kind of ebonized lumber milled to have heartwood and sapwood.

love the look, the handrail kind of annoys me, though.

Sep 16, 11 12:03 am  · 
 · 

Holz... I think it's closer to being black-and-white ibony or possibly even ironwood. But you're right otherwise.

Definitely a fully custom job.

Also, I'd heavily advise you to turn on safe search if you google "black and white ebony" on GIS.

Sep 16, 11 12:43 am  · 
 · 
snook_dude

Wood is always a sexy material....that is if you know the species and how the wood is cut and finished along with the detailing...You just have to find a way to make it "Smoke"

I have been working with some Clear Douglas Fur 1.25" X 6" and I love the stuff.  It is sealed with a citrus, bees wax  sealant.....and it smokes.  It runs about  $4.50 a running foot.

Sep 16, 11 7:14 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

the 1.25 x 4 runs about a $1.35 a foot....so when economy is a factor...you can almost get the same look in a narrower  board.

Sep 16, 11 7:20 pm  · 
 · 

Just about any material can be "sexy" if used the right way.

Sep 17, 11 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
ether

http://www.materialicious.com/

Sep 19, 11 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

"Just about any material can be "sexy" if used the right way."

work it baby, work it .... make it sexy .... its not what you got it how you use it!

Sep 20, 11 8:15 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

my vote is for "pleather" - wait - what is this thread about again?

Sep 20, 11 11:14 pm  · 
 · 

Pleather used to be called naugahyde, and it wasn't sexy then, either.

Sep 21, 11 7:00 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: