Archinect
anchor

Forum Renovation Thread

x-jla

Well played jerk^  lol

Jul 27, 14 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
Menona

I think a great renovation to the forum would be to allow users to go back and edit their own posts.  Nothing worse than hitting post comment and seeing an error that you missed and didn't correct.

Aug 1, 14 10:34 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

you do have a window to edit your posts.  i suspect it's time-based, but not sure.

proofreading is a good habit :)

Aug 1, 14 10:42 am  · 
 · 
Menona

Tell me more about this edit window.  Me not want to sound like dummy on internets because of typographical error.

Wait - Saw it.  "Edit Comment" button.  Putting this in as an edit.  Thank you curtkram.

Aug 1, 14 11:01 am  · 
 · 
-------

It is time-based. It's something like 5, 10, or 15 minutes. Occasionally I have to use that feature.

I think the idea of being able to filter discussions by topic is a good one. Archinect already asks users to pick a topic for new threads, why not use that as a way to filter them? I also think a 10-post minimum is a good idea; it would help prevent spam and would also cut back on people joining just to ask a single question, never to be heard from again.

I don't like the idea of being able to up-vote or down-vote comments. I believe this feature would inhibit open discussion and would ultimately hurt the forum.

Edited to add:

Menona, right after you post a comment, look at the top-right, in line with your user name. For a short amount of time there will be an edit button there.

Aug 1, 14 11:01 am  · 
 · 

I vote we bring in emoticons that can properly vent our internet feelings.

Aug 1, 14 11:17 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

Architectural emoticons

Aug 2, 14 9:06 pm  · 
 · 

i would like to see some examples of architectural emoticons...

Aug 4, 14 7:19 pm  · 
 · 
gwharton

Corbu:  ( ͡ರ ʖ ͡ರ)

Parametrics:  日日日日日日日

Starchitecture:  ก็็็็็็็็็็็็็

(⌐■_■)

Aug 4, 14 8:38 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Does anyone know if it is possible to put a user on "ignore" or block their posts from being visible to you?

I feel like this would be the most immediate and low-impact solution of users getting annoyed with other users. It doesn't affect the forum experience for anyone who hasn't "opted in" and all the info is still there. 

Aug 23, 14 9:53 am  · 
 · 

It's a proven fact that blinders work.

Aug 23, 14 12:32 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

It is a great option. Or make it even more specific where you can ignore individual threads. 

I don't know what software Archinect forums run on, but it should have an option for something similar. Blinders work. 

Aug 23, 14 3:44 pm  · 
 · 

The simplest option by far is the one already employed for Academia: include or exclude.

Aug 23, 14 4:06 pm  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

Also silly. Just choose to not read. Why would anyone want to purposefully blind themselves?

I think it might be because some here want to turn Archinect into a big benign sofa.  Benign to their own perception - personally, I find that some of this benignancy may actually hide behind it malignancy. Such as  Miles' lrelaxed passing off of generalizing racist camel associations made in the Zaha Hadid news item. I mean, to me and to others, it was obviously racist. Did we call Archinect to ban Miles? No. Would I put Miles "on ignore" if I had that function? No.  He brings something to Archinect that sometimes interests me, even when its in spite of what I see to be his recalcitrant cynicism that contradicts itself on many occasions and on many occasions has nothing but his own self pleasing ego in mind. But this is also his right.

At different points, I found myself engaging positively with some people whom I would, on many many other occasions, engage with negatively (although, choosing to engage is itself a positive thing, unless it devolves into character assassinations - something that I've learned is obvious and unpalatable to other readers and will not help make your point).  This has only enriched Archinect discussions and would not have been possible had we started negating each other's presence here on Archinect.

I am  against all such silly childish measures of bringing technologies into Archinect that allow one to treat her or himself like a child, imposing self-censorship. Either read the post and choose to ignore it, or read it and respond or don't read it at all.

Or do you have a ridiculous compulsive addiction to read undesirable posts/posters and then ask Archinect to give you the prohibitive cure for this? Are you going to start up therapy groups as well? Geez, get a life, grow up.

Aug 23, 14 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Tammuz, I actually did not write this with the Israel thread in mind... But a certain user who is just incredibly annoying to me (and I have reason to believe) many others. Who is not you. 

They simply write a ton of shit, treat every topic as if they are an expert, and always need to get the last word in. It would be great if I didn't even know they were here.

For me, it would be less about substance, in that I am fine with divergent opinions, but the style of posting and engagement.

Aug 26, 14 4:39 am  · 
 · 
gruen

I have thought that the downhill slide of archinect began when the hardworking editorial staff abandoned ship for more solid ground during the recession. It feels rudderless now, and the forum interface is circa 2005. We are all used to more advanced forum interfaces (which are a good idea). I for one do not want to upvote or downvote - disagreements w other members make forums lively - but having active moderators is critical to any forum working well.

Most forums have topic areas - and you can read what you want - academia and political discussions off to the side, etc. 

Oh, and tammuz, shut up. 

Aug 26, 14 8:41 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

gruen, objective moderators are key.

I second your last point, but nothing will happen.

Aug 26, 14 9:01 am  · 
 · 

gruen, you mean the style of the interface is less important than the function? Blasphemy!

archanonymous, observant has not been here for some time now, and I can only think of one other that fits that description. I think it's an ego thing, having to 'win' by demonstrating 'superior' knowledge, ethics, or whatever in an anonymous forum. LOL

tammuz, one of the many differences between us is that I would put you on ignore. Mostly because you really have no idea that you've made your point until long after the forum is a smoking crater littered with debris. Some of us don't want a shit sandwich thrust in our face every waking moment ('news', advertising, war, death, rape and pillage, etc.), which doesn't mean we don't know or don't care or aren't active about such in our own lives, just that we come here for other reasons and quite possibly not to deal with that crap. Part of being a grownup is recognizing that other people have other interests, and respecting them. Move on. Better yet, be proactive in real life.

It would be nice to be able to jump to the last post in the news article comments ... as it stands you have to open the article and scroll to the bottom before you even have the option. But it looks nice ...

Aug 26, 14 10:07 am  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

Miles;

Mostly because you really have no idea that you've made your point until long after the forum is a smoking crater littered with debris.

Exactly which point or post/thread are you talking about? Its obvious that in the thread to which I think you're referring to, I'm addressing Archinect first and foremost, not you. This is obvious from the title. Secondly, in that same thread, there are obviously individuals who have differing views and some have attempted to sabotage the "point", as you call it. As such, on that thread, and not here or on any other thread, I give material to back up my view, material which you should know is not readily obvious to many other Americans - even if you, yourself, are well aware of whats going on. Your judgments are based on your own perceptions - well, you're not the only one here and it would be rather self centric if you think that my aim is to shove a "shit sandwich" (a repellent description for a rightful cause) in your face. Not everything revolves around you and your sensibilities, Miles. The abundance of material presented within that thread might have well been helpful to expose people to a reality that's reaching out to them...after a long history of a biased media that's been reaching out to them.

which doesn't mean we don't know or don't care or aren't active about such in our own lives, just that we come here for other reasons and quite possibly not to deal with that crap.

Again, who is "we"? A simple review of the aforementioned thread will make it obvious that amongst this "we", there are people who no only don't care, but have gone to the length of demonizing the victims; contrary to your, yet again, self centric perception. You are not "we" and once you get that I'm not necessarily addressing the you in the "we", you might get your head out of that other part of you. I have kept the content relevant to the thread contained within the thread for those willing to participate (positively or negatively) with it. I did not spam nor did I tell people to "shut up" or blow themselves up (comments that have obviously been addressed to me by people deliberately wanting to shutting off a discussion, typically not because their spastic egos find the topic unpalatable (ie "shit sandwich") but because they stand on one side of the divide

. As for the reason why you come here - I don't give a shit sandwich why you do. Again, do not generalize. This is "you"...not "we". I don't see Archinect policing us for our reasons to be here. You want to use Archinect as a big sofa in which to sink your turgid egocentric pickled behind in, by all means, go ahead. I'll use it for something else. If you can't accept that, then you are a childish  liar when you say:

Part of being a grownup is recognizing that other people have other interests, and respecting them

Finally, kindly spare me your condescending witlessness via  :

Move on. Better yet, be proactive in real life. 

It is obvious that I have an eponymously evident  "real life" aim in introducing the concerned thread (whether you agree with it or not) and really, what I do or don't do in real life is none of your  business. You spend a lot of time here on Archinect, condescending down to others and talking out of your cynical behind...do you see that as proactive? The fact is, what we do here can be proactive and I think its about time Archinect joins the worldwide movement to boycott Israel and remove listing of institutions and firms that propagate and facilitate colonialism  . Words, arguments and passing on information are real. None of this is about me or my person. Whereas a huge portion of your trite witlessly cynical comments are all about you and your cynical spasticism.

You are  deluded about yourself. You're rarely about the content and mostly about style. It is because I offended your stylistic sensibility that you erupt into spastic fits. I don't care. You and what you deem palatable in your benign comfy armchair that you want to find in Archinect are really inconsequential to me.

Aug 26, 14 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

tl:dr

Aug 26, 14 1:39 pm  · 
 · 

^ As I said ...

Let me paraphrase that for you: stirring a cesspool is not productive. All it does is make big stink. Which you seem to be particularly adept at. Does that make you feel important and successful? 

FYI that is a rhetorical question. 

Aug 26, 14 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

And let me simplify it for you. Don't open up the concerned thread if this is how you feel about it. You're the one dragging things outside the thread. Take your own advice and respect other people's concerns/interests. I'm not the hypocrite making suggestions about how useless or vile other peoples' contributions are here and, at the same time, telling people to respect each others' interests. My concern is well contained, you know where it is...avoid it. And mind your business.

Aug 26, 14 2:02 pm  · 
 · 

Sorry, everyone. I seem to have stepped in something and have inadvertently tracked it through this thread.

Aug 26, 14 2:14 pm  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

Again, Miles, condescension . You hardly give a crap about "everyone"; lets be honest; more importantly is that you make petty remarks. Does that make you feel important and successful?

You track yourself through, that's the issue. Again, mind your business please.

Aug 26, 14 2:23 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

no he's not, but i'm glad we could have this dialogue.

Aug 26, 14 3:36 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

So.... can this happen? Anyone from archinect? Are you even still here?

Aug 26, 14 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

I wish.

Aug 26, 14 9:02 pm  · 
 · 

Archinect: can we please have a jump to last comment link for articles?

Mar 2, 15 9:57 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

Do they read this?  Wouldn't it be better to go here:

Technical Support: [email protected]

Mar 3, 15 4:25 pm  · 
 · 

the forum is a market of ideas, shop around and just go for what you want, but limit the variety and things will die out.

Architecture nerds and political nerds can be the same person, no medication required

Things like the relevance of a boycott of Israel or Russia Both hot topic political issues but have real impact on our profession, Firms avoid Israeli clients so as not to displease Arab clients and firms chose not to deal with other clients in countries with less than robust civil court systems because they want to get paid.

It is almost impossible to predict what will be relevant for future discussions about architecture

as for fees or a toll on ideas I am also not a fan a dollar can be a lot for some folks to fork over to be heard

Over and OUT

Peter N

Mar 4, 15 11:55 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: