Archinect
anchor

Firms, Locations, Countries: Where to look for work abroad.

are you Swick?

I'm hoping to move abroad after my Masters. Where are some good places, good work and what are some quality firms in Europe/Asia?

Is it best to shuffle through American firms with foreign offices? Or hope to find a native firm with a broad reach? What is the likelyhood of english being used in either scenario.

As always, first-hand accounts/advice is much appreciated.

Mar 17, 11 1:28 pm
insertcatchyID

Swick,

If you're up for it, India is the place to be. Language is not a problem (everyone speaks English). The govt. is pushing development like crazy. I've heard they're planning 50 new cities along the Delhi-Bombay corridor. And the money is very good. As an Indian in the USA, even I'm tempted to return, but can't because of personal reasons.

The standard of living is not the best, but its getting better.You might need some time for cultural adjustment but you'll be surprised how 'American' (for lack of a better word) Indians in the big cities are. The quality of work is good if you aim for reputable firms. If you can find a US firm with an office in India that would be ideal.

Hope this helps.

Mar 18, 11 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

If you do decide to go to India, be prepared to poop yourself to death.

Mar 18, 11 2:39 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Rusty, its better than starving yourself to death, not being able to afford food on that unemployment check.

Mar 18, 11 4:29 pm  · 
 · 
LOOP!

Moving to Australia has been the best decision I've ever made. Great work, pay, lifestyle, clients. Much better average quality of design than in the US. Happy to share more if you shoot me an email.

Insertcatchy, I'm really intrigued by India and looking forward to finally visiting next December. Would love to live in Mumbai/Bombay. Have heard so many good things.

Mar 20, 11 6:00 am  · 
 · 
slop

intotheloop, I take it you're moving from the States? where in Australia have you moved to, Sydney, Melbourne? Im planning a trip over there to check out the job industry, I hear its hardly affected by recession... sounds like the promised land

Mar 20, 11 7:24 pm  · 
 · 
Sipushka89

Do you think I could find job abroad if I graduate from the AA in London? I'm not a US resident and not a European Union resident- that could be a problem, cause my potential boss will have a headache doing my working visa.

Mar 20, 11 8:36 pm  · 
 · 
slop

Sipushka89, I have thought about the US, my understanding is that you have a one year period after graduation in which you can work under a student visa. The trouble will be finding a job i think.

Mar 20, 11 8:45 pm  · 
 · 
induct

I second australia. Glad I am here (Sydney)

Mar 20, 11 9:03 pm  · 
 · 
Sipushka89

slop, yeh I know I can only stay one year after graduation in Us on OPT status, but as far as I know architecture is on those STEM list of sciences, which gives one an opportuniry to stay 19 months more!
As for the UK - from this year there are no more post-study visas! Which means - when I graduate, for example, I'll have to leave the country during a month unless I find a job, which will wish to make me a working visa...
OMG, it's so complicated to choose and I'll have to do the chose of my life in 1-2 months...

Mar 21, 11 10:29 am  · 
 · 
LOOP!

Slop, saw your portfolio and I'm assuming you're a Kiwi? Seems like Australia is your best bet if you want to leave New Zed. You can work freely here in a booming market, rather than struggle to get a business visa in the US or UK. I would stay away from the US, and especially the UK, if at all possible, but I suppose everyone's situation and goals are different. I'm in Melbourne and things are really busy. Do you know anyone here? There are a lot of folks from Uni of Auckland.

If you can swing it, it makes sense to go where your skills are needed and in demand. There are thousands and thousands of talented designers in the US & UK looking for work in those countries, while there are a shortage of skilled designers in much of the rest of the world.

Mar 22, 11 7:00 am  · 
 · 
slop

intotheloop, g'day, yea Im from NZ. I know in my mind that what you say makes sense and that Aus is really the best option in terms of practicality and ease of transition. Yea I have some friends in Sydney who I could probably hit up. I guess I thought things would fall into place and I'd just land a job in the US with a graduate visa. - yea bit of a dream.

Anywho I booked tickets to Sydney about a month ago and will be going over there soon. Who knows, I may love it. After reading your post I am more optimistic about life and work in Aus, thanks!

Mar 22, 11 5:40 pm  · 
 · 
fullofit

I just found this thread, wish I'd seen it when I graduated a year ago, makes australia sound like the place to be. I was wondering everything was still going well there, and if so, how you would begin looking for a job there. I'm from the US and have no connections, so I'm off to a rough start. 

May 31, 12 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

yup, move to India if you want to get paid $700/month, be behind in technology in every aspect

May 31, 12 8:55 pm  · 
 · 
junior

i lived and worked in bangalore, india and practically lived like a king on my $800 a month! going back in a few weeks!

Jun 1, 12 7:43 am  · 
 · 
Tim Williams

For almost two years I've been living in Hong Kong. I came here with a foreign company and now switched to a local firm (but it took me 6 months to find a local firm that would hire me). Most firms here are looking for Mandarin speakers to work on projects in mainland china. 

But, I would look into getting work in Beijing or Shanghai.

Jun 12, 12 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

I got a job offer in SE Asia through linkedin. For cultural reasons, I didn't accept it. Other than a head hunter, its the only way I've been able to find overseas jobs.

I do know two friends who had an opportunity take them overseas through their US company. So that's another way to get there.

Jun 12, 12 1:59 pm  · 
 · 

where in the web do you find architecture jobs in Australia?

Jun 13, 12 8:34 pm  · 
 · 
LOOP!

^ check out seek.com.au and mycareer.com.au. Things are slower in Mel and Bris now but Sydney is picking up. Unless you've got something really unique to offer, you'll have to move down here first and look for work.

Jun 14, 12 9:55 am  · 
 · 
CultureofCon

I've heard that if you want to work anywhere but the states, you should learn Archicad instead of Revit.  I looked at some job posts on the Australian websites mentioned above and it looks like a lot of them require knowledge of Archicad.  Can anyone offer some insight into the Revit vs. Archicad status outside of the US?

Jun 14, 12 11:24 am  · 
 · 
CultureofCon

Just saw this... apparently archdaily is thinking the same thing:

http://www.archdaily.com/243925/the-9-best-countries-for-architects-to-find-work/

Jun 14, 12 12:55 pm  · 
 · 

What? No mention of Spanic?  Quitaly? Or Fixit?

They all sound über-hip to me, yo!

Jun 14, 12 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
LOOP!

? Australia is Revit crazy. You must have just "seeked" on an off day.

Jun 14, 12 9:46 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: