Archinect
anchor

Architectural Sites in Paris

KG3434

I will be in Paris over Thanksgiving.

Besides the usual tourist places (ie, louve, e.tower, etc.) what other architectural sites would be on the list of must sees?

Nov 18, 04 1:10 pm

These probably are among the 'usual' but you should go to Corb's Salvation Army and the Centre Pompidou. Auguste Perret's apartment building at Rue Franklin (remember from arch history?).

Take the train to Poissy for the Villa Savoye. Make sure it's open first. I didn't. It wasn't.

Nov 18, 04 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
wangsta

Pompidou, of course

GO IN the Arab Institute by Nouvel, simply amazing!

Maison de Verre if you can line up a tour (pretty impossible on this short notice)

Walk through La Defense, some cool stuff, the chapel there is pretty cool

do the Nortre Dame thing and the Arch de Triumph (cool view from top)

just outside of Paris is the School of Arch. by Tschumi

-there's so much more, but a week isn't enough

Nov 18, 04 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
e

steven, i had the same problem with the villa savoye.

any of the train stations are amazing structures as well as the nervi/prouve CNIT building. it is altered, but the structure and window wall are amazing. prouve did the window wall and nervi did the structure. the structure rests on 3 point and spans 900ft ish. i can't remember how far the span is but it is great.

more corb to see >> maison la roche/jenneret and maison cook

Nov 18, 04 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
weave

i think there was a previous thread about this...

but yeah, you could spend years in paris and not see everything.

Nov 18, 04 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
rutger

parc la vilette. by Tschumi

Nov 18, 04 5:00 pm  · 
 · 
wangsta

kind of a depressing Turkey day event, but the Catacombs are dope

Nov 18, 04 5:24 pm  · 
 · 
interstitial

Check out the Publicis Drug Store by Michele Saee

http://www.europaconcorsi.com/db/pub/scheda.php?id=1021

Nov 19, 04 5:27 pm  · 
 · 
zandarooz

i was also going to say check out Publicis drugstore and nearby Cafe Nescafe on Avenue Wagram by Saee...

also check out Herzog and de Meuron apartment on Rue des Suisses in the 14th, and Corb's two buildings, the Brazil and Swiss pavillions at the Cite Universitaire, also in the 14th. very worth seeing....you can get a tour of the rooms inside for a couple euro i think...

Nov 19, 04 7:35 pm  · 
 · 
sewage

How does one get to Ronchamp from Paris?

Jan 11, 05 12:04 am  · 
 · 
French

Have you checked that:
http://www.chapellederonchamp.com/
?

Jan 11, 05 4:45 am  · 
 · 
French

sorry
www.chapellederonchamp.com/

Jan 11, 05 4:46 am  · 
 · 
French

I hadn't seen this thread before, but don't forget to check the construction of the musée des arts premiers by Nouvel, on Quai Branly, close to the eiffel tower. Impressive stuff.

Jan 11, 05 4:48 am  · 
 · 
bigness

park citroen
pompidou
hey, la villette!!!

cross the river around the louvre area, or just north of the pompidou and walk around the alleyways. architecture always looks betters in pictures, the real city you have to see to understan!

enjoy!

Jan 11, 05 6:34 am  · 
 · 
aparisianguy

hi there !
Want to go to Ronchamp?
Ronchamp is a 3 to 4 hours drive from Paris. Gather some friends with an interest in architecture, driver's license (a car...), a good map, and hit the highway towards Metz/Nancy... no further indication since getting lost around there is quite nice, actually...

I guess another option would be to take a train to Besançon. There's probably a bus going to Ronchamp from there...

Easiest would be to go to the Parisian tourism office on av. de l'Opéra to check all the different options.

if you're lucky enough to find a car, my advice: take a couple of days to see what's around. Start with Basel (Swiss border), less architecturally interested people will be gratefull. It's quite a nice romantic destination that will soften whoever you're with before Vitra (German border), which only your most faithfull non architect friends will survive.

Both are around an hour's drive from Ronchamp. Corbu->Gothic Basel+H&dM->FoG+Hadid+Ando... an express architecture pilgimage, for the hardcore architectural sightseer!

Jan 11, 05 6:49 am  · 
 · 

Thought I start this post up again, since I'll be visiting Paris in July. Are there any new contemporary architecture that's worth visiting other than those mentioned? ie. something like the Publicis Drugstore by Michael Saee.

May 25, 05 9:06 pm  · 
 · 
French

You should check the recent projects from Ibos et Vitar. Haven't had time to visit them myself, but the pics look pretty cool.. eventhough their "maison des enfants" received a lot of criticism here.

May 25, 05 9:49 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: